How do I generate random strong passwords for files (e.g. word, excel, audio) using 1Password ?

Options
HanBan
HanBan
Community Member

I signed up to 1Password in order to generate strong passwords for a range of files - excel, word, audio as well as folders. I do not want to store the files in 1password, I want to generate passwords that can be used to protect files and which can be stored in a 1passwords vault. I am working with a Mac the most up to date operating system.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• HanBan
    HanBan
    Community Member
    Options

Anyone able to answer my question or point me in the right direction?

• Dave_1P
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hello @HanBan! πŸ‘‹

Do I understand correctly that you're using the Protect Document function of Word and Excel and would like to use 1Password to generate and save the password used to protect your documents? If the answer is yes then you can generate and save a password by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Tap on the + button and then tap on Password.
    3. Give the item the name of your document.
    4. Click on the gear wheel and follow the prompt to generate a secure password.
    5. Tap Save.
    6. Hover over the password field and then tap Copy.
    7. Paste the password into Excel or Word when prompted to protect your document.

Let me know if that helps. 😊

• HanBan
    HanBan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P yes thank you thats exactly what Im trying to do! I can pretty much follow what you've said, other than could you tell me what the gear wheel is? I don't get a prompt to tap done, Is the gear wheel the spikey circle? If so when I tap on that it and it shows me the password, rather than click done I can click save. Does that sound right? Sorry I am an abolsute novice - didn't see the plus sign so had no idea how to generate a password. Would you recommend collecting such passswords under the fils and documents vault?

• @HanBan

I'm sorry for the typo, I did mean Save instead of Done and I've corrected the typo in the steps written out in my previous post.

Would you recommend collecting such passswords under the fils and documents vault?

The best way to organize the passwords would be to use Tags: Organize with favorites and tags. For example you can tag passwords for Word documents with a "Word" tag. This will allow you to easily find those passwords in the future.

Please let me know if this helps. 😊

• HanBan
    HanBan
    Community Member
    Options

HI @Dave_1P thanks so much. Im up and running!

• @HanBan

It's my pleasure. 😊

This discussion has been closed.