1Password informations accessible juste by using iPhone PIN code

Options
Florian_Krumm
Florian_Krumm
Community Member

Hello,
A few days ago I discovered something and I would like to know if it is possible to change it.

If I open an application and I use the shortcut above the keyboard to fill in the login fields, my iPhone tries to use FaceID to unlock 1Password and fill in the fields. So far everything is normal.
But if FaceID recognition fails twice, the iPhone suggests me to use the code I use to unlock my iPhone.
This is my concern, I would not like to be able to access 1Password information using only the PIN code of my iPhone.

So my question is: is it possible to force the iPhone to use my master password instead of my iPhone PIN?

I find that being able to access 1Password information only by using the iPhone PIN code is a security issue and should not be possible.

thanks in advance

FK

1Password Version: 1P. For IOS 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 15.3.1

Comments

• Hello @Florian_Krumm! 👋

I understand that you would like to have 1Password on your iPhone always require your account password rather than your device PIN if Face ID fails. In order to have 1Password require your account password in that circumstance please follow these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap Settings > Advanced > Security.
    3. Turn on Always Show Lock Screen for Password AutoFill.

Going forward you'll always be required to authenticate using either Face ID or your account password instead of your PIN.

I hope that helps. 😊

• Florian_Krumm
    Florian_Krumm
    Community Member
    Options

Great thanks a lot @Dave_1P
    I tested it and it works perfectly.

I have another question:
    this parameter that you asked me to activate, does it have a use in another case? or this parameter was added in the application only for this purpose?
    Because if this parameter has no other use, the small description below the parameter does not help the user at all to understand the use of this parameter.
    (I use the French version of the application, I don't know what is written on the English version).

Thanks again for your help.

FK

• @Florian_Krumm

I'm happy to hear that my suggestion helped. 😊

"Always Show Lock Screen" forces the use of the 1Password lock screen instead of using the iOS Password AutoFill interface. Whether you turn this setting on or leave it off depends on whether you'd like iOS or 1Password itself to handle the unlock process when filling in an app. For example, if you've turned off "Lock on Exit" in the main 1Password app then turning on "Always Show Lock Screen" would result in you not having to unlock 1Password again when filling if the main 1Password app is already unlocked.

Regarding your specific inquiry regarding the use of a device PIN code when using Password AutoFill we have some documentation here: About AutoFill security in 1Password for iOS

Please let me know if you have any questions.

• Florian_Krumm
    Florian_Krumm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the details ! @Dave_1P
    I understand the usefulness of this option now.
    The small problem I have is that the description that is displayed under the option does not help the user to understand the usefulness of it.
    In the French version of the application, the description of this option says that : ''Enable this setting if you always want to see the locked screen of 1Password when using the automatic password filling. ''

In my opinion this description should be changed to make the user understand better the usefulness of this option. Because personally without coming to ask the question on the forum, I could never guess the usefulness of this option.

Thank you very much for your answer !

FK

• @Florian_Krumm

Thank you for the reply. I agree that the "Always show lock screen" setting could be made clearer. The functionality of this setting, as well as the wording describing the setting in the 1Password app, is something that our developers have been discussing internally and I've forwarded your feedback to them to help move the discussion forward.

Thank you again for your feedback. 😊

ref: dev/core/core#10605

This discussion has been closed.