Import flow: how to get passphrase from 1Password?

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited May 2022 in SSH

When trying to import my first SSH key I got stuck because I had to enter the passphrase, which I have stored in 1Password...

For additional imports I first copied the passphrase from 1Password to the clipboard, but maybe you can create a better flow for this?

Comments

• teh_c
    teh_c
    Community Member
    Options

For me, I had all my keys stored as Document entries in 1PW before so I downloaded them to disk first.

Then, using '1Passwordception', I activated Quick Access to grab out the password for each key when the password prompt appeared during import... :D

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Quick Access?!

I thought about that after I had already imported all my SSH keys...

• Yeah Quick Access works great in situations like this. I also found myself stuck for a few seconds when the password was requested and then smiled when I remembered about our good friend Quick Access. 🙂

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• smithj
    smithj
    Community Member
    Options

I was bitten by this exact same thing, but I didn't know about quick access.

Really enjoying being part of this beta, I have learnt so much about a product I have been using for many years.

• ag_tyler
    edited February 2022
    Options

@smithj That's really great feedback for us - I'm sure there's something that we can do here to promote Quick Access better. I'll brainstorm with the team and see what we can do. We do mention Quick Access in our developer documentation but that's in reference to sharing your public key. I'll file an issue now and get something added to our docs in relation to this use case! Really appreciate your input here.

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

What's Quick Access?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

What's Quick Access?

A way to quickly access your data outside of the main 1Password window:

This discussion has been closed.