Is there a way for me to set a custom Length (More than 100 chars) in the Password generator?

Options

This is something I could do in the previous version (I now use Beta 8.6.0).

Previously I could not do this in the Desktop app, but I could do it in the Browser Extension. Now it's not possible in neither of those. When I go to my Browser extension and try to set a custom length, it will just default to 100 as if there was some sort of limit.

Is it possible to perhaps increase that limit? or at least make it possible for me to put any number in there? I think you've been adding a lot of amazing features and I think this would be a very important one.

Because of this limitation, I often find myself opening Notepad++ generating, copying and pasting until I get a greater length password.

Also, the Password Generator for the Desktop Version now uses less characters than before upgrading to version 8.

Is any of this on the roadmap or at least can I sort of "request" this feature?

I would really like to be able to do this as I was able to do it before Version 8 and I LOVE the new interface but this sort of functionality and flexibility is very important as well as this is my main Password Manager. Thank you!

1Password Version: 8.6.0 (80600043 BETA)
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: Windows 11 Version 21H2 (Build 22000.527)
Referrer: forum-search:Is there a way for me to set a custom Length (More than 100 chars) in the Password generator?

Comments

• Hey @yuJad6eY6u4cUi:

Glad to hear you're liking 1Password 8 so far! 😀

As you've noticed, there currently isn't the ability to set the length more than 100 characters in the password generator. With that said though, I've added your feedback to an internal issue we have on the subject. Thanks for your feedback as we work to make 1Password the best it can be!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#5142

• yuJad6eY6u4cUi
    yuJad6eY6u4cUi
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

Thank you for getting back @Jack.P_1P

I also want to add that the character set (Specifically symbols and special characters) of the password generator is now more limited than before, at least in the desktop app (Because it has always been more limited in the Browser Extension).

It would be nice to have a switch where I can use an extended Special Character set or something similar to generate my passwords (This is not the same as the ambiguous character switch which is no longer there either and it would be great if it were too).

I think improving these 2 features will be loved by a Lot of people, as I've seen a lot of conversation about them in many communities over the last few months, which is why I decided to post them here.

Though the Most important one for me, and I think for most people, is to be able to generate longer custom-length passwords.

Other than that, yes. I am very much enjoying my 1Password experience. I think you guys do an amazing job and the fact that someone from the team actually got back to me on a feature that is so important to me makes it even better.

I will keep recommending you guys. Keep up the great work.

• Hey @yuJad6eY6u4cUi:

The symbols in our password generator were selected to be compatible with most websites without having to need to generate passwords repeatedly to find one that matches. We want security to be as easy and convenient as possible, and the ability to tweak the specifics of the characters included, or the count of special characters took away from the most important two aspects of the password, length and randomness.

Thanks for your feedback! 😁 We love hearing kind words from people like you!

Jack

• yuJad6eY6u4cUi
    yuJad6eY6u4cUi
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P Definitely get it!! I think you're right. Not every user is an advanced user and even advanced users do need their passwords to be long and random.

In regards to compatibility and convenience, I have noticed it. Never really thought about it, though. But now that you mention it, in the past, I have had that issue of having to generate a password more than once because of the special characters, and since I upgraded to the new version with this different character set, you are right, I have not noticed any of those issues anymore.

I guess my only actual complaint is the password length lol. As I don't wanna be copying and pasting passwords into Notepad++ to get longer passwords haha!

Anyways. Thanks for getting back. All the best to you guys!

I'll be keeping an eye on the custom length feature :D

• Hi @yuJad6eY6u4cUi, thanks once again for the considerate words here - and we'll make sure to keep sharing updates in the forums as various aspects of the apps evolve. We always want to think carefully about how we can make things both secure and navigable for you, and we appreciate having the dialogue with you here!

This discussion has been closed.