How do I prevent 1Password from autofilling on specific urls?

I'm trying to figure out how to disable 1Password for specific websites. I understand that the first time I visit a url have the option to "Never Ask Again," but I don't know how to manually enable that feature for a website that I visit frequently.

I do want to maintain this site's account credentials in 1Password, including the username, email address, and site url, but I do not want the 1Password browser extension actually displaying on that url. Is there a way to achieve this?

I'm using Firefox.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.2 (70902004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Firefox Extension 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @matthewmagellan! Right now, there's not a way to disable 1Password for specific websites. However, we do have an internal feature request for this, and I can add your voice to it.

In the meantime, some ways to close out of the inline menu that you'd see on your sites is to:

• Press ESC on your keyboard.
    • Click on a blank area in the page to remove focus from the field.
    • Click the little 1Password icon on the right side of the field to toggle it off.

If you'd like to take things a step further and disable the inline menu from automatically appearing (on all sites), this can be done by going into the extension's settings page. Here are the steps for that:

1. Right-click the extension's icon on the top right corner of the browser and select Settings.
    2. Go to Autofill and turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option there.

I hope that helps for now. Let us know if you have any other questions!

• iresa
    iresa
    Community Member

In my case I am using another password manager for my private data and 1password for our company. It is very helpful that 1password shows up for everything new/unknown.
    But it is equally annoying that I have to
    1. right mouseclick
    2. disable for this site
    3. chose my other password managers suggestion
    for access to sites supposed not to be managed by 1password.

It is, by the way, very surprising from a user's perspective that "disable for this site" only lasts for the duration of the browser session. I thought there was an error in the application, until I read that this is how it is supposed to work. Actually this makes "disable for this site" close to pointless.

This has been requested already a while ago: https://1password.community/discussion/116572/disable-for-certain-urls
    That discussion has been closed.

I am adding my voice too, if that helps.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iresa thanks for the feedback. I will gladly share your thoughts with my team. I do know that the ability to turn off the inline menu on specific sites is something the devs are keen to implement. While I can't make any promises, I do hope that it can happen sooner rather than later.

IDEA-I-596

• whitcook
    whitcook
    Community Member

Has there been any movement on muting 1Password for a specific website? A website we use is glitching and we can't have 1Password interfering as we're trying to navigate their workaround.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @whitcook, I don't have a specific update to share. However, our product team and developers are aware of the interest in this. I can't make any promises, but we here in Support will continue to advocate for this on your behalf. Thanks for reaching out about it.

• Tomtids
    Tomtids
    Community Member

Please add our whole dev teams voice to this feature request. We really need to be able to disable 1password on selected URLS. Thank you!

• Hey @Tomtids,

I have passed your feedback on to our product team, thank you!

ref: PB33110541

• Pumbania
    Pumbania
    Community Member

Is it not as simple as not filling in the 'website' field? I believe that is the only field 1Password uses to find matching entries. If you do need to store the website, you can use the 'url' field, as that does not seem to be used for autofilling...

• Hey @Pumbania,

Yes that's right you can remove the website URL or mark an item to never fill on a domain. However, if 1Password thinks a field could be filled it will display 'No items to show' and this also doesn't prevent Identity items from appearing.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• dharmab
    dharmab
    Community Member

The identity item prompts on fields called "Name", which is helpful in 99.9% of websites. However, on some webpages, there are fields labeled Name which are not for my name, but rather the name of someone or something else. It would be lovely to disable all autofill prompts on a page in these rare cases- I'm currently using a webapp that has a Name field for every row I add to a form, and the prompts are very annoying there!

• Thank you for getting back to me @dharmab, I'm sorry for my delayed reply.

Can you send over the website URL's whereby 1Password is incorrectly suggesting your name? That way we can test them out and pass the sites on to our development team to see if we can improve the behaviour in a future update.

Thank you!

• AdaminDC
    AdaminDC
    Community Member

I can see this issue has been around for a while - and it presented itself to me today when I was adding a user to our SonicWall VPN. There were a couple of drop down menus in the domain section and I literally could not select one of the entries because 1Password kept on popping up trying to offer the password to the site. I looked at the entry to see if there was a "disable autofill" and there was not. The only way I was able to complete my task was by locking 1Password, making my selections, and then unlocking 1Password. It's not a dealbreaker - but definitely an annoyance in certain circumstances.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 17

@AdaminDC

If you right-click on the page and click "hide on this page" does it help? I rather like turning off the show inline menu automatically and then I'll need to click to inline icon to see any suggestions. You might also try that. I apologize for the annoyance.

Disable Shows autofill suggestions when a form field is in focus.