1Password Safari extension does not install?

Options
RickiKing
RickiKing
Community Member

I am struggling with the Safari extension for Beta 8.5.0.
Under => Preferences => Browser and then trying to download the Safari Extension, however I always only get the option to open the extension V2.1.4 and it does not show up in Safari under Preferences/ Extensions. I already completely unistalled 1PW 7 and rebooted, tried installing again without success.
What else can I do? Please note I am using the German Version so the translation of the menu items in this post might not be 100% right ;)

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: 12.1

Comments

• Hi @RickiKing:

Just to confirm you've installed 1Password for Safari and it's visible in your Applications folder, and you've launched it at least once, correct? If so, let's try refreshing Safari's extension registrations. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Open the Terminal app on your Mac: https://support.apple.com/guide/terminal/open-or-quit-terminal-apd5265185d-f365-44cb-8b09-71a064a42125/mac
    3. Paste the following into Terminal and then press enter to run the command: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app
    4. Open Safari and try to enable 1Password for Safari again.

Let me know how that goes!

Jack

• RickiKing
    RickiKing
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Jack. This worked. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Jack, you are welcome @RickiKing! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• RickiKing
    RickiKing
    Community Member
    Options

Just to let you know.
    For some reason Safari "forgot" the 1PW Extension exists. It did not show up under extensions anymore. I also could not re-install as the App Store kept telling me to "Open" the App. I had a SSD attached with a 100% rebootable copy of my Mac installation - maybe that killed something ;)
    I then did what Jack.P_1P recommended previously and it worked.
    Maybe you have as second look on resolving this "bug". For a "normal" user it is not very common to use the Terminal and run commands.
    Cheers.

• Hi @RickiKing:

Thanks for following up on this.

We've let our friends at Apple know about this behavior, but in the meantime, the best solution would be the steps I provided above. 😀

Jack

• jayzed
    jayzed
    Community Member
    Options

I had the exact same issue. Extension disappeared from Safari extensions list even though in App store it showed it installed. No matter what I did (uninstalled entire 1Password 8 and Safari extension, restarted computer, reset Safari etc) nothing worked but the suggestion above by @Jack.P_1P and the terminal command worked perfectly. Many thanks!

• On behalf of Jack, you're welcome.

• jayzed
    jayzed
    Community Member
    Options

hey @ag_tommy and @Jack.P_1P just letting you know that less than 24hrs after executing the Terminal command mentioned above the problem has recurred again. Extension has disappeared from the Safari Toolbar and if I go into Safari Preferences the Extension is nowhere to be seen.

I really hope I won't have to do the Terminal command every day...

• Hey @jayzed:

Thanks for checking back on this! As I mentioned above, we've let our friends over at Apple know about this behavior, but in the meantime, the best solution would be doing these steps as necessary.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.