Bug: Quit behaviour inconsistent

Options
fletchni
fletchni
Community Member

Hi - a potential bug.

If I quit from the menu or CMD/Q then I get the desired (and previous behaviour). Just the main app quits.

If I quit by right-clicking on the app on the Dock, then it also quits the Quick Access Menu bar as well.

(Edit: Just discovered that the Menubar app also quits if I quite while holding scrolling through CMD/TAB and then quitting from there).

(I took screen shots, but they came out giant sized when previewing here, so removed them)!

1Password Version: 8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.6

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @fletchni

We've had a lot of discussion about what it should mean to "quit" 1Password. It seems there are varying expectations. Some folks think quit should mean quit entirely, while others feel that it should be possible for the menubar icon and Quick Access to remain available when quitting. That's how we've ended up with the current state: there are different ways to quit 1Password, and they result in different outcomes. This means there is a way to achieve your desired outcome, whichever your expectations are. We're still gathering feedback on this and I'd be happy to add your thoughts to our internal tracker.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9943
    ref: dev/core/core#5319

• Cykelero
    Cykelero
    Community Member
    Options

Adding to this! (except the behavior seems different now?)

I instinctively quit the app using ⌘Q, which seems to quit it completely—the global shortcut becomes unavailable, and the Web extension is locked.

I'm not necessarily against challenging the status quo, but for sure this is a departure from the norm. In apps like Alfred, CleanShot, iStat Menus, Pictogram or DriveDx, ⌘Q does not terminate the background service, it only quits the visible app.

Some other apps do terminate their service when quitting with ⌘Q, but these are almost always apps with no Dock icon; where it's implied that you're interacting with a bit of UI that's part of the background service, not a separate app that talks to the service. Dash, Sleeve and Displaperture fall into that category.

I'd be strongly in favor of reimplementing 1Password 7's behavior, which had a separate, explicit way of completely quitting the app and service. It feels to me like this isn't part of regular, daily use of 1Password, so it deserves to be a different, deliberate action.

• Thank you @Cykelero - we appreciate you sharing your thoughts in detail here. I have included your insights into our internal discussion of the issue, with thanks.

This discussion has been closed.