[Mac] "Fill in browser" keyboard shortcut clobbers shortcut of non browsers

The keyboard shortcut for "Fill in browser" should only be active in browsers where 1Password has extensions installed.

As it is now it it active in all applications.

I use ⌘⌥F in iTerm for showing iTerms internal password manager, and that doesn't work when I have 1Password configured to use ⌘⌥F for "Fill in browser".

--
Best regards,
David Jack Wange Olrik

1Password Version: 1Password 8.5.0-17.BETA (8.5.0-17.BETA.91546)
Extension Version: 1Password for Safari 2.1.4 (20184)
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1 (21A559)

Comments

• aaronbushnell
    aaronbushnell
    Community Member

Having this same issue where the 1Password shortcuts are disrupting my keyboard shortcuts within VS Code. The default "Open in browser" shortcut of "CMD+/" is also what VS Code uses to toggle a comment.

• Hi @davidolrik and @aaronbushnell, thanks for the heads-up about this. I've passed this feedback on to our development team so they can look at how this might be improved. We appreciate hearing from you on this!

ref: dev/core/core#12917

• Hey @davidolrik / @aaronbushnell:

Thanks for your feedback on this. As it currently stands, we rely on the 1Password desktop app to listen for the autofill shortcut, rather than the extension itself. We're more limited in what keyboard shortcuts the extension can set, and to keep the muscle memory of ⌘ + \ working well, we configure that in the desktop app where we can use any character. Since this shortcut is set as a global shortcut to work in the context of your browser, it's always active, and can't automatically enable / disable depending on the foreground app.

The default "Open in browser" shortcut of "CMD+/" is also what VS Code uses to toggle a comment.

Just to confirm, the default shortcut is ⌘ + \, and shouldn't conflict with Visual Studio Code's default comment toggle, which is configured to ⌘ + / by default.

Let me know!

Jack

• davidolrik
    davidolrik
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P Maybe you could implement the global listener like Keyboard Maestro does?
    It allows you to say: This keybinding should only be active in these apps, and otherwise passthrough.

• davidolrik
    davidolrik
    Community Member

⌘\ never worked for me, as I'm on a danish keyboard where the \ is typed by doing ⇧⌥7

• Hey @davidolrik:

Thanks for your additional feedback here. We're always looking at improvements we can make. Additionally, we're also continuing our efforts to improve shortcut handling on all keyboard layouts, so stay tuned!

Jack

• aaronbushnell
    aaronbushnell
    Community Member

Just to confirm, the default shortcut is ⌘ + \, and shouldn't conflict with Visual Studio Code's default comment toggle, which is configured to ⌘ + / by default.

Ah, you're right, @Jack.P_1P. This might have been an old shortcut I configured in a previous version and just plugged that into my muscle memory. Thanks for clarifying!

• Glad @Jack.P_1P's information has been helpful here, @aaronbushnell. And thanks for letting us know about the issue!

This discussion has been closed.