email notification of login to 1Password

Options
outposttx
outposttx
Community Member

This morning I got two emails from 1Password in my gmail account: "New Sign-in: your 1Password was just used to sign into (name of my account) from 1Password for Chrome" and the same message except for "Safari". I don't recall ever having seeing these kinds of emails from 1Password and I've spent the last hour trying figure out if someone hacked into my 1Password account. What is going on here? Is this something I should expect everytime I sign it to 1Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @outposttx!

1Password has always sent these notifications emails as long as I can remember, so they are not new. Have you installed the 1Password browser extension in Chrome this morning perhaps?

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

I've never received email notifications from 1Password (and I'm not receiving them now).

1Password 7
    Version 7.9.2 (70902005)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@clarino:

Do you have a 1Password Membership?

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Yes, I have a paid family plan.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@clarino:

I would suggest you check your spam folder the next time you login to a new device. It's possible that the notifications have been ending up there. In case you would like to test this sooner, you could also login to 1Password.com in an incognito window in your browser.

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana: I tried an incognito window and, yes, you're right - I got an email. Sorry, I misinterpreted @outposttx and you. I thought you were saying earlier that 1P would generate an email every time I signed in to my account. Now I understand that you meant every time I signed in to my account from a new device.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@clarino:

Got it! Yes, you would get one notification every time you login from a new device or browser :)

• Meezer
    Meezer
    Community Member
    Options

I get these email messages "Your 1Password account was just used to sign in from 1Password for Safari." on a regular basis, sometimes more than once a day.
    I have seen other threads back in October and December saying it was a bug.
    I reached out to 1Password support and after 2 tries still didn't understand their answer or felt the person understood the question.
    I am using latest 1Password version and latest MacOs.
    Any thoughts on how to get rid of the emails?

• kevin.li
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi @Meezer,

I'm sorry about the problem you've been having with receiving multiple "new sign-in" emails, and I assure you there is no security-related issue.

I believe you are using 1Password for Safari on your iOS devices when you received those emails. We have received reports of this specific behaviour and are actively working on a solution, which we expect to include in a future update. At the moment, we don't have an estimate of when this will be, but we would recommend you keep 1Password up to date and check the release notes. Right now, it seems like this is more likely to be an error on the server-side, so it might well be that we don't need to update the apps on your devices to solve it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to report this to us. Again, I apologize that it's an inconvenience, and we hope to have a fix published soon. I have added your case to the ongoing investigation.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like any further help.

ref: dev/core/core#10342

• Meezer
    Meezer
    Community Member
    Options

You are correct, it is only with Safari. I use both MacOS and iOS but have not bothered to figure out which one is causing the issue or if they both are.
    I reached out to your tech support on Jan 17 and Jan 19 receiving responses that made little sense to me.
    A bug I can understand, although I believe it has now been outstanding for 6 months.
    You may wish to ensure that internally, your public facing folks are all on the same page for this (albeit minor) issue. It would save time.
    Thank you for the quick and concise response.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Meezer Sorry for any confusion from previous communication, but I do hope we've been able to clear things up. As Kevin mentioned, our developers are actively working on a solution for this. Hopefully it is something that will be resolved in the near future.

We appreciate your patience! Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

This discussion has been closed.