Clean up old installation cruft

Options
John_Endahl
John_Endahl
Community Member

So, I've been a longtime user of 1Password, since version 3 I believe. I've 1Password 4 on both Mac and Windows, and experimented with 1Password X, and now subscribe to the family plan. I've tried the various browser plug-ins (Safari, Chrome, Firefox) that 1Password has offered during this time, and while I'm confident 1Password is working for me, I feel like I have a lot of old cruft that needs to be cleaned up. For example, on my Mac, I can still use my old pre-family-plan "local vault" password to access 1Password, OR I can use my 1Password Family Plan password. On my Windows machine, I must use the family plan password. I am using the older 1Password extension in Safari, but there is a new 1Password for Safari extension that is now available, which seems to be different.

I'd like to get my installation to a state where it will be most compatible with future updates. I'm OK with always using my family plan password for consistency's sake. Are my "issues" unique, and what can I do to clean things up for future updating, especially if I take the step up to 1Password 8?

I posted a slightly snarky post to Reddit about this lack of cleanliness due to all the various upgrades, and was it was respectfully suggested I come here for some troubleshooting. Thanks for any assistance!

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 7.9.2
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Referrer: forum-search:Cleaning up old installation cruft

Comments

• Hey @John_Endahl:

Great questions, and glad to hear you've been a fan of us for so long! 🙂

If you've moved all of your items into your 1Password account and verified that they're all accessible on 1Password.com, you can remove your standalone vault using the steps here: Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

1Password for Safari is our newer extension, and doesn't integrate with 1Password 7, only 1Password 8 (currently in beta for Mac, available now for Windows and Linux). If you're going to continue using 1Password 7 on your Mac until the official release of 1Password 8 for Mac, sticking with the current extension in Safari, or 1Password in the browser for browsers other than Safari would be your best bet.

That should put you in a good spot for when 1Password 8 is the stable version on Mac! Let me know how you get on with that, or if you've got any other questions.

Jack

• John_Endahl
    John_Endahl
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jack, I appreciate the information, the links and advice. With my history, I think I'll hold off on the 1Password 8 beta until release. :-)

• @John_Endahl

When you're ready, let us know if you run into any issues with the steps that my colleague Jack posted. And keep an eye on our social media for announcements regarding the final release of 1Password 8 for Mac in the future! 😊

• John_Endahl
    John_Endahl
    Community Member
    Options

Already done, guys. Thanks. It appears all I needed to do was delete the old "Primary" vault, and now the only password recognized is the Family Plan password. I appreciate the assistance.

--> J

• @John_Endahl

I'm happy to hear that you're up and running. 😊

This discussion has been closed.