1Password desktop version locking up or failing to start

I love 1Password, but for the last several weeks, I have been experiencing strange behavior. There are a couple of primary symptoms:

1. In the Windows desktop version, the main screen (showing either Logins or Notes) will simply be blank or will repeatedly flash as though data is being processed but this continues for perhaps 60 seconds or longer. Sometimes the flashing stops and I'm okay to go, sometimes not.

2. I will start the Windows desktop version and things will load quickly, but after using the Notes or Logins for a while (and doing other things on the computer), 1Password will simply lock. It will appear to be responsive, but I cannot access any menus or display any information beyond what was on the screen at the time of lockup. I can use Task Manager to end the 1Password task, but restarting after that never works. Restarting the computer will fix things unless item number 1 above happens. During this time (of lockup), Task Manager reveals that 1Password is using 20-25% of the system's CPU--far and away the largest amount in use by the system.

Here what I am running on a Dell laptop:
1Password version 1.0.9.305
Chrome version 23.0.1271.64m with 1Password extension
Windows 8 Pro version 6.2 (build 9200) Note that the strange behavior of 1Password began prior to my installing Windows 8 but has become more frequent since the Windows 8 install.

I would appreciate any thoughts or help. Restarting four or five time a day is a bit of a drag.

Van Zeck

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2012
    Welcome to the forums, Van! Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. That does sound like a real pain. :S

1. Do you perhaps have some antivirus or other anti-something software which is performing realtime scanning on your system? What anti-stuff solution(s) are you using? Does it make a difference if you disable it?

2. Sounds likely related to the first issue. Where is your data located? Internal drive? External? Network share?

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us your Diagnostics Report? Select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File from the menu bar in 1Password. Then attach the report to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.

Once we see your report we should be able to help more. Thanks in advance!
  • Zeck
    Zeck
    Community Member
    Khad,

Thanks for the quick response. I will gather the Diagnostics Report information and, after the next lockup, send it to you. By the way, I'm using McAfee Security Center and have been for quite a while. I'll see if disabling it has any affect. Here's another possibility: Now that I have gone public with the problem, it might never occur again. Wouldn't that be nice?

Van
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It might not help us solve the problem for anyone else if it comes up again, but I'd be delighted if you didn't have any more trouble. :)
This discussion has been closed.