How to import Data from standalone version

D@ve
D@ve
Community Member

I've just created an account, installed the current version from 1pw and now I want to import my old data...

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/
Here it sais: "When you see, “Do you want to move any data that’s only on this computer to a 1Password account?”, click Yes."
But there was now message like that?

How can I manually trigger that?

regards, Dave

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @D@ve

If 1Password doesn’t ask you to migrate your data:

1. Choose Vault menu > Switch to Vault, and select a vault in your new account.
    2. Choose Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account.
    3. You can also move items manually and then remove your old Primary vault. To remove your Primary vault, choose Vault menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose Vault menu > Delete Vault.

Note: the Primary vault would need to be deleted from each device, though the data migration only needs to be done once. I hope that helps!

Ben

• D@ve
    D@ve
    Community Member

Choose Vault menu > Switch to Vault, and select a vault in your new account.

I don't understand. Of course I have no vaults in my account. I was using the stand alone version.
    The vault is on my NAS.

• @D@ve

Each 1Password account comes with a built-in Personal/Private vault. Have you already added your new 1Password account to the app? If you haven't then follow this guide: How to add your 1Password account to the apps

Once the account has been added to the app you can then follow Ben's instructions above if you're not prompted to migrate your items from the standalone vault automatically.

Let me know if that helps. 😊

• D@ve
    D@ve
    Community Member

Have you already added your new 1Password account to the app

To the old one? No I uninstalled the old versions and installed the new one. That is working fine.
    Now I want to import the old vault.

Was that a bad idea?
    I don't find any version to download where I can import the local vault...

• @D@ve

Which version did you use previously? Which version are you using now? The answer will determine the best path forward. If you'd like, we can continue here, or you can drop us a message at support@1password.com. From there, we can work with you via email to help resolve the trouble. The choice is yours.

That said, it sounds like you may be using 1Password 8 at this point but that is a guess. If so, you would reinstall 1Password 7 and connect the old vault to the setup. It may already be connected, and all you'll need to do is download the app. Add your account and complete the process. We're here to help, so please let us know more, and we'll try to get you on your way.

• Please remember this is a community forum, and do not post sensitive information here.
  • D@ve
    D@ve
    Community Member

I don't use email that much anymore. I prefer messenger or forum.

you would reinstall 1Password 7

Where to download? Which exact version? The version I tried didn't had the option to add a local vault, it just tried to convince me of the subscription...

• Hey @D@ve,

I don't use email that much anymore. I prefer messenger or forum.

I can totally understand that, however we're limited in the individualized support we're able to offer in this public forum. Due to the public nature, we cannot have you share a diagnostic report, for example, which would help us better understand your setup and the steps needed to get to the desired state. If you'd like to continue here, we can certainly try that, but ultimately we may need to move the conversation over to email if we get into specific details about your setup.

Where to download? Which exact version?

You'd need 1Password 7. The exact version doesn't matter — the latest version of 1Password 7 for whichever platform you're using. As of writing that'd be v7.9.2 for Mac or 7.9.828 for Windows. It doesn't look like we've covered which platform that is yet. Are you using a Mac or a Windows PC? In either event, you can download the latest version of 1Password 7 for that platform here:

AgileBits Update Server

The version I tried didn't had the option to add a local vault, it just tried to convince me of the subscription...

Right; so, as we're no longer selling licenses, all of the messaging in the apps is focused on membership. The instructions for adding a standalone vault will vary depending on if you're on Mac or Windows.

Mac

1. On the welcome screen select "Use a different method" in the left-hand side bar (at the bottom)
    2. Select "Don't have a 1Password account?"
    3. Select More Options > Search my Mac > Pick a different location > Choose a file on my Mac > select the OPVault file on your NAS

Windows

1. On the welcome screen select "Sync using folder"
    2. Select the folder (OPVault) where your 1Password data is stored

For either

Once you've added your standalone vault to the 1Password 7 app, follow the instructions here. Once migrated you can uninstall 1Password 7 and resume using 1Password 8 with the data in your 1Password account.

Please let us know how it turns out. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.