Android Firefox add-on

oking
oking
Community Member

I am new to 1Password and am following the setup instructions to add the 1Password add-on to Firefox on my Android phone. The "add to Firefox" button does nothing. When I manually download the file and try to open it I get an error message saying "No app found to open .xpi files." What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 11
Referrer: forum-search:android firefox add-on

Comments

• Hi @oking. Due to the limitations of mobile browsers, the 1Password browser extension won't work on mobile platforms like it does on desktop platforms. Instead, you'll need to save Logins according to these instructions:
    https://support.1password.com/getting-started-android/#create-and-manage-your-items

For automatic filling on Android, follow the instructions here:
    https://support.1password.com/android-filling/

I hope this helps! Let us know if you need anything else.

• tmakaro
    tmakaro
    Community Member

I'd like to point out that Firefox nightly on android does have the ability to (attempt to) install any firefox extension. I tried, but the 1password extension fails to install. It would be nice if you would use the nightly to test your extension, and then try to get it info firefox's list of curated extensions on mobile for the non-nightly version.

It's a shame that this is supported by bitwarden but not 1password. It would be worlds better than the default autofill since the default autofill cannot do credit cards and addresses.

• Hello @tmakaro thanks for your comments! First, I'd like to note that 1Password 8 for Android has added Credit Card and Identity filling. There is ongoing work to optimize our filling logic for mobile browsers but this change opens up some new options compared to 1Password 7 for Android. You can try out the 1Password 8 for Android beta here:

That being said, I can understand your interest in modifying 1Password in the browser for use in supported Android mobile browser. I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password but I have gone ahead and shared your feedback with the team. Thanks again!

ref: IDEA-I-1463

• tmakaro
    tmakaro
    Community Member

Credit card filling still doesn't work with firefox on android and 1P8. Also, firefox is loosening some restrictions on browser extensions on android: https://www.androidpolice.com/firefox-beta-107-android-install-any-browser-add-on/ finally.

• Hi @tmakaro, thanks for following up.

Filling credit cards and identity information with 1Password in Firefox is not currently supported and the changes required to do so are out of our hands. With other supported browsers such as Brave, Chrome, DuckDuckGo, Edge, Samsung Internet and Vivaldi, you can fill identities and cards in more and more places with 1Password.

I was actually looking at Firefox add-ons in the nightly earlier today. I wouldn't expect that the 1Password extension would work as is in Firefox mobile, but I think it would be a great space to expand into in the future. Thanks for sharing this with us!

This discussion has been closed.