Can't access 1 password on new computer. Worked on the old computer and works on IPAD

lanieb
lanieb
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password 7 for Windows

1password was working fine on our computer and it was working on ipad as well.
We purchased a new computer and thought we loaded all data into it. Now I cannot access 1 password on this computer. I have tried to enter the secret key along with the master password but I still can't get in. As I said, I can access via Ipad and phone using the touch option. I dont know what to do to get in and this is the computer where I do most of my work so I need to access it from here.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:master key not working

Comments

• Hi @lanieb:

Thanks for asking, and I'm sorry to hear you're running into trouble with accessing 1Password on your new computer.

Just to confirm, if you open and unlock 1Password on your iPhone or iPad and search for an item called "1Password Account", you should see your 1Password account, with your email address, sign in address, account password, and Secret Key. Are you able to successfully sign in to 1Password.com using the information there? If so, use the account details to add your account to the 1Password app on your new computer.

Let me know how you get on with that, or if you run into any trouble along the way, and I'd be happy to help!

Jack

• lanieb
    lanieb
    Community Member

Hi Jack,
    I'm sorry I still need help.
    I can sign into 1password on my new computer by following your directions. I can see all the passwords there. The problem is, when I go to a website and try to sign in, I click on the 1password "eye" icon in the sign in slot but it says no password found.
    When I do the same on my ipad or phone, it recognizes the correct password and signs me in. I'm not sure I made that clear.
    Can you give me better instructions in what I need to do? I tried to click on the link "add your account to the 1password app on your new computer" but could not figure out what to do.
    Thank you for your help. I was loving 1password before the new computer, and now I'm so frustrated. I do most of my work on the new computer, not my ipad so I really need to figure this out.
    Thank you,
    Lanieb

• Hi @lanieb:

Thanks for confirming, and I'd be happy to help get you up and running. Have you installed the 1Password app as well as 1Password in your browser? After you've installed both of those, you should be able to use the steps I provided earlier to add your 1Password account to the 1Password app on your new device.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• lanieb
    lanieb
    Community Member

Hi Jack,
    So I have installed the 1password app as well as 1password in the browser. When I try to sign in to the main family account, I get a message that says I need to sign out of one account before I can sign into the other account (which is the account with all the passwords). I can't see how to sign out of the account that I am in. Can you give me those directions?

• lanieb
    lanieb
    Community Member

Hi Jack,
    Its Linda again,
    Is there anyone I can chat with online? Its very difficult to troubleshoot this when there are hours between sending and receiving emails.
    I am able to open 1password from the app. I can see all my passwords in the vault. Im not sure what happened, but now the problem is when I try to fill a password, for example when I go on Wells Fargo and click on user name or password, I don't get the password icon, it doesnt even ask me for my 1password password. Its like it doesnt know I have a 1password account.
    My ipad still works with the 1password touch and lets me sign on.
    Help

• @lanieb

I'm sorry to hear that you're still running into issues with 1Password on your Windows PC. So that we can get you up and running faster, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• lanieb
    lanieb
    Community Member

[#JKG-64786-369]

• Hi @lanieb, thank you for this. 👋

We have received your message and will be in touch with you over there shortly. Thank you for your patience, and we'll look forward to resolving this for you!

• lanieb
    lanieb
    Community Member

Hi Peter,
    Thank you for your help with this issue. To answer your question, The information for the original 1password family account is the same. Same password and secret key on both the IOS device and the new windows PC.

To be clear, I can open 1password on my new PC. I can see all the password data I have created when I open it on my PC just as I see it on my IOS device. The problem is that on the Windows PC, when I go to a website for which I have a 1password password, and I am asked for the user name and password, there is no info coming from 1password. It doesn't even recognize that I have created that password in 1password. ie, no little eye icon shows in the slots and it doesnt ask me to open 1 password.

Here is another issue I have: Our original account is called 1password account (Larry Zilli's family). This is the account that I have always used. There is a 2nd account that was created when we first started with the service. It was created and I have the password and secret key for it. But there are no website passwords in this account. Basically it has never been used and I should just delete it. Could it be that 1password program is opening this 1password account and finding no passwords?

• Hi @lanieb:

As this is a public community, and we'll likely need to discuss specifics of your setup to ensure that everything is working properly, to protect your privacy and security, continuing the conversation via email would be best. To avoid duplicating our efforts, I'm going to close this thread. Please check for our response in your email inbox (look for a subject line containing [#JKG-64786-369]), and we'll continue the conversation there. Thanks!

Jack

ref: JKG-64786-369

This discussion has been closed.