Working with Tags

Options
DrPeril
DrPeril
Community Member

Hey all,

I've been using 1Password for... years, without looking, like 10+ anyway, and in that time I've never really given tags a lot of attention. Still, I've somehow managed to build up hundreds. Most, it seems, came from bulk license file imports from Mac Bundles and the like. Basically, it's all noise.

Now that I'm using a family plan, I need to double down on organization. Manually deleting software licenses that were imported as passwords was a massive amount of doing (feature request for being able to convert object types please) so I'd like to avoid manually deleting all the tags, especially since it's 3 clicks per delete.

I know there's no bulk tag management (another feature request please), but is there a way to just delete all of them? CLI, plist edit, Apple Script, whatever you've got!

Thanks,
~ Aaron

1Password Version: 7 current or 8 beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 12.2.1

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I think the easiest way is to export all the items into a 1PIF, remove the "tags" array in each item:

That 1PIF export is not pure JSON - it is a list of JSON items separated by a 1Password item separator, a single line containing:

***5642bee8-a5ff-11dc-8314-0800200c9a66***

You could use the cli to export all your items as JSON, and then use jq to edit out that section, and then re-import that JSON.

I don't know if the cli v1 can do this. You can't assign an empty value using the edit command.

• Hi @DrPeril:

Thanks for your feedback on this. I've shared your thoughts internally about better tag management, especially when it comes to deleting multiple tags at one time. 🙂

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-469

• DrPeril
    DrPeril
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MrC, I'll give it a go. Editing jSON is way easier than any of the 1P options!

Hey Jack, thanks for bringing it up!
    It's odd to me that we have access to bulk data points like tags but have no real way to manage them. With all the fantastic improvements coming in 8, maybe it's time to do a little retrospective on how some older, minor, or otherwise overlooked features could be brought up to date eh :)

• You're very welcome @DrPeril! 😀

Please feel free to get in touch if you need anything in the future.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.