[Linux + Brave] Integration with 1Password App not working properly

Options
emmedema
emmedema
Community Member
edited December 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello, I am having an issue with Brave on my Ubuntu machine.

I have the 1Password App working as expected, and I installed the browser extension on both Firefox and Brave.
My expectation is that, if I unlock the App, it should unlock the browser extensions too. This is how I have always seen it working in MacOS too.

On Firefox, everything works as expected and unlocking via the App does indeed unlock the browser.

On Brave, however, this does not work. The extension remains locked, independently on the state of the App. Additionally, I have the extension installed in 2 different profiles (Work and Personal) and even unlocking one of them will not unlock the other. Also, I tried having both App and extensions locked, unlocking the extension: that did not unlock the App either.

What I tried to fix things:

• updated Brave to latest version
  • updated extension to latest version
  • updated 1Password App
  • verified that "Integrate with 1Password App" setting in the extension Settings is activated, and it is, but it seems to be ignored.

Other things to note about my setup:

Can anyone help with the above issue? It's quite bothersome, to say the least.

Thanks
Best

1Password Version: 8.4.1 (80401002)
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Linux Ubuntu 20.04

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @emmedema ,

Sounds like we might need to investigate this a bit further, but before we do please try this:

1. Turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option in the extension's settings in Brave.
    2. Turn off the "Connect with 1Password in the browser" option in the desktop app (Preferences -> Browser)
    3. Reinstall Brave, then open it at least once. No need to completely remove it and your user data, just reinstall the browser.
    4. Reinstall the 1Password desktop app, then open it and enable the "Connect with 1Password in the browser option".
    5. Enable the "Integrate with 1Password app" option in the browser, test and see if the two are integrated now.

In case that didn't work, we'll need you to send us the following to support+x@1password.com:

• emmedema
    emmedema
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, that did not help at all (in fact, it was quite bothersome, because I did lose all of my user data by reinstalling Brave, including profiles etc...).

I will send the email with the required info.

Thanks

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @emmedema ,
    Thanks for sending the required info.

My apologies for losing your browser's user data, not sure why it was deleted but I hope it won't be too much of a hassle to get all of your settings and extensions back! :angry:

• acarlton
    acarlton
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

I'm also experiencing 1Password not working correctly with Brave Browser. Running:

Ubuntu: 21.10
    Brave: Version 1.36.111 Chromium: 99.0.4844.51 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password Extension: 2.3.0
    1Password: 8.5.0

Working fine on this system with Chrome.

edit: typo

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @acarlton! It wasn't clear if you're running into the same exact issues as the original poster. To clarify, what steps are you taking to use 1Password in Brave, and what unexpected behaviors are you seeing?

• acarlton
    acarlton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Joy_1P - thanks for the reply.

I have 1Password installed as a desktop application in Linux. I am also using 1Password in Brave as a browser extension. When I encounter a login form in my browser to fill, the Brave extension asks me to input my master password and unlock my vaults even though the desktop application is already unlocked. There seems to be no communication between the two.

I also use Chrome for some purposes, and it behaves as expected - I don't need to unlock my browser extension if the desktop app has been recently unlocked. If the desktop application is unlocked, the extension passes me to the desktop application unlocking workflow and I am able to unlock using biometrics (fingerprint, for example). This never happens from Brave.

Hope this helps - let me know if it's not clear.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @acarlton sorry for the delay here. I'd like to see if turning off the "Integrate with 1Password app" feature and then turning it back on can make a difference:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Fully quit 1Password app and browser.
    4. Restart the 1Password app and then open browser.
    5. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    6. Under General, re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    7. Test things out with the extension in Brave.

If that doesn't help, I'd like you to send over your extension's console log so we can take a closer look at what may be going on:
    https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/

Attach the logs to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• acarlton
    acarlton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Joy_1P -- I sent the email with the required log file to the support email address.

However, I was looking at my machine today and noticed that I had installed Brave Browser via the Snap package. Brave website says that recommended installation is via the Debian package, so I decided to reinstall. After the reinstall, 1Password seems to be working as expected so far. I'll keep testing and report back if I find any issues, but I think it's safe to resolve my case.

Perhaps there is some difference in the 1Password process identification between the Debian and Snap packages that could use an eye in the future, though.

Thanks for your support!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@acarlton Thanks for following up! I'll check with our Linux support team about the Debian and Snap packages. In the meantime, I'm really glad things are working well now! Please feel free to reach out again if you need any help.

• p4gs
    p4gs
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @emmedema Did you ever get this working? I was having this same issue on 22.04. After doing a lot of research, I came to realize that the problem likely stemmed from the fact that I was installing 1Password and Brave via the Ubuntu Software Store (Snap). Installing 1Password from the store installs it as a sandboxed application so it can't connect to the Brave browser extension. Likewise, installing Brave from the store installs a less-than-fully-functional version of Brave according to Brave themselves

The way I fixed this for myself was by doing the following:
    1. Completely uninstall 1Password and/or Brave if you installed either of them via the Ubuntu Software Store (Snap)
    2. Install Brave using apt](https://brave.com/linux/#debian-ubuntu-mint)
    3. Install 1Password using apt

• emmedema
    emmedema
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @p4gs, I can confirm that, indeed, the issue was Snap!

As soon as I reinstalled Brave via apt and re-linked everything, all worked fine!

Thank you so much to you (not least for actually @ me, so I would get the notification :) ) and to all those that previously mentioned this solution.

• Hi @emmedema:

I'm glad to hear that @p4gs was able to get you sorted (thanks for the assist! 😎). Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.