1P8 Secure Input issue causes Macos accent menu to stop functioning

Options

Whenever 1P8 causes the secure input feature to lock, it also stops the Macos accent menu feature to stop functioning. For example, if you long press the "e" key, you'll see a popup with a selection of accents. However, with secure input enabled, this doesn't work and instead continuously repeats the character, so instead of "é" one gets "eeeeeee...". As I write in both English and French, I use this feature a lot. This means I need to find the 1P8 window, click on it and login into 1P8 in order to be able to use accents in my French writing.
This was not a problem in 1P7 and before, but for some reason 1P8 now locks the secure input feature, even when 1P is in the background.

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3 Beta

Comments

• @jamesrose_sf

I am not seeing that behavior on the latest nightly. Are there any other steps I might need to reproduce this? I left 1Password unlocked, in edit mode and backgrounded.

Note: I am not on the macOS beta as you are.

• jamesrose_sf
    jamesrose_sf
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy, it doesn't happen all the time, but I can detect it using another application I use (aText), which shows me that secure input is enabled. When it shows that secure input is enabled, I'm not able to do accents. FYI, aText can't really tell who is causing this, but it is 1P that enables secure input, as once I click on 1P8 and Touch ID, then the secure input shows as disabled on aText and I can type accents.

• Hi @jamesrose_sf , thanks for the details you've provided here. I wonder: does this happen consistently for you when editing an item? We'd like to identify the specific situations where this is occurring for folks, so that we can respond most effectively. We'll be interested to know if that produces any consistent result for you! And thank you again for showing us the issue.

• jamesrose_sf
    jamesrose_sf
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P, here are some steps that always make it go into that mode on my M1 MBP:
    1. Click on 1P8
    1. ->Lock Screen
    2. Wake computer: Secure Input is Enabled
    3. Click on 1P8 anywhere on the app: Secure Input is still enabled
    4. Click on red Touch ID button in 1P8: Secure Input is disabled
    5. Put finger on Touch ID button: 1P8 unlocks, but goes back into Secure Input is enabled mode
    6. Click anywhere in 1P8: Secure Input is disabled.

I hope that helps. I can do a screen reconrding if that helps. Also, installing aText helps you see this easily.

• Hi @jamesrose_sf, thank you for the specific and detailed steps to reproduce! I'll give this a test and will run it by some of our teammates here as well to see what we can learn about this. Thanks again, and we'll hope to have more for you going forward.

• jamesrose_sf
    jamesrose_sf
    Community Member
    Options

It's been fixed in the latest beta and the issue is no longer occuring! Thanks @PeterG_1P!!!!!

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thats's great news. You're welcome on behalf of PeterG_1P.

This discussion has been closed.