Search results - extra stuff?

Options
John Mc
John Mc
Community Member

So, I did a quick search for "pal" for a Paypal password. Works, but recently another result has started showing up that doesn't have 'pal' in the record at all. Any thoughts as to why I'm getting an extra result? No real harm, but...

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.2 (70902004)
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: 11.6.2

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hey @John Mc

Any chance the contents of the password contain 'pal' (not case sensitive)?

Ben

• John Mc
    John Mc
    Community Member
    Options

The king arthur password does not contain the string "pal" (that was the first thing I checked).

• Ben
    Options

The plot thickens. 😄 If you create a new item and input the same details (title, username, password, website), does the new item also appear in the search results for "pal"?

Ben

• John Mc
    John Mc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - just getting back to this (busy work weeks)

If I duplicate the King Arthur item, then the duplicate shows up in the "pal" search.

if I create a new item, copy and paste all the fields into the new entry. The new entry does not show up in a "pal" search.

• John Mc
    John Mc
    Community Member
    Options

I may have some insight... I was having trouble finding a login, so I entered as the search term an old password, and found the login - even though that old password wasn't in the current record at all. I'm not sure that's good or bad, but it might explain the results from my original posting

• Ben
    Options

@John Mc

If you view the password history on the item, does it appear there?

Ben

• John Mc
    John Mc
    Community Member
    Options

Curses - no, the "PAL" string was not in password history. It was a nice thought. (DOES search search password history, or was that a fluke).

Still leaves our puzzle....

• Ben
    Options

@John Mc

If creating a new item and copy+pasting the data over (then deleting the original item) results in this behavior not happening, that is likely the quickest/easiest solution here. If you want to dig deeper, we can, but at this stage it is unlikely the search behavior in 1Password 7 is going to change, regardless of what we find.

If you would like to dig deeper, here is what I'd recommend:

1. Open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and enable the Copy JSON option
    2. Right click on the item in question in 1Password's item list and choose the Copy JSON option [note: this will put all of the data about this item, including the password, on your system clipboard]
    3. Open a plain-text editor such as BBEdit
    4. Paste
    5. Cmd+F and search for pal

This could give you some idea of where in the item this text is coming from. I hope that helps!

Ben

• John Mc
    John Mc
    Community Member
    Options

Dunno. Only instance of pal is in the json tag drupal_name. would that count? :)

{"value":"JohnMc","id":"drupal_name;opid=__8","name":"drupal_name","type":"T"}

• Ben
    Options

Yep; that seems to explain it. That would be form data that was captured from the web form when saving the item using the 1Password browser extension. 👍🏻 That also explains why duplicating the item doesn't change anything (the duplicate would retain this data), but creating a new item manually does (a manually created item wouldn't have captured form field information).

Ben

• John Mc
    John Mc
    Community Member
    Options

Cool. Does seem to be a bit of a bug though, from a user point of view. Can we get this on the 'long term lets see if we can address this' backlog?

• Ben
    Options

@John Mc

1Password 8 for Mac is coming soon, and it has an entirely different search system than 1Password 7. I would recommend trying it out, and see if it behaves the way you'd prefer for this case. You can read more about the v8 beta here.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.