Chrome Extension Suddenly Empty & Other 1P8 Behavior

Options

Before my morning coffee but because of the delightful 1P experience in Chrome/Windows I've taken to signing in directly in the browser extension. Today it reported that is was empty of all entries. I closed the browser and promptly and opened 1P directly and found entries. Just to make sure no components get .any bad ideas from other components, I promptly then uninstalled the chrome extension from the browser. I'm awake now and reminded once again that sync is not a backup. I'll keep the browser extension down until we investigate this. It's too high of a risk. I see sync issues in the support history so hopefully something like that. What is a safe backup - export?

Soo now that have a thread open and because I've designed and built so much software and hardware have noticed a few things. Dr's make the worse patients and developer/architects make for sometimes gripey, picky users. LOL.

1. Vault lock timing not always in sync between extension and program. The extension behaves more unpredictably and when this behavior is demonstrated, it's almost always the extension locking when the program is unlocked. Makes for a few extra logons that I feel I can't manage.

2. New sign reporting from chrome. Everything is new all the time. I have hundreds of emails. Does not matter extension or main program, it's all new to both of them. A lot of other software does this as well. I do use a pretty aggressive browser cleaner but for this to be a true security tool it can not be based on history removal ... or insertion - for some wicked person with very little else to do who want's in without triggering an alert.

3. I love what the browser extension does but it's a bit too eager. There has been more than one occasion where click space was tight and I almost could not get work done in another interface because of 1P offering to do insertion on too many input-able fields. I work through the interfaces of a lot of hardware products and the 1P extension is treating everything like a consumer website. Most of the above problems come from 2FA field miss identification.

4. Speaking of 2FA, yours seems unnecessarily weak. Roadmap for this? As I seem to remember it has to be in some sort of clearing house. Current program succeeds if there is a QR code - period. Creates a backup, syncs across multiple devices. I like the idea of using 1P for 2FA but have never been able to succeed. It's never in the allowed list.

Well for now, I'd really like 1P to move back safely into a browser extension. The shock has worn off a bit, going to get coffee ...

Greg

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: Sorry deleted think it was 2.2.3
OS Version: Win 10 v64 21H2
Referrer: forum-search:Chrome extension has no entries

Comments

• Hi @Greg1634z3:

Thanks for all your detailed feedback here!

Before your numbered list of questions, it sounds like 1Password in Chrome may not have connected properly to our servers. Reinstalling the 1Password extension should get you up and running again.

1. Is this with the desktop app integration enabled or disabled? If integration has been disabled, either in the extension settings, or the desktop app settings, the extension and the app will have completely separate lock timers and states.
    2. We do store setup information about your configured 1Password accounts in Chrome's settings. Using aggressive browser cleaners will reset this and cause it to be recognized as a new session and require signing in. Are you clearing your history from Chrome, or using a third party app to manually clean this out?
    3. Pressing escape will close the in-line menu. Additionally there's an option that can be accessed by right clicking the 1Password icon in Chrome's toolbar to not show the autofill menu on field focus, which might also improve the state of play for you.
    4. Would you mind elaborating on this? Are you referring to using 1Password to act as two-factor authentication for other services, or securing 1Password with two-factor authentication? If a service is suggesting Google Authenticator, generally you should be able to use 1Password in the browser to scan the QR code and copy it to your clipboard, like so:

Let me know, and I can dig into it further with you!

Jack

• Greg1634z3
    Greg1634z3
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. By the numbers above:

1. I did have integration turned on in the app. Extension uninstalled but will make sure of the setting when I reinstall into Chrome.

2. Yes on 3rd party cleaning tool called R-Wipe & Clean from R-Tools. They make some pretty powerful low level tools. I 'm attaching a list of cleanable items that have been checked. Perhaps one will jump out. I can set exclusions. I want to deep clean my system, I don't want to have this issue with 1P again.

BTW, this is the only tool I have found that can successfully manage Windows bloat up to instability over time. Before this tool and with earlier versions of Windows 2 years before reinstall. With this tool, 1 install for the life of the device. You can really, really wreck your system however, so best for the tech oriented (who will just end up double wrecking their systems, self included lol). Let me know, what should not go...

1. Righteous adaption - works well. Will try escape for a while and see if the other setting needed. Just proves you should feel free to hit some keys somedays, sometime when you are stuck and no more harm can be done. I've found major bugs by elbow dancing on the keyboard before - the value of out of context or dialog view point escape input :-).. I've also managed to crash quite a few spam call voice response units this way and this really makes me smile when my head hits the pillow.

2. Yes on 1P for 2FA. I'll give it another try and see what I get. Agree if the QR is there it should work.

3. Imbedded question so pull this out for clear answer. How to off line backup 1P data? Encrypted with master on copy out?

Thanks! Greg

• Greg1634z3
    Greg1634z3
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. By the numbers above:

1. I did have integration turned on in the app. Extension uninstalled but will make sure of the setting when I reinstall into Chrome.

2. Yes on 3rd party cleaning tool called R-Wipe & Clean from R-Tools. They make some pretty powerful low level tools. I 'm attaching a list of cleanable items that have been checked. Perhaps one will jump out. I can set exclusions. I want to deep clean my system, I don't want to have this issue with 1P again.

BTW, this is the only tool I have found that can successfully manage Windows bloat up to instability over time. Before this tool and with earlier versions of Windows 2 years before reinstall. With this tool, 1 install for the life of the device. You can really, really wreck your system however, so best for the tech oriented (who will just end up double wrecking their systems, self included lol). Let me know, what should not go...

Unable to upload. Where can I do that so you can see what is cleaned that should not?

1. Righteous adaption - works well. Will try escape for a while and see if the other setting needed. Just proves you should feel free to hit some keys somedays, sometime when you are stuck and no more harm can be done. I've found major bugs by elbow dancing on the keyboard before - the value of out of context or dialog view point escape input :-).. I've also managed to crash quite a few spam call voice response units this way and this really makes me smile when my head hits the pillow.

2. Yes on 1P for 2FA. I'll give it another try and see what I get. Agree if the QR is there it should work.

3. Imbedded question so pull this out for clear answer. How to off line backup 1P data? Encrypted with master on copy out?

Thanks! Greg

• Hey @Greg1634z3:

Thanks for following up here.

We were discussing which option in your cleaning software might be the cause of resetting 1Password in Chrome, and disabling "Web Databases" should most likely improve your state of play. After re-adding your 1Password account to the Chrome extension, let us know if future uses of your browser cleaner result in your 1Password data being cleared from Chrome.

Imbedded question so pull this out for clear answer. How to off line backup 1P data? Encrypted with master on copy out?

As it currently stands, there are two export formats in 1Password 8. CSV, and 1PUX. 1PUX is an unencrypted complete backup of items. We're planning an encrypted export format (1PEX), but I don't have any timelines to share just yet on when we'll be adding that. Additionally, while export from 1Password 8 is available, importing the 1PUX/1PEX file isn't something we've finished just yet. Everything in your 1Password account is automatically backed up, and you can restore version history of an item, as well as recover a recently deleted item entirely: View and restore previous versions of items

Jack

• Greg1634z3
    Greg1634z3
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jack and team,

I will give this a try tonight. I did reinstall the Chrome extension yesterday and after a day of use, I went through RTT Wipe&Clean settings. They will show you the contents for every category of cleaning. I went through the long list looking for likely suspects with any hint of 1P or Agile Bits. Oh man, soooo much stuff being kept by Chrome. Nothing jumped out so I cleaned then reinstalled the extension. Today I enjoyed the great extension experience but after reboot 2, we were back to empty. I've removed the extension, I'll reboot and then take web databases out of the clean list and see how we do tomorrow. Thanks!!! The cleaning is more about execution bloat rather than MB savings so I am very ok with disabling any cleaning category that causes problems.

Ok with state of backup for now. Sometimes extra data protection steps actually lead to more likelihood of unintended disclosure than reduction of loss. The goals and plans sound like a good path for a last resort recovery.

Thanks all

Greg

This discussion has been closed.