Trouble searching for credit card / bank account numbers

• If I search for the first four digits of a credit card number, matches show up in the dropdown search list, and in the "Show All Matching Items" list when I hit CMD-Enter. Great!
  • But if I search for the last four digits of a credit card number, matches show up only in the dropdown search list, but not in the "Show All Matching Items" list when I hit CMD-Enter. Weird!
  • I thought I used to be able to search for bank account numbers as well, but no longer. For example, if I have a bank account with account number ending in 5678, searching for "5678" shows no results, either in the dropdown search list or in the "Show All Matching Items" list when I hit CMD-Enter. Sad!

Separately, just now when filling out the "Additional Information" section below, I noticed that, on my Mac, selecting menu item 1Password -> About takes me to the top pane of my preferences screen (same as selecting 1Password -> Preferences). I think it should instead take me to the bottom pane (labeled "About").

1Password Version: 80600043
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.2.1

Comments

• Hey @dgbeecher:

Thanks for asking! We're still constantly making improvements to search, and I've brought up your thoughts internally.

As for the About menu, this is something we're investigating as well, and hopefully have smoothed out soon. Thanks for letting us know!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9056
    ref: dev/core/core#13027

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Re: the second item:

• But if I search for the last four digits of a credit card number, matches show up only in the dropdown search list, but not in the "Show All Matching Items" list when I hit CMD-Enter. Weird!

This behavior changes depending on what's stored in the number field.

If it's formatted as 1234 5678 1111 9999, with spaces, it WILL appear when you CMD_Enter.
    If it's formatted as 1234567811119999, with no spaces, it WON'T.

AFAICT the current search only matches at delimiter boundaries. This is also why you can't search for the last digits of a bank account number.

Lack of substring search is bad enough for Title and URL. It's crippling for other fields.

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Regarding the second item -

This behavior changes based on how the number is stored.

If it is stored as 1111 2222 3333 4444, with spaces, 4444 WILL match.
    If it is stored as 1111222233334444, no spaces, then it will NOT match.

Note that it is always displayed with spaces; edit the entry to see how it is actually stored.

AFAICT this is because search only matches at delimiter boundaries, and does not perform substring search. This is painful enough for Titles and URLs, but it's brutal for other fields.

This is likely what's happening to bank account numbers as well.

I deeply hope that substring search returns!

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member

Wow, @volts, great sleuthing, thank you for figuring that out! Yes, for me to it seems that this is what's going on.

I'm noticing some difference in behavior between banks accounts and credit cards.

For credit cards:

• If it is stored as 1111222233334444, no spaces, then a search for "4444" will show up only in the dropdown search list, but not in the "Show All Matching Items" list when I hit CMD-Enter. As I pointed out in my first post, this is totally weird and cannot be the intended behavior; right??
    • If it is stored as 1111 2222 3333 4444, with spaces, then a search for "4444" will show up in both the dropdown search list, and in the "Show All Matching Items" list when I hit CMD-Enter. This is the expected behavior!

For bank accounts:

• If it is stored as 1111222233334444, no spaces, then a search for "4444" will not show up anywhere.
    • If it is stored as 1111 2222 3333 4444, with spaces, then a search for "4444" will show up only in the dropdown search list, but not in the "Show All Matching Items" list when I hit CMD-Enter. Notice that this is akin to the behavior for a credit card stored as 1111222233334444. So even the weird behavior is not consistent between different item types.

And besides, bank account numbers are not usually presented with spaces, so I never enter them with spaces. Despite this, it is often useful to be able to identify bank accounts by their last four digits.

I, too, deeply hope that substring search returns!

• volts
    volts
    Community Member

It's really non-intuitive that searching for go.com doesn't find bingo.com or embargo.com or ginkgo.com at all.

But searching for go.com does return a bunch of google.com results.
    ... and other domains starting with go and ending with com.
    ... and passwords containing segments starting with go.

• Hi folks, thank you for the feedback about the search feature here. We are keeping track of the use cases you've shared and appreciate you letting us know about what you're running into.

ref: IDEA-I-527

• Hi @volts / @dgbeecher:

I'm just following up to share something you might be interested in, available in the latest nightly (80901013) 😀

1Password will now do additional substring searching, so searches for "go.com" will now show bingo.com and embargo.com:

Additionally, substrings inside credit card or bank account numbers will be surfaced when "Show all matching items" is selected:

Let me know how you two get on with this!

Jack

• volts
    volts
    Community Member

Thank you! I'll look more later.

1-second impression: THANK YOU

• 🎉 You're most welcome.

This discussion has been closed.