Option to show MD5 fingerprint for SSH keys

Options
andyshinn
andyshinn
Community Member

Thank you for adding SSH key storing support. Very helpful instead of having to save as a note or a password field without line breaks.

One feature I would like is the ability to see the MD5 fingerprint at a glance. Systems I use SSH keys with (AWS and CircleCI) show the RSA key fingerprints as MD5 hashes instead of SHA256. This makes it difficult to correlate keys at a glance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for your feedback! MD5 support for fingerprints is on our list. For now, you can display them using ssh-add -l -E md5.

• Endareth
    Endareth
    Community Member
    Options

Just wondering if there's any progress here. I've currently got about 50 SSH keys I'm trying to cross-check with AWS key pairs (which uses an MD5 signature), and I really don't want to have to export every single one from 1Password, check, and scrub, if I can avoid it!

• Endareth
    Endareth
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Just realised I can enable the 1P ssh-agent to help with this :-)
    I don't have it as my default ssh-agent, as I use that for my YubiKey, but as it doesn't seem to interfere, I can still enable it and then just:
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t/agent.sock ssh-add -l -E md5

• Endareth
    Endareth
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Except apparently AWS don't use the standard method of generating the MD5 hash… (see https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/verify-keys.html)
    I give up, no other option then exporting all the private keys and churning through them. Oh well :(

edit: And the 1 hour edit limit here is annoying ;-)

• rblenkinsopp
    rblenkinsopp
    Community Member
    Options

I'd really like to see this as well, do we have any progress? It feels like a small lift to support it and would massively help with usability with certain services. As much as I'd love everyone else to support SHA256 fingerprints, many major services currently don't.

This discussion has been closed.