Browser Extension stopped working today with Google Chrome 99.0.4844.74

Options
redamo
redamo
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

As of today I'm unable to use the Browser Extension in Google Chrome, it says "1Password can't verify the identity of your browser". I've tried all solutions including:

• restarting the browser
  • restarting the computer
  • reinstalling Google Chrome
  • reinstalling the extension
    None worked. Any ideas?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7

Comments

• Hi @redamo:

Thanks for reaching out! On March 15, Google released Chrome 99, which contained a new code signing certificate. Because of this change, 1Password 6 for Mac no longer works in Chrome 99 or later. The last major update to 1Password 6 for Mac was almost 4 years ago, and as 1Password is a security product, we strongly recommend keeping it up to date.

Reaching out to our migrations team directly at support+tradein@1password.com for help upgrading to 1Password 7 would be your best bet, as they'd be able to discuss any deals or promo offers you may be eligible for. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to connect the dots and locate your email conversation.

Jack

• braden
    braden
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jack,

I am having the same issue as the above user. I am currently running 1Password 6.8.9, and don't appear to be able to update to a newer version. I am on a fairly old computer, iMac Mid 2010, running OS 10.11.6 El Capitan (which cannot be updated to a newer OS according to Apple). I am a little frustrated that the 1Password Chrome extension is no longer working, as I use it frequently. Is there any solution that does not involve updating to 1Password 7? Or can I update to 1Password 7 without signing up for a subscription? I have been using this application for many years, I originally bought it in 2014. It has worked well for me, but I am not interested in signing up for a subscription service for an application that I already paid for.

• Hi @braden:

Thanks for chiming in. Upgrading to 1Password 7 would require migrating to a 1Password membership, as we no longer sell standalone licenses. One of our founders, Dave, has written a blog post here about Why We Love 1Password Memberships. The biggest takeaway Dave (and we as a company) had was his No More list:

• No More telling people that had syncing misconfigured or had not realized it needed to be manually configured, that we're sorry but they had lost all their data when they reset their phone
    • No More telling people that when they deleted files they didn't recognize from their hard drive, they had inadvertently deleted all their data
    • No More being unable to troubleshoot sync issues as we didn't control the sync service
    • No More explaining why purchasing 1Password on one platform doesn't unlock it on all other platforms
    • No More holding back on features so that they could launch with a major version to justify a license upgrade

As browsers and operating systems evolve and update, it's necessary for software that integrates with them to continue to stay up to date with the changes to the ecosystem. While I can understand your frustration, 1Password 6 was a great app and had its time in the sun. We moved onto 1Password 7 four years ago, and we'd be happy to help you make the jump. If you'd rather stay on 1Password 6, you can copy and paste your passwords into Chrome.

Additionally, it's my understanding that all the 2010 iMac releases (21.5 inch and 27 inch) should be able to update to macOS 10.13. This would allow you to use 1Password 7, as High Sierra is the earliest supported version of macOS by 1Password 7.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.