How do I turn off "1Password – Password Manager is controlling this setting"

Options
StephenMott
StephenMott
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Subject says it all really, I want to enable Chrome saving passwords for sites I don't care about (mainly local DHCP IP address ones), but still let 1Password save passwords for sites I do care about. I've seen mention of an option "Make 1Password the default password manager" but I can't find it anywhere in 1Password Preferences.

1Password Version: 7.9.3.BETA-2 (70903002)
Extension Version: 2.3.0
OS Version: 12.2
Referrer: forum-search:1Password – Password Manager is controlling this setting

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @StephenMott! By default, 1Password will control the autofill setting in your browser. We do recommend using 1Password to fill all your data as it's often more convenient and safer to have that data in one location.

That said, if you want to use your Chrome browser to also fill, you can do the following:
    1. Right-click 1Password's icon in Chrome's toolbar and click Settings.
    2. Under "General" turn off the "make 1Password the default password manager" option.
    3. Under "Autofill" turn off "Show autofill menu on field focus".
    4. Paste the following into Chrome's address bar: chrome://settings/autofill
    5. Make the appropriate selections to allow Chrome to autofill.

As a note, turning off "Show autofill menu on field focus" will prevent 1Password's inline menu from automatically appearing with suggestions when you're on a site. To open the inline menu, simply click on the 1Password icon in the sign-in fields on your sites. Then you can click on whatever login you'd like for 1Password to fill.

I hope this helps!

• StephenMott
    StephenMott
    Community Member
    Options

Oh thats where it it, I was looking in the main apps settings, I think just unchecking "make 1Password the default password manager" has done what I need, Chrome is prompting to save again, 1Password still offers too, perfect, thanks very much! :)

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StephenMott You are welcome! Have a good day :)

This discussion has been closed.