Local vault changed, and I can't set it back.

Options
macbates
macbates
Community Member

Seems like this happens every several months or so, and it just happened again. I'm using a local vault, stored in a known location on my Mac so I can sync it between multiple Macs. I just noticed that it's no longer being updated when I change or create passwords. It has been backing up to ~/Library/.../Backups/, but my local vault (~/Documents/1Pass Sync/) is no longer being updated.

So, how do I point 1Password to my local vault? I need to tell 1Password (again!) where my local vault is, and also make sure that the latest data that is stored in the backups is transferred to my local vault.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: 7.9.3
OS Version: MacOS 12.3

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @macbates

My apologies, however we're unable to offer technical support for sync solutions other than 1Password membership.

but my local vault (~/Documents/1Pass Sync/) is no longer being updated.

It looks like you may be trying to sync 1Password with a folder on your computer? If so, this guide may help. Beyond that, our migration team would be happy to chat about steps to move forward. They can be reached at support+tradein@1password.com.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• macbates
    macbates
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! That took care of things, and I printed out a copy of the guide for future reference when this happens again. I'm going to pass on 1Pass membership, even though data storage on the Internet may be the safest and most secure place in the world (ha!). 1Password local storage on multiple Macs has been working for me for many years, and I see no compelling reason to change.

Thanks again for the prompt response which fixed the issue I was having.

• @macbates

On behalf of Ben, I'm happy to hear that you were able to resolve the issue. 😊

We believe that memberships are a better, more stable, and more secure option for almost everybody and they avoid the kinds of issues that manifested themselves with older sync methods that had to be setup and sometimes painstakingly troubleshot when things went wrong. With a 1Password account you just add your account to all of your devices and all of your items instantly appear everywhere and stay updated and backed up with no need to troubleshoot or setup sync.

Our founder wrote a post here explaining in detail why memberships are the future of 1Password. We're currently offering generous discounts on 1Password memberships to users who have been using our licensed version of 1Password. It you're interested in the future then send our team an email as Ben mentioned and we would be happy to address all of your specific concerns.

This discussion has been closed.