navigator pane: show item count

I didn't find the option to toggle if the item count should be shown in navigator pane. where can I find it?

1Password Version: 8.7.0-3.NIGHTLY
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Sadly no such option is available. For a very short period of time nightly builds had a traditional item count next to the element in the sidepane. It was removed to rethink the design. The latest beta introduced another design as shown in Dave's second screenshot.

Personally I would prefer the traditional design, i. e. item count next to element in the sidepane configurable via switch on/off in the view menu.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

@viswiz Agreed. Item Counts not being in a persistently viewable location is my only remaining issue with 1PW. Everything else that I was personally concerned about has been addressed. While I don’t anticipate ever warming up to Quick Access even the demise of 1PW Mini has been handled for me with the ability to launch/close the main app with a click of the menu bar icon.

• Hey @OAW / @viswiz / @Definee:

As noted, there currently isn't a way of showing item counts in the sidebar. With that said though, we're always exploring ways to make 1Password 8 even better, and I've shared this thread internally. Thanks for your feedback on this!

Jack

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P If there is some sort of technical reason why Item Counts can't be easily displayed in the sidebar as in 1P7 then that's ... fine. But as has been mentioned previously in this thread and others in one of the nightly 1P8 builds the Item Count was displayed at the bottom of the window of the column where it's easily viewable without any further action by the user. And then it was inexplicably changed soon thereafter to display at the bottom of the content list where you have to scroll down to see it. Candidly, I (and others apparently) just don't see what was gained by abandoning a very acceptable UI solution for something demonstrably inferior.

• rob
    rob
    edited April 2022

Hey, @OAW. There are almost always tradeoffs in design choices. By fixing a count to the bottom of the window, we reduce the useable window space with an element that not everyone may be interested in. It's a small thing, but those things can add up. There are some apps with way too many layers of chrome that can end up taking up as much space as the actual content. We could make it a setting, but more settings means more complexity and potential confusion.

Anyway, I'm not really advocating for the current or previous design, just noting that what you see as "demonstrably inferior" can still be seen from other perspectives. We try to balance those and come to reasonable conclusions. The current conclusion may or may not stick. I think I'd personally still prefer to show counts in the sidebar like was mentioned previously, but we'll see where we end up.

ref: dev/core/core#9298

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P or @rob Any updates on providing an option to display Item Counts in the sidebar? If the DEV team has decided that the ship has sailed on this and they intend to stick with the current design please just let us know that. It would help to alleviate the disappointment in installing the latest betas only to see this feature has still not been restored.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

We have a problem with a rather common solution - an item count next to the item it relates to. In order to avoid clutter this is a typical show/hide option in most applications. Yes, I know that an option introduces a new code path that has to be tested. But your solution, hiding the item count at the end of the list where almost no one will look for it, adds a new code path as well.
    So please either implement the common solution with configurable item count in the sidebar or don't waste any more time on an uncommon solution that almost no one discovers but then tell the users that don't want to implement it.

• Hi, folks. Apologies for the big delay here. I just noticed these messages.

If the DEV team has decided that the ship has sailed on this and they intend to stick with the current design please just let us know that.

Very few ships sail around here. It's more that there are far too many ships for us to focus on all of them at the same time. The internal tracking issue for this request is still open, so it can still happen and I think it would be a nice improvement. But I don't have a roadmap or timeline to share.

This discussion has been closed.