1Password, keychain & browser

Options
Lance Lawton
Lance Lawton
Community Member
edited March 2022 in Mac

It seems a bit weird to be asking this, as it's a very nooby question and I’ve been using 1Password since the dawn of time. But still ...

My brain's in a fog about the relationship between 1Password, my browser's password thingy and my system / iCloud keychain/s. I sense I'm not the only one thus challenged. I've read through a few other threads on here on the subject. These have been helpful to a degree; but the fog persists.

Ever since first installing 1Password through until only very recently I've basically assumed that it replaced the macOS Keychain. And so I've more or less ignored the latter entirely. I've not saved any passwords into it (or not knowingly anyway). I've tended to uncheck Keychain on my devices' iCloud settings. And I've always selected "never for this website" (or similar) when the browser expresses an interest in a password. But after a recent experience with OS corruption (long story, don't ask) I've come to wondering. Also I haven't really kept up with the finer points of 1Password development. So for all I know my current password / login management practices may be positively antediluvian anyway? 🤔

So .... Can some kind soul unpack some of this for me. What's "best practice" here? Is there an overlap between 1Password and my keychain/s? Or are their functions entirely distinct? Is there stuff I should be saving in the keychain, either as well as or instead of in 1Password? And then browser .... Is there a case for saving any or some passwords in the browser? Or should I ignore that browser function totally in favour of 1Password? And any aspects of how 1Password might best be integrated with my browsing that I may have missed?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.3 (70903004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 2.3.0
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

Comments

• Hello @Lance Lawton! 👋

Thanks for asking! There isn't any need for you to save items in iCloud Keychain or in the built-in password manager inside of any of the browsers that you're using. The beauty of 1Password is that you can store everything in your 1Password vault and have it be available on all of your devices and in all of your browsers.

In fact, I'd go further to say that you should disable the built-in password manager in all of your browsers so that you don't accidentally run into a situation where some items are saved in the built-in password manager and others are saved in 1Password. Or a situation where you have different passwords for the same website saved in both and are unsure of which password is the most recent. We have a guide here that will show you how to disable the built-in password manager: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Let me know if that helps and if you have any followup questions. 😊

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks Dave. That answers most of it. Just leaves one question. What should I save in the Keychain? And should I sync it across devices through iCloud separately from 1Password? Or should I leave it unsynced and ignore it? Thanks.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2022
    Options

@Lance Lawton

For the most robust experience across your Apple devices, leave iCloud Keychain enabled, but as per Dave's suggestion above, disable saving / filling from Safari passwords (see Note). On iPadOS, for example, you'd disable Passwords > AutoFill Passwords > iCloud Keychain (depending upon your version of iPadOS). I believe the location is the same on iOS (I don't have my phone handy to double-check).

iCloud Keychain contains more than just (Safari) passwords, so allowing this to sync across all your Apple devices makes your experience better.

Unfortunately, the nomenclature about all things "iCloud Keychain" is confusing.

Note: There are some circumstances where saving Safari passwords in iCloud Keychain is useful. But unless you're clear about why you'd need this, and how to avoid getting the two passwords stores out of sync, it's best to let 1Password handle passwords.

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

OK. That's all nicely clear. Thanks to you both.

• On behalf of Dave, and MrC, you're very welcome @Lance Lawton!

Please get in touch if you need anything in the future. 😀

Jack

This discussion has been closed.