1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser

amityweb
amityweb
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have 1Password 6 version 6.8.9 on my Mac and 1Password extension (desktop app required), version 4.7.5.90

In case you are wondering, I do not want to upgrade to a monthly paid plan when I am happy with this software which I purchased, it has worked fine for me since released many years ago.

But a few days it ago it just stopped. The browser extension states:
1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser

I use Chrome Version 99.0.4844.74 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Restarting 1Password, Chrome and Macbook does not help.

Is it possible something has updated in Chrome which is breaking the browser extension, and how could I fix that?

If its not going to be fixed due to it being an old version, is the only solution downgrade Chrome?

Thanks

Laurence

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

Comments

• hath22
    hath22
    Community Member

I came here to say I have the exact same issue. Any steps I take lead to a request for a Secret Key, but having bought the app from the MacApp store a while ago I don't have a secret key.

• hath22
    hath22
    Community Member

Also I see that the extension still works on Firefox, so it must be the latest Chrome update.

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Downgrade Chrome to Chrome 98 on macOS (Monterey) and stop auto-updates. Run this in the terminal app to stop auto updates.
    defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval 0
    But then you are leaving yourself open to security being out of date.
    Once you have done this, 1Password Chrome extension works again.

• @amityweb & @hath22

On March 15, 2022, Google released Chrome 99.0.4844.74, which has a new code signing certificate. Because of this change, 1Password 6 for Mac no longer works in Chrome 99 or later.

The last major update to 1Password 6 for Mac was in 2018 to allow it to continue working with modern browsers. It no longer receives critical security updates. To continue filling and saving in Chrome, you'll need to Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac.

Installing an outdated version of Chrome is not something we can recommend. The latest Chrome update, alone, had 11 security fixes. If it's imperative that you continue to use 1Password 6 on your Mac, you can still use the 1Password Classic extension in Firefox.

We currently have a promotion for license customers switching to a new individual or family account: 50% off for 3 years. You're welcome to contact us at support+tradein@1password.com, if this is something you're interested in taking advantage of.

• amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member

Ok thank you 😞

• jberg4051
    jberg4051
    Community Member

same issue.

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member

I downloaded the previous version of Chrome, the one before 1Password stopped working. Even running the terminal command does not stop it from updating. I am sure there are other methods to achieve this but instead I just have a shortcut to the older version on my desktop and run that so that it is always the version that 1Password supports.

It would be very nice of 1Password to update their legacy browser extension to allow it to work with the current versions of Chrome.

• dmitryb
    dmitryb
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle,
    I understand there was a change in Chrome browser which broke 1password extension but why the team wouldn't fix it, that shouldn't be a big problem? It's not like we ask for new features, just please fix what has already been working, after all we paid for your product.
    It's been said many many times that there are a lot of people who don't accept the idea of storing their passwords on the company's servers. This is not about the money, this is about 1Password lacking a product which would satisfy our requirements, I'd literally pay more than your subscription costs, if you offered a solution which doesn't require storing data on your servers.

• CPeabody
    CPeabody
    Community Member

@dmitryb
    They don't want to fix it. They goofed when they offered lifetime subscriptions and now want to move all those customers over to the new pay as you go model to increase profits. Stellar customer service offering a lifetime subscription to a product that is no longer supported.

I've personally had enough and have switched to Dashlane. I would encourage anyone else that purchased a "Lifetime Subscription" to do the same. One doesn't have to choose Dashlane but if we all vote with our wallets, perhaps it will send a message to AgileBits that their constant fleecing of loyal customers will no longer tolerated.

• Hi @CPeabody / @dmitryb / @paddypdx,

Thanks for following up, and I'd like to dig into the history of 1Password 6 for Mac a bit. Spanning a little more than 2 years, 1Password 6 for Mac saw 32 releases, containing both major new improvements and features, and small patches and fixes. Additionally, 1Password 6 for Mac was a free update to 1Password 5 for Mac, which itself was a free update to 1Password 4 for Mac. In total, from the initial release of 1Password 4 for Mac on October 4th, 2013, to the final release of 1Password 6 for Mac, there were 55 releases over 4 years and 7 months.

We're sincerely sorry for the trouble here. 1Password 6 for Mac was a great app and it's had it's time in the sun. We moved on to 1Password 7 nearly 4 years ago now, and we'd be happy to help you make the jump. If you decide to stick with 6, you can copy and paste your passwords over, or use Firefox.

Jack

• CPeabody
    CPeabody
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I completely understand that keeping up with browsers involves a lot of work. That is precisely why I bought the Lifetime Subscription. Oddly enough, when I purchased the lifetime subscription, I never dreamt that lifetime meant 2 years in AgileBits world.

How can one justify selling a Lifetime Subscription to an application and then just stop supporting it 2 years later? That's like buying a bumper to bumper warranty on your new car only to have the dealership contact you a month later and tell you that the bumper to bumper warranty you purchased has been discontinued... but don't worry, we will offer you 50% off on this new warranty but you will now be required to pay yearly.

I understand you have to toe the company here on the forum but I think we all see what's really going on at 1password and that is a lack of good corporate ethics.

As mentioned previously, I've voted with my wallet and am now a Dashlane customer. AgileBits should be ashamed.

CPeabody

• JustaUser1
    JustaUser1
    Community Member

Chiming in as another disappointed user.
    Purchased lifetime licenses & upgrades for iOS and MacOS for more than a decade.
    I have no interest in 1password 7 or 8 or anything "hosted" in the cloud by the same service provider.
    I could just use iCloud KeyChain for free then.

PS. "Just use Firefox"'s 1password extension takes me to the login window for the hosted 1password, it doesn't integrate with 1password 6.

• Hi @CPeabody:

Thanks for your feedback. Stay safe out there when it comes to your passwords, and we'll be here if you'd like to give us another try in the future.

Jack

• Hi @JustaUser1:

Thanks for chiming in. We've found that 1Password memberships took away a huge number of pain points with standalone licenses, what Dave called his No More list in this post, Why We Love 1Password Memberships:

• No More telling people that had syncing misconfigured or had not realized it needed to be manually configured, that we're sorry but they had lost all their data when they reset their phone
    • No More telling people that when they deleted files they didn't recognize from their hard drive, they had inadvertently deleted all their data
    • No More being unable to troubleshoot sync issues as we didn't control the sync service
    • No More explaining why purchasing 1Password on one platform doesn't unlock it on all other platforms
    • No More holding back on features so that they could launch with a major version to justify a license upgrade

Just as a sidenote, the 1Password classic extension available for Firefox can be downloaded here: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

Jack

• JustaUser1
    JustaUser1
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P

I do have to say that the community here is great and support has always been fantastic for 1Password.
    Thank you for the link provided, I can confirm that the Classic extension installed from the 1Password website is currently working great for Firefox.

In regards to Dave's points - the business model for software is now subscription and the reason for that is recurring and money. The lifetime price paid on average by a user on a subscription model (5y = $180) eclipses standalone software fees and upgrade fees (I paid like $50 for the macOS version and another $20 or so for iOS as I recall last 5y). That's the reason why most software developers have moved to the SaaS subscription model. Anyway, that's a fine business decision however I don't see the reason why users are being forced to keep their data on 1P's servers. Dave should just keep the option to allow Dropbox/iCloud sync. I've never had any sync issues in a decade+.

• fbessede
    fbessede
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

We can't expect 1Password to maintain really old software forever, that being said the switch from a basically-free software for a number of us to a hosted software that we now have to pay $3/month is a massive jump. Time to look for 1Password alternative since they clearly show that they've moved on and are not interested in finding a middle ground for their legacy users.

• aSad1PasswordUser
    aSad1PasswordUser
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

What a sad day... I've used 1Password for so many years and recommended it to so many people. Migrating to a new password manager wasn't how I was expecting to spend my evening...

Many Mac users worry that the same fate awaits 1Password 6 for Mac, and that we will remove support for local vaults and force them to pay again.

This isn’t going to happen. First, it would be evil to take away something you’ve already paid for. And evil doesn’t make for a Happy 1Password Customer, which is the cornerstone for a Happy 1Password Maker. It’s simply not who we are.

Unfortunately, it seems it has happened. Honestly, I probably would have been willing to stick around and pay for the subscription if it wasn't for this quote from Dave.

I know you can't maintain old software forever, but we can at least be upfront about the days of 1Password as we knew it being over. Many of us would have likely been willing to buy 1Password again.

• joshAl
    joshAl
    Community Member

Came here for the same reason. Unfortunately I don't want to host my passwords on 1password. I figure drop box is probably a couple tiers up in securing their cloud services, so I'd like to avoid a future hack where i need to reset ALL MY PASSWORDS. I also liked that I had an encrypted password file on 1password, so that in the unlikely event of a dropbox hack, I'd still have some security.

It's important to remember that 1password is such a locus for passwords that it is a target of state level of attacks. Which means it is subject to attacks as exotic as an employee getting bribed or physical intrusion into their offices. There are only a few institutions like google, dropbox, facebook, and apple that have the level of security organization and investment to make a good effort against stuff like this.

The subscription is annoying, but the security drop is alarming. Please consider allowing hosting on the various drive services.

Does anyone know if Dashlane or others do this? Dropbox itself seems to have a password product now.

• mannvicky
    mannvicky
    Community Member

This is a very bad decision... they are forcing us to buy a subscription plan, which is very expensive. If you sold a lifetime license then we deserve upgrades and extensions that work.
    The least you can do is send an email to your existing users about this - "NO MORE SUPPORT" - thing so that everyone know about your credibility.
    Microsoft stopped support for XP but they gave their users time to switch and offered discounted upgrades.... the least you can do is offer such upgrades now. I am already looking for other options.... which i will share here.

• aznSlayer
    aznSlayer
    Community Member

@paddypdx where did you download the previous version of chrome?

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member

https://google-chrome.en.uptodown.com/mac/download/4407170 @aznSlayer is where I donwloaded it and I have it in my dock and a shortcut on my desktop. I run mac OS.

• aznSlayer
    aznSlayer
    Community Member

Thank you so much!

• Hi folks,

Thanks for adding your feedback.

@aznSlayer:

There were 11 reported vulnerabilities patched in Chrome 99. With that in mind, we simply cannot condone using outdated versions of Google Chrome. If it's imperative that you use 1Password 6 for Mac, at this point our recommendation would be to use Firefox, or copy and paste password as necessary.

@mannvicky:

We collected very little information about standalone license purchases at the time of purchase, and we don't have telemetry in 1Password. Given this, we have relatively limited methods to proactively reach out to customers and let them know. We're always happy to assist via email if you reach out directly and are running into issues, like this.

@joshAl / @JustaUser1 :

Local vaults, including syncing via third party sync services are not part of the plan for 1Password 8. Stay safe out there, and we'll be here if you'd like to give us another try in the future.

Jack

• varenc
    varenc
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Just as a point of info for others...

I'm happily using 1Password 7 and self-hosted vaults. 1P7 was just updated to fix this Chrome issue and updating it fixed things. For others with self-hosted vaults you can still switch to 1P7 to keep it working with Chrome 99. I also HIGHLY recommend letting Chrome auto-update if you care about security at all. (which I would assume all 1Password users do).

Speaking of security, that's why I never want to switch to 1Password's zero-knowledge cloud hosted solution. I know it's E2EE, but still just can't accept the risk of having everything under 1Password's cloud. I'm sure others have belabored this point though and that ship has long since sailed. I fear for the day that self-hosted 1P vaults break in Chrome, but fortunately today is not that day.

-Chris

• pjrobertson
    pjrobertson
    Community Member

@varenc - can you elaborate on how you're using 1Password 7 with self-hosted vaults and without the cloud hosted solution?

Thanks

• fbessede
    fbessede
    Community Member

Can anybody suggest a software that works similarly to 1Password 6 without requiring a monthly fee? Thanks!

• varenc
    varenc
    Community Member

@pjrobertson I'm not sure since I've been using 1P7 for years, but I don't remember doing anything special. If you're already using 1P6 and upgrading to 1P7 presumably the upgrade flow would suggest the right thing. Here's a screenshot where you can see I'm using local and Dropbox synced vaults in 1Password 7:

I do remember I bought a standalone 1P7 license, not the "membership", but I don't think that's a requirement. Standalone licenses aren't for sale anymore so you need a membership, but I would think that 1Password 7 would still support local vaults, even with a membership. I don't mind the subscription model at all, I just don't want to be forced to store my vaults on 1Password's cloud like 1P8 will require. (I would even pay for a premium subscription that let me self-host vaults)

@fbessede Nearly all software is on a subscription model now. Nothing similar has a one-time fee. And honestly, that makes sense to me. This whole thread started because Google made a change that broken 1Password in Chrome. If you want a company around to quickly fix issues like this, you need a revenue model that supports that. You can't except to pay for software once and have it keep working in the long term. (at least functionality wise. Security updates should have longer support). That said, while there's nothing with a one-time free, there are free/open source 1Password competitors: https://www.google.com/search?q=free+open+source+password+managers

• pjrobertson
    pjrobertson
    Community Member

@varenc - thanks for your response, but it looks like it got deleted, I only got to see half your message. Still hoping you can elaborate!

However, from the start of your sentence, it seems like you upgraded a long time ago when 1Password was still allowing people to upgrade to a 'lifetime' license (without cloud) for 1Password 7. Seems like this is no longer an option.

• varenc
    varenc
    Community Member

@pjrobertson Whoops that's odd.
    To paraphrase: I've been using self-hosted vaults in 1Password 7 for years without problem, but I think you can also start doing that now. You can't buy a standalone 1P7 license anymore, so you have to buy the membership, but that doesn't prevent you from using self-hosted vaults in 1Password 7. Here's a screenshot of me using local and Dropbox synced vaults in 1P7. Been happily using Dropbox synced vaults in 1P7 since the 2018 beta came out. I'd really recommend upgrading!

(this is all assuming your issue with 1P7 is an aversion to cloud hosted vaults. If it's about the subscription model, then yea... you're out of luck. But also this breaking change from Google Chrome really illustrates to me why a subscription model, which provides support for ongoing updates, makes more sense for software like this. Everything's a subscription nowadays.... and when everything needs constant security updates and tweaks, it's understandable)

This discussion has been closed.