"Send to window" missing in 1Password8

MarcoPirazzoli
MarcoPirazzoli
Community Member

Hello,

In 1Password 7 there was an option to "send to window" for both passwords and OTP, for the applications that did not support copy / paste (i.e. ZOOM!).

This option is nowhere to be found anymore on 1P8, can it be reinstated?

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: all OS

Comments

• Hello again @MarcoPirazzoli!

With 1Password 8, you can use Quick Access to fill in apps. I've also included this guide to goes into more detail about Quick Access.

Specific to your comment about Zoom, you can fill details in apps and to keep the item details open in a separate window so you can switch to another app and copy (or drag and drop) the item details (including OTPs) without needing to open Quick Access again.

I hope this information is helpful! :)

• MarcoPirazzoli
    MarcoPirazzoli
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

Hello,

Yes, it's helpful. No, it's not what I needed.

Quick Access is the first thing I have disabled as I don't need another shortcut to remember.

so... long story short, "send to window" is gone. I was wondering if it will ever come back, as the quick access is a useless feature to me, it's way more useful to "send to window"

• MarcoPirazzoli
    MarcoPirazzoli
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d I have tried the Quick Access, still doesn't work.

in Zoom, when I have the OTP request, I have this window

which does not support copy / paste.
    I can copy the OTP via quickaccess, then what? I will still need to type it manually.

With 1p7, I could right click to the OTP and "send to window"--> Zoom, and it would fill it up automatically.

I hope you reinstate this feature, since there are a lot of (dumb) applications that don't support copy / paste

• ag_mike_d
    edited December 2021

Hello again, @MarcoPirazzoli! I'm glad this helped but wasn't what you needed. I'm sorry for inconvenience this has caused you.

in Zoom, when I have the OTP request,
    which does not support copy / paste.

I was doing some prior testing with Zoom and while copying and pasting does not currently work with the OTP field, with your Zoom item highlighted in Quick Access, can you click the overflow menu > Open Item in New Window or (Ctrl + O). This new window will remain open and you can drag and drop the username/password/OTP to the appropriate fields Zoom. Please let us know how the drag and drop functionality works for you with Zoom or any other apps where you may have difficulties filling credentials.

I can't make any promises about when we might see this type of functionality return, but I've added your comments to an internal discussion we have regarding the implementation of an Auto-Type solution for 1Password 8.

In the meantime, please let us know if you have any other questions about the drag and drop method through Quick Access. Thanks!

ref: dev/core/core#9620

• MarcoPirazzoli
    MarcoPirazzoli
    Community Member

Hello,

The drag and drop doesn't work from Quick Access, but it works if I dragdrop the OTP from the main window.

It's a decent workaround, although the send to window would have been way easier :-1:

• Hi @MarcoPirazzoli,

While it's not a perfect solution and this does work from the main app Window, I was hoping you might find this overall process with apps quicker from Quick Access after opening the item in a new window or with (Ctrl + O). The demonstration below only shows dragging the OTP over, but you can do so with all three fields when filling credentials into an app.

Thanks for the additional feedback here and I hope you have a great day! :)

• MarcoPirazzoli
    MarcoPirazzoli
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d I hope you understand you transformed a two clicks operation into convoluted procedure which will involve opening Windows and drag and drop things between two applications...

Please revert it back!!

• Hi @MarcoPirazzoli, thanks for your reply and I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. I have passed this additional feedback along to the team for review.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns and we'd be happy to help. Have a great day!

• MarcoPirazzoli
    MarcoPirazzoli
    Community Member

thank you @ag_mike_d . People like you make me happy to have chosen 1p as my password manager!

• You're most welcome, @MarcoPirazzoli! Thanks for your kind words and for using 1Password!

• nrosier
    nrosier
    Community Member

Hi, please re-introduce this feature. I've had to upgrade 1Password 8 back to 1Password 7 as without this feature 1PW is useless. Copy/Paste has been disabled at our company for remote-desktop connections so the only way is to send the password is to use this option.

• Hi @nrosier, thanks for letting us know. I'd like to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

As Mike mentioned, we're actively looking into an Auto-type solution for 1Password 8 and hope to have more information soon. I have added your comment to the feature request we have tracking this internally. Thanks!

Ali

ref: dev/core/core#9620

• nrosier
    nrosier
    Community Member

Hi Ali, thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to stress the importance of this feature. We have a business account and our team uses this function extensively. I've advised them to withhold from upgrading to 1PW8 as it lacks this feature.

• giles22
    giles22
    Community Member

+1 to restoring this feature. my workflow in v7 was ctrl+alt+\ > type in item name > menu (right-click) key > up/down keys to 'Copy' > right key > up/down keys to 'password' > right key > up/down keys to target window > enter. all on the keyboard. for some it may be trivial to just move my hand to the mouse for the drag-drop workaround, but as someone who avoids switching to the mouse as much as possible, it shaves off 1-2 seconds. for each login. the target window doesn't even have to be in the foreground. and it brings that window to the foreground too.

• Hey @nrosier and @giles22, thanks for sharing the importance of this feature to your workflows. I've added both your comments to the issue for our developers to see. Thanks again!

• giles22
    giles22
    Community Member

cheers @ali.hazime! 1p is truly a great product with great support.

• On behalf of Ali, you're very welcome @giles22! :smile:

• nrosier
    nrosier
    Community Member

Hi, seems this feature is also lacking in the Mac version :-(
    I recently moved back to Mac and just discovered this.

• Hi @nrosier:

Thanks for your additional feedback. As Ali mentioned, this is something we're actively exploring, but don't have anything to share just yet.

Jack

• nrosier
    nrosier
    Community Member

Hi Jack, sorry to bug with this again, just wanted to share as more and more people from my team are also moving to Mac and wasn't sure the 2 version shared the same developers (seeing as some features are different between them).

PS: I've been a 1PW user since v3 and love the product. Keep up the good work.

• Hey @nrosier:

Definitely not a bother! One of the advantages as we move forward with 1Password 8 is the shared core, which allows us to implement features faster across various platforms. Thanks for being such a fan for so long! 😄

Jack

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member

Another voice in support of bringing send to window. Drag and drop doesn't work at all with the Hyper-V or VMware consoles and regularly doesn't work with Remote Desktop.

• Hey @martinsteel:

Thanks for your feedback! I've added your thoughts to the issue Ali mentioned above.

Jack

• SomeoneAwesome
    SomeoneAwesome
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Honestly I think the Quick Access feature is fine as it is - for people who don't like the extra shortcut you can add an settings option to instead of opening the app when clicking the toolbar icon you just open quick access - this is exactly the same behavior as 1P mini (it also had a shortcut for anyone wondering so both are the same in this regard).

It would be great though if you could invoke the Fill in app (send to app) command that was available in 1P mini from the quick access menu too - maybe under extra options or something.

• Thanks for adding your thoughts here, @SomeoneAwesome! We're always looking for ways to make the things you have to do easier, and appreciate your suggestion.

• Ostholt
    Ostholt
    Community Member

Please brind the "type in window" feature back ! How else can I bring a password into a window I opended with TeamViewer or RDP and copy&Paste does not work ? It was such a cool feature. Why did you remove it ? Any reasons for it ? I will deinstall 1Pwd 8 again and try to move back to 1Pwd 7 ....

• LoopVogel
    LoopVogel
    Community Member

This thread was started six months ago and the feature is still missing ... so I'm guessing it's not coming?

In other news, the workaround of opening a password in a new window and dragging and dropping it does seem to work. However, after spending nearly an hour reading through the help pages on this - why is this not listed on the website? (only in this forum)

• pjotr1977
    pjotr1977
    Community Member

+1 please put it back. It's a must have option for working with remote desktops. I immediately reverted to the latest version 7 again.

• nickjerkins
    nickjerkins
    Community Member

I echo the above. We cannot be without the "type in window" feature in our environment. It is essential.
    We cannot update to v8 as a result. What is the ETA for v8 to reinstate this feature?

• kami
    kami
    Community Member

Hi @ag_mike_d,

it's a change but I can get used to drag and drop the password into windows that don't support pasting from shortcut.
    But it would be realy great if that is possible to to from the Quick Access directly after finding the entry I need. Like maybe from the "More Options" part of the entry. Opening the objekt in a new windows just adds unnecceary steps to the proces of unlocking a locked RPD session for example.

This discussion has been closed.