Early access and Alfred / Spotlight / LaunchBar (3rd party search integration)

Comments

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member

Hi, I'm not at all trying to get into the above discussion but is this the best thread to follow for progress on third-party integration or is there something else? Thanks!

• @bradical

This is the place. 🙂

Ben

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Another month goes by and still no Alfred integration. Why?

• Hello @HRD,

You're right, it's been a month since I posted an update so it's a good time to bring us all up to date.

For details on "Why?" the fundamentals of my previous comment remain the same. The 448 words there explain the why thoroughly and I don't see me being able to best them today. 🙂

As for an update on where we're at, there are some really cool developments I'm excited to share.

Earlier this week we launched our 1Password Developer Tools. With this 1Password now includes full support for SSH keys and has made tremendous improvements to the command line interface (CLI) tool. You can check out our SSH and Git, meet 1Password and Your CLI wish is our command announcement posts for full details.

The part of this announcement that's super relevant here is the CLI op tool. It unlocks a wealth of potential as it's a full blown CLI that allows you to do everything that 1Password does. From the blog post op allows you to:

1. Invite and confirm new users 💌
    2. Integrate with your identity provider using SCIM Bridge 🌉
    3. Deploy secrets to production environments with Secrets Automation 🔐
    4. Share items with your team or externally with secure share links 🤗
    5. Create, read, update, and delete items, vaults, or documents 🌈

With this wide ranging functionality, apps like Alfred, Raycast, LaunchBar, Keyboard Maestro, or any other 3rd party app that would like to integrate with 1Password can use op to provide any piece of functionality they can dream of.

Using op gives apps so many more integration possibilities now that they can drop the shackles of relying on plain-text metadata files, which was the limit of what we were willing to provide in 1Password 7 as these files were unencrypted. And honestly, the titles and URLs were already too much imo and that's why we disabled this feature by default and hid the option under the Advanced Preferences.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what app developers do with op. In time we'll all be seeing some sweet integrations and workflows that will blow us away.

Now to be clear, this is going to take time. App developers have their own schedules and op was built first and foremost as a CLI tool so the ergonomics of the commands are not tailored specifically for development teams. Still, the functionality is there and available to use.

Since this will take time for everyone involved, I toyed around with a new open source project that uses op to export the same metadata that Alfred and others have been using for their existing integration. I dubbed it opbookmarks and you can grab it from GitHub here. It's meant as a stepping stone for apps to use until they have time to take things further with direct integration.

For anyone who would like to help test this it would be very helpful to see if opbookmarks is able to export your metadata and to get some performance metrics for your setup. I found opbookmarks to work quite well for my smaller accounts but ran into troubles for my multi-thousand item accounts and it was especially slow for my AgileBits account where I have hundreds of vaults. This is something we're looking into optimizing by exposing more of the internal APIs 1Password is relying on today for it's blazingly fast sync performance.

It's important to note that even though the exported data format matches that used by 1Password 7, the commands used to open items in 1Password 8 and the browser have changed. I have reached out to Alfred and LaunchBar to give them a heads up and to ask them to use the new commands. They have been receptive and I suspect we'll see some updates from them in the future with support for 1Password 8 and opbookmarks.

One of the things I like about Raycast is I can create my own extensions using React so I went ahead and created another open source project for a Raycast 1Password extension that relies on opbookmarks. Here it is in action:

https://github.com/dteare/raycast-1password-extension/blob/main/media/raycast-1password-extension.png

The Raycast 1Password extension works with 1Password 8 and the brave of heart are welcome to try it in their development environment. I have a pull request open to add 1Password 8 to the Raycast Store and once accepted it will be much easier to use. Until then you need Node installed and to follow the Raycast extension development instructions.

Clearly things are still under active development and a lot of work remains so please only jump in if you enjoy this kind of stuff, but I wanted to share a detailed update on where we're at.

Take care and if you do take things for a spin please let me know how it turns out.

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Thanks for the multi-paragraph update but the vital information is missing - a date!

I also note you put more effort into your replies than in restoring basically functionality from an earlier version.

• Smithjw
    Smithjw
    Community Member

@dteare thanks for that update, that op command seems bloody awesome. Could definitely see the possibility of utilising it within 1Password as a custom Workflow within Alfred until they’re able to access it natively.

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

With this wide ranging functionality, apps like Alfred, Raycast, LaunchBar, Keyboard Maestro, or any other 3rd party app that would like to integrate with 1Password can use op to provide any piece of functionality they can dream of.

Using op gives apps so many more integration possibilities now that they can drop the shackles of relying on plain-text metadata files

Nice!! Very excited to see what Objective Development does with this.

• @HRD: There’s no date for me to share and honestly I wouldn’t share specifics anyway as I’ve clearly pissed you off already and the last thing I’d want to do is to give a date and then possibly miss it if priorities change. There’s a lot of moving parts across multiple teams and I’m simply not willing to commit to a date for 1Password 8 to integrate tightly with other apps.

The date I can promise for giving you back this functionality is today. Today is a great day to use 1Password 7 which has the exact functionality you are looking for. It’s a great app and by the sounds of it this functionality is critical to your workflow so I recommend wholeheartedly that you use 1Password 7 until we’re ready for you. Peace. ✌️

@Smithjw: Glad you’re liking what you’re seeing! It’s just scratching the surface of what’s possible so I’m stoked by what the community will be able to come up with.

You’re definitely right that you can utilize opbookmarks as a custom workflow within Alfred. I considered wiring this directly into my Raycast extension but decided to add a --watch command to opbookmarks instead. Honestly there’s some edge cases there that have me concerned, but it has been working fine for me so far in my testing so I elected to keep this approach.

The other approach we’re experimenting with is for op to cache a local copy of the data just like the other clients do and that would make it tremendously fast to grab updates. If and when we go this route I’ll change things to simply always run the update command each time we go to show the 1Password entries.

@rpallred: I’m excited, too! Objective Development is a creative bunch and I suspect they’ll wow us both in time with new goodies we're not expecting. 🍬

Has anyone had a chance to try out opbookmarks yet? I know it’s a lot to ask to compile and run the Raycast extension, but opbookmarks is pre-built and I need some validation there before I’ll be able to get that into the Raycast store. Would be a nice weekend project so I thought I’d ask. 🙂

Take care everyone, and have a great weekend. 😘

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

@dteare: It is pointless going on with these repetitive posts. You removed basic functionality from a previous version. If that isn't a retrograde step, then perhaps you can tell what is. You can't supply a date because you don't have one. I have managed projects for too long to fall into that trap.

• Smithjw
    Smithjw
    Community Member

@dteare I haven’t had the chance yet to pull op or opbookmarks into my workflow just yet but it’s good to know I have options. That being said, I’ve been using Quick Access as a semi-replacement for the old 1P behaviour and my muscle memory has almost caught up with searching/launching sites. The only blocker is that several times throughout the day, Quick Access will stop responding to its Global Hotkey until I completely quit/launch the app ( #RAD-93476-293 If you’re interested ;) ).

• 5uck3rpunch
    5uck3rpunch
    Community Member

Hello. I get a message when I boot my Mac to the Desktop that says something like: "To enable 3rd party access, go to Advanced > 3rd Party Support". The verbiage is close to that & it only happens when the Mac boots up (I don't want to do that right now). I do know why it's stating that message & that is because I use a Mac app called Launchbar. That is not the issue though.
    In this beta version, there isn't anything in the Advanced menu in Settings about 3rd party access. I could not find it in any of the options in Settings. The message also has a button to Open 1Password so you can go in & change this setting so I know for sure the option for 3rd party app access should be in the 1Password settings.
    I would appreciate any help that you can give ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 870
    Extension Version: 2.3.0
    OS Version: macOS 12.3

• 5uck3rpunch
    5uck3rpunch
    Community Member

I rebooted & grabbed a screenshot:

• 5uck3rpunch
    5uck3rpunch
    Community Member

I will send a diagnostics report also.

• Hi @5uck3rpunch

Thanks for the screenshot!

I will send a diagnostics report also.

Not necessary in this case. 😊 The problem here is that 1Password 8 does not have an integration for LaunchBar. As such you'd need to disable that option in LaunchBar's preferences. We do have some exciting things in the works for working with apps like LaunchBar and Alfred, which you can read more about here. I hope that helps!

Ben

• 5uck3rpunch
    5uck3rpunch
    Community Member

I appreciate the quick response, but I have Launchbar 6 (Version 6.15) & I cannot find anything to do with 1Password anywhere in the settings/prefs.

• @5uck3rpunch

I see. My apologies, but I haven't used LaunchBar, and as such I'm not familiar with where these settings might be. I would suggest reaching out to their team to see how to disable this integration. This message is coming from LaunchBar, not 1Password.

Ben

• 5uck3rpunch
    5uck3rpunch
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I appreciate the assist & keep up the great work!

• You're very welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us. 😄

Ben

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

@5uck3rpunch

I appreciate the quick response, but I have Launchbar 6 (Version 6.15) & I cannot find anything to do with 1Password anywhere in the settings/prefs.

The setting is in your index rules. Go to the Index menu and click on Show Index. In the sidebar of the index window, 3rd Party integrations are at the very bottom of the list:

Right-click on this and you can en/disable or even remove the integration.

• 5uck3rpunch
    5uck3rpunch
    Community Member

Thanks @rpallred ! I disabled it for now. I contacted the developers of LaunchBar 6, Objective Development, and gave them the link to this thread. The person that replied seemed to be excited that I sent this info. Hopefully, they will get LaunchBar updated to work with 1Password. Two amazing Mac app must haves!

• Hey @rpallred / @5uck3rpunch:

Thanks so much for sharing the steps on how to disable 1Password in LaunchBar for the time being, and thanks so much for your kind words about 1Password being a must have! 😁

Jack

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member

🥳

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, After nearly 9 months in development! Perhaps you could take the trouble to send simple and clear instructions, as so far I am unable to get this work

• Smithjw
    Smithjw
    Community Member

@HRD Have you followed the instructions in the README on the GitHub repo?

https://github.com/alfredapp/1password-workflow

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, I have been through this multi times and each time get this error in Terminal:

The official 1Password command-line tool will ask you to sign in.
    This is necessary to get the items list for the Password Workflow.
    For account details, consult your 1Password Emergency Kit:
    https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/#get-your-emergency-kit

Updating items list. It will take a few seconds to complete.
    You may close the terminal at any time.
    ......./1password.js: execution error: Error: Type
    Error: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'run0P ("item", "get", "--account",
    userID, item["id"]) ["urls"]
    ?. filter (url => url[ "primary"]) [0] ["href"]') (-2700)

In addition, there are no instructions for when I copy the Snippet.

Add this snippet to ~/.ssh/config to configure your SSH client.
    Host *
    IdentityAgent "~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C. cOI

Copy Snippet
    Learn more about advanced configuration options.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

@Smithjw YES

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member

I'm also having lots of problems getting this to work...

First I had to enable osascript:

Then I got this error:

❯ export alfred_workflow_data=/Users/messina/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/com.alfredapp.1password && export logins_only=0 && /Users/messina/Dropbox/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.57604626-FD6B-435D-949E-A72EDAA31B18/signin.zsh
    export: not valid in this context: Support/Alfred/Workflow

And now I got this error:

• Smithjw
    Smithjw
    Community Member

Might be a good idea to file an issue on GitHub. I did see a new release of the workflow about 20 mins ago... https://github.com/alfredapp/1password-workflow/issues/3

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @Smithjw, 1Password need to resolve this cumbersome installation progress. Alfred integration just works with Version 7. This is a retrograde step.

This discussion has been closed.