Keyboard Shortcuts For Safari Extension?

nimvio
nimvio
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

The keyboard shortcuts for the Safari browser extension still use the old 1Password X ones--e.g., "Cmd + Shift + X" to show 1Password in Safari, and "Cmd + Shift + L" to lock 1Password. Can we customize these just like in the other browsers? Or at least mirror the custom shortcuts we have in the desktop app?

Also, the keyboard shortcut I set up for locking the 1P 8 Early Access app doesn't work anymore. I tried changing it, etc. When I'm on the Mac desktop, for example, the system reads my keyboard shortcut just as if I had pressed any letter. (For example, if you're on the Mac desktop screen and press a letter on your keyboard, it will select the first file/folder on the desktop that corresponds to the letter. In other words, there's some kind of bug that's causing the Mac to not send the command to lock the 1Password app. It over-rides it?)

1Password Version: Early Access 8.5
Extension Version: latest for Safari; 2.x.x
OS Version: macOS 12.1.x

Comments

• @nimvio

I am not aware of a way to customize the shortcuts. I'll have to check with the extensions team on that. I also replied to your earlier topic on the locking behavior. I experience the same. I have let the developers know.

• rpatrick2282
    rpatrick2282
    Community Member

I am very interested in this also, with Safari Tab Groups I find myself wanting to open the Safari side bar and the keyboard shortcut for that is Command + Shift + L so it does not work

• Hi @rpatrick2282:

Thanks for your feedback here. As Tommy mentioned, there currently isn't a way to configure the keyboard shortcuts in 1Password for Safari, but this is definitely something we want to improve on, so I've added your feedback to the internal issue we have on the subject.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9365

• rpatrick2282
    rpatrick2282
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P Thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@rpatrick2282 On behalf of Jack, you are welcome!

• rpatrick2282
    rpatrick2282
    Community Member

I just wanted to follow up here to see if there is a timeline for this update? I have looked through the release notes and did not see anything about it. I just ask as this is stopping me from using the the beta (which I think is really great BTW) and am looking forward to the version 8 with hopes that it will not break my current workflow

• Hey @rpatrick2282:

There currently aren't any updates to share, but I'll follow up with the team and share your feedback as we work to make 1Password 8 the best it can be.

Jack

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, @rpatrick2282 . Every little bit counts :)

• uloco
    uloco
    Community Member

The problem with cmd+shift+L for locking is, that the default sidebar show/hide shortcut in safari is the same and we have no way to change this. Please use the shortcuts from the desktop app, since this is also additionally confusing.

• ungborib
    ungborib
    Community Member

Just want to add another voice for the ability to change the shortcut, as cmd-shift-x conflicts with another functionality I've been using.

• Hi @ungborib:

Thanks for your feedback on this. I've shared your thoughts about ⌘+Shift+X on an internal issue we have tracking this.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#8796

• dlemos
    dlemos
    Community Member

I would really like to be able to customize this shortcut as "Cmd + Shift + X" is a very important shortcut for a tool used internally at Apple and having 1Password take over this shortcut seriously hinders my productivity

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member

To add a use case here, Google Docs strikethrough shortcut is cmd+shift+X so I can never use that with the Safari 1P extension enabled.

• Hey @dlemos / @bradical:

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've added you both to the internal issue I mentioned above.

Jack

• Davidfh
    Davidfh
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

The keyboard shortcut Shift-Command-X to open 1Password is the same as strikethrough on the Mac! I need the strikethrough option more than I need the open 1Password. Help!

1Password Version: 7.9.5
    Extension Version: 2.3.7
    OS Version: Mac OS 11.6.4
    Browser:_ Chrome
    Referrer: forum-search:keyboard shortcut Shift-Command-X

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

The keyboard shortcut Shift-Command-X to open 1Password is the same as strikethrough on the Mac!

My apologies if I am not understanding, but as far as I know, Shift-Command-X opens the 1Password browser extension in Safari or Chrome – not the 1Password desktop application – but first you have to be in one of those browsers (and have a window open).

Also, Shift-Command-X is the strikethrough shortcut in MS Word, but you first have to be in Word, so there shouldn't be any interference with what you do in a browser.

David

EDIT: Somehow I missed the fact that you are using 1Password 7. With that version, the shortcut to open the browser extension (Mini) is Command-\, so using Shift-Command-X in MS Word or anywhere else should not be a factor at all.

What exactly are you doing when you run into a problem with it?

• Brooky
    Brooky
    Community Member

I have the same issue with @bradical . Our team use Google doc a lot and we want to use the default shortcut ( "cmd+shift+X") for "strikethrough".

1Password used to have a configuration for shortcut setting, and I can no longer find it after I upgrade to 1Password 8 :(

• Hey @Davidfh:

You can configure the keyboard shortcut used for 1Password in Chrome by navigating to this URL in Chrome: chrome://extensions/shortcuts

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• Davidfh
    Davidfh
    Community Member

Thanks! Worked perfectly.

• siguy
    siguy
    Community Member

+1-ing this issue. I also work in Google Docs all day and cmd+shift+x is a shortcut I need to use so it can't be gobbled up by the 1password safari extension with no way to change it.

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2022

Thanks @siguy and @Brooky

I've added your feedback to our internal discussion.

ref: dev/core/core#8796

• Hi @Davidfh,

On behalf of Jack, you're very welcome! Feel free to post again if we can help with anything in the future. 🙂

And thanks for jumping in to help, @DavidB, very much appreciated. 💙

• toddf11
    toddf11
    Community Member

+1 to this issue. I use command+shift+x in Google Docs and find it very frustrating not to be able to customize the 1password shortcut.

• acbolt
    acbolt
    Community Member

Me too! I use Command+Shift+X in Google Docs all the time to strike out text and suddenly 1Password has taken over!

• smilinggoat0
    smilinggoat0
    Community Member

Hi there, how can I change the keyboard shortcut for 1Password in Safari?

I, too, am trying to use Command Shift X for a different site. This is frustrating that it is not documented or configurable anywhere, including the 1Password keyboard shortcuts settings.

• GreyM1P
    edited October 2022

@smilinggoat0

You can change the keyboard shortcut for 1Password in the browser in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Brave, but unfortunately not Safari right now. In those browsers, you can right-click the 1Password icon in the toolbar and choose Settings, from where you can set a new keyboard shortcut in the Shortcuts section, or following the link there to the browser's extension settings.

All the keyboard shortcuts for 1Password, including 1Password in the browser, can be found here on the 1Password Support website: 1Password keyboard shortcuts.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like any further help. :)

• smilinggoat0
    smilinggoat0
    Community Member

Hi gray, thanks for your reply. That’s disappointing that this can’t be changed or disabled in safari. Hopefully this will be remedied soon. Also, this keyboard shortcut isn’t listed in the keyboard shortcut settings in the app. I’m sure you can understand my confusion in saying it’s undocumented. Thanks.

• Thanks for the quick reply, @smilinggoat0!

The keyboard shortcut to open the browser extension is written in the text blurb just below the "1Password in the browser" heading, but I do see your point about how it might be made more visible. I'll share this with the team and appreciate you bringing it to our attention. 👍🏻

• smilinggoat0
    smilinggoat0
    Community Member

Hi Andrew,
    I'm looking in the app and in the browser extension and I can't see this anywhere. Either in the keyboard shortcuts or on the the browser section.

• My apologies, @smilinggoat0, I misread and thought we were talking about the keyboard shortcuts support page. 😞

You're spot on that the browser extension shortcuts aren't listed in the app itself. They can be found within the settings of the browser extensions (right-clicking the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar > Settings) though not in Safari:

I'll surface this internally so we can explore making this more visible, even when the shortcuts themselves can't be edited. Apologies again for the confusion and thanks for your feedback!