Easy two-way linking of related items (suggestion)

Options
tmakaro
tmakaro
Community Member

I understand that linking related items is one-way by default, but the majority of the time, I want to have 2 way links. Creating two way links is a bit tedious. I first go to create the first link which involved editing the item, adding a related item field, searching for the related item, and then saving the edits. Then I use that link to go to the related item and repeat the same steps to edit that item. If I'm making a lot of links (say to a new credit card), then it can be easy to miss one.

How about adding a button when editing that says "make link 2-way" (or something to that effect). Where the yellow box is in the following image:

Alternatively, when I go to choose the related item on the second item to make the reverse link you would add a "suggested links".

Though the later options sounds more annoying to implement given that you'd have to find the link that points the opposite direction first in order to suggest it.

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 21H2

Comments

• Hi @tmakaro, thanks for this suggestion! This could be a neat idea. I'll pass your suggestion on to the development team as a potential area of improvement - thanks for offering your thoughts on how we could do this better! 😄

ref: IDEA-I-425

• abdc
    abdc
    Community Member
    Options

Came here to request the same, glad to note that it’s under consideration

• Hey @abdc:

Thanks for chiming in! I've added your thoughts to the idea Peter mentioned above. 🙂

Jack

• ConnorB
    ConnorB
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for two-way linking. I love the linking feature, but I hardly ever use the feature because I loathe having to create the link twice. With an option to create a two-way link I would use this feature way more.

• Consider the vote counted, @ConnorB! We appreciate your feedback here.

• stritch000
    stritch000
    Community Member
    Options

Found this while looking for a different feature.
    +1 for "make 2-way" suggestion
    +1 for "suggested links"

• PeterG_1P
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thank you @stritch000! Your vote has been counted. 🙌

• GeoffLawrence
    GeoffLawrence
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like 2-way linking to be easier. See also https://1password.community/discussion/131407/linking-items-back-and-forth noted by @AliH1P

• Hi @GeoffLawrence,

Thanks for your vote here and passing along the related discussion. I've let the team know this is a feature you'd like to see make it into 1Password. 👍

ref: IDEA-I-425

• darrenkidd
    darrenkidd
    Community Member
    Options

I would love 2-way links too. My use case is for addresses, credit cards, mobile numbers, anything that changes over time. I currently can quite easily link an online account to say the credit card(s) registered with it. However, if those cards are compromised or expired, I'd love to be able to do a reverse lookup by going to the credit card item, and then finding all of the accounts that link back to it. That gives me a great TODO list of places I need to update. Rinse and repeat for changing phone and address when moving countries etc.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @darrenkidd, thanks for letting us know that you'd like to see two-way item links as well, and for walking us through your use case! I've gone ahead and filed your feedback with our product team, including all of the details you've provided here.

If you have any further feedback or questions, let me know 😄

ref: 32990287

• Bikr
    Bikr
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

+1 on this.

Personally, I always want a two-way link. I can't think of a scenario where I'd only need a one-way link.

My most recent scenario was linking a health savings account (HSA) debit card ("credit card" in 1Password) with my HSA account info entry ("login" in 1Password), so I can quickly go from one to the other. I linked them both ways, but it was twice as much work than if a link was bidirectional by default.

But as long as 2-way is an option, that'd also be an improvement.

• Hi @Bikr,

Thanks for your +1! I've passed your feedback along to the team by way of a feature request.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance!

ref: PB 34425411

• darrenkidd
    darrenkidd
    Community Member
    Options

My use case is for addresses, credit cards, mobile numbers, anything that changes over time.

I'm actually going through the exact use case I mentioned above right now. I changed addresses recently. I wish that I'd been able to link all of my accounts to my old address over the past few years, as then I'd have a convenient back-linked TODO list that I could work through to change over to my new address. :(

• Hi @darrenkidd, thanks for reaching back out to let us know about your current situation. I can definitely understand how two-way links would make this type of change much easier to manage, and we do apologise for any inconvenience caused here. I've added these additional details to the feature request on file for the team to see.

If there's anything else we can help with, let us know!

ref: 32990287

• Kitforbes
    Kitforbes
    Community Member
    Options

Another request for this. I've searched for the functionality a few times over the years - really hoping that we could see it added in 2024!

• Hello @Kitforbes,

Thanks for message and +1 for the a bidirectional linking feature in 1Password. I've sent your request along to the product team.

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions to submit.

ref: PB 37524796

• Hello @asrogers - Welcome to the 1Password community!

Thanks for your feedback and passing along those alternate threads. The processes we have used internally to update the product team on customer feature requests has changed a few times since 2017. I can assure you that past requests were moved forward to the current database we are using to house those requests.

While I can't make any promises about features like this making it in to 1Password, the Product team takes all requests and feedback in to consideration when making decisions about adding functionality to the app.

I also just sent as feedback for feature request

Could you confirm that you had sent an email to the us here in Customer Experience at
    support@1password.com? If so, could you reply with your Support ID number, so I can help look in to this further? If you've already received a response from the team that your feedback was filed with Product team, we're be all set!

I'm looking forward to your reply.

• asrogers
    asrogers
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d
    First of all, I very much appreciate the reply. Thank you.
    allan

here is the support ID number
    Re: [#ZLS-23755-778] Question about 1Password
    but it was also about the linking 2 way

Hi Allan,
    Thanks for contacting us! I understand that you'd like the link related items feature to create a two-way link.
    I can absolutely understand how two-way item links would be more convenient and intuitive than having to manually create two links each time. I've gone ahead and filed a feature request with our Product team on your behalf, including all of the details you've provided here. While I can't make any promises as to if or when this change might be made to 1Password, you can keep an eye on future changes in our release notes here: 1Password Releases
    Thanks for taking the time to write in with your suggestion! If you have any further feedback or questions, let me know.
    Take care, and have a wonderful week!
    Gem Newbold
    Customer Support @ 1Password
    https://support.1password.com/

• Hi @asrogers - thanks for this!

I can confirm your request is with the team.

Have a great day!

• JC2
    JC2
    Community Member
    Options

I'm +1 / adding on to this request: For those of us that cycle email addresses, physical addresses, credit cards, etc. it is imperative to track which of those we use for each account login. In the current feature set of 1Password, if I have linked 15 login items to a single credit card item, how can I view all the login items that have been linked to that credit card item? If we don't have 2-way linking, is there a report, view, search, etc. that could be used to find all the login items where a specific credit card is linked?

I've considered creating tags for this purpose, but that means duplicating every identity and credit card record as a tag.

• @JC2

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the team.

For now, it sounds like manually linking the item both ways is the best option for your needs. You'll need to add the relevant item as a related item to your Identity item and then add your Identity item as a related item to each relevant item: Link related items in 1Password

-Dave

ref: PB-37846372

• YellowVista
    YellowVista
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this feature. I'd also really like a way to link Related Items across vaults. I understand the link would break if I ever lost read permissions on the vault in question. But I have a lot of Items that I would like to link together but can't because they are in separate vaults (e.g., Notes that relate to items in multiple vaults, credit cards links to items across vaults, etc.).

• Thanks, @YellowVista - I've passed your +1 and details along to the Product team!

Have a great day!

ref: PB 38106095