Questions after upgrading to 1Password 7 from 1Password 5

organleroy
organleroy
Community Member

After the latest Chrome update broke 1Password 5's ability to use the classic browser extension, I decided to buy a Family subscription plan, download 1Password 7 from 1Password.com, and migrate my data.

The migration is complete. Now I need some help understanding how 1Password 7 organizes vaults, and the difference between the categories "OUR FAMILY" and "ON MY MAC."

I'm attaching a side-by-side comparison of how the app sidebar appears in 1Password 5 and 1Password 7.

In my v.5 setup, I had two vaults: "Primary" and "Lucy" (the 2nd is the vault my wife uses).

After the migration, v.7 has two vault categories: OUR FAMILY and ON MY MAC. All my data that was previously in the v.5 vault "Primary" now, in v.7, appears in both the vaults "Private" (under OUR FAMILY) and "Primary" (under ON MY MAC). All the data that was previously in the v.5 vault "Lucy" now, in v.7, only appears in the vault "Lucy" (under ON MY MAC). The vault "Lucy" (under OUR FAMILY) is empty.

So: what is the difference between the categories "OUR FAMILY" and "ON MY MAC"? My wife and I use 1Password across multiple devices; which set of vaults should we use?

The migration instructions at https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ say that I should "delete the old Primary vault." Is this referring to the vault labeled "Primary" under ON MY MAC? The 1Password app will not let me edit or delete that vault.

Last question for this round: how does the Sync function (in 1Password7 > Preferences) work? The preferences dialogue box offers to separately sync the vaults "Primary" and "Lucy" with iCloud, Dropbox, or a folder. When I used 1Password 5, the app stored the data for both our vaults in one file on Dropbox. How does it work now?

Thanks in advance for help. I'm sure there will be more questions after these.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: 2.3.0
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6

Comments

• Hi @organleroy:

Thanks for asking, and I'd be happy to help explain the differences! Thanks for your detailed screenshots as well.

If you've created a new 1Password membership, the vaults under the "Our Family" heading in 1Password 7 would be your vaults contained in your 1Password account. The items under the "On My Mac" heading would be standalone vaults. It sounds like 1Password may have ran into some trouble when migrating your Lucy vault into your 1Password account.

Ideally, everything would be under the Our Family heading, and then you can remove the standalone vaults, but since it seems like your Lucy vault may have not migrated properly, manually moving the items from your On My Mac > Lucy vault to Our Family > Lucy would get you up and running: Move and copy items

After adding the Lucy vault to your 1Password account, you can share that vault with your wife, and then she can either continue to use it as a vault shared with you, or move those items into her Private vault, only accessible to her.

Last question for this round: how does the Sync function (in 1Password7 > Preferences) work?

With a 1Password membership, there's no need to select a sync option. Your items are available on any 1Password app signed into your 1Password account, without needing a third party sync service or selecting a sync folder. After removing all standalone vaults, the Sync preferences tab will disappear from 1Password 7 for Mac.

Jack

• organleroy
    organleroy
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Thanks for responding, @Jack.P_1P .

Moving the items from the On My Mac > Lucy vault to the Our Family > Lucy vault and then deleting the former vault makes sense. However, 1Password won't let me do the same with the On My Mac > Primary vault; I can't rename or delete that vault. Is there a solution for this?

One more question: does each of my family's devices store a local version of its data, so that it can still open and read 1Password when no internet connection is present? In such a case, if that device modifies data in 1Password, does it automatically sync once reconnected to the internet?

• Hi @organleroy:

After you've confirmed that all of the items in your Primary vault are now in your new Private vault, you can remove the Primary vault by choosing Preferences > Advanced, then deselecting "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts".

Note that this will result in all items in your standalone Primary vault being deleted, so double check that all items are in your Private vault as you expect before removing your Primary vault.

One more question: does each of my family's devices store a local version of its data, so that it can still open and read 1Password when no internet connection is present? In such a case, if that device modifies data in 1Password, does it automatically sync once reconnected to the internet?

Yes, that's correct. You can unlock 1Password and use your items when there's no internet connection, and changes made when you're offline will be available on other devices, once the device is again connected to the internet, without having to perform any manual sync operations.

Jack

• organleroy
    organleroy
    Community Member

Thanks for the very clear explanation, @Jack.P_1P.

• @organleroy

I'm happy that Jack was able to help. 😊

This discussion has been closed.