About the app on Apple Watch

simonemargio
simonemargio
Community Member

Hi,
from one of your past posts, I saw that you are also redesigning the application for iOS. Since I haven't seen or read any big news for the Apple Watch app, will it be kept?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @simonemargio:

Glad to hear you like the Apple Watch app for 1Password! I hope to have more details to share about 1Password 8 for iOS in the coming months.

Jack

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

I second this. I hope the Apple Watch app gets updated sooner than later, because I don’t want it to be “forgotten” to the point they delete it. Also, I like the idea of being able to maybe “hide” a password on the Watch app, until maybe tapped? There’s quite a bit that could be done to take the Watch app to the next level.

• Our community and other social media are great places to stay up to date on the happenings around 1Password. If you have not signed up for our newsletter, it's a valuable resource. Especially when you may not get to check the community each day.

📰 News about keeping your passwords secure

• karlieeuh
    karlieeuh
    Community Member

is the new 1Password8 iOS app providing at least the same level of support to the watch as 1Password7?

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member

@karlieeuh I'm afraid it does not. Just installed 1Password 8 and the watch app is currently missing from the update. 1Password's VP of Engineering commented on reddit regarding this topic:

We have nothing to announce with regards to a Watch app in 1Password 8. If the Watch app is a part of your workflow, please let us know how you're using it (you can write in to support+ios@1password.com). In the meantime, you can leave 1Password 7 installed on your phone to retain the Watch app on your wrist. I've been running with both installed for over a year now and they do not conflict.

This is also what I am currently doing and it works fine so far.

• LoRob145
    LoRob145
    Community Member

Having two 1Password apps of different versions on your iPhone to run the Apple Watch app is redundant, lazy and unsatisfactory. I use the watch app all the time ( eg. passcodes for door entry’s, old combination lock sequences, etc). I simply won’t update until there is a watch app. It’s too convenient to give up. And I’m not running two apps to do that.

• elmocito
    elmocito
    Community Member

I can just approve this message. I don't get why 1P has AW support on Version 7 but not on 8 🤷🏻‍♂️

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member

@LoRob145 my usecase is quite similar (debit card PINs, my roommate's bike lock, ...) but because these codes rarely ever change, using both versions at the same time works really well. I've been using the v8 beta for some weeks and barely ever touched v7 again, except when an item on my watch needed to be updated. But I see that's not the best solution and I'm also hoping that v8 gets the watch integration as soon as possible.

@elmocito in yesterday's Twitter Space someone from the 1Password team mentioned some unfortunate illnesses that slowed down the team responsible for the Watch App.

• LoRob145
    LoRob145
    Community Member

norysang, I agree with everything you've mentioned, but I have also had the experience that once one or two system updates occur some old apps stop functioning, so again, to my mind this is not ideal and is a step backward for 1Password 8. I am glad to hear that the 1P team has been slowed down and that this might account for the lack of a watch app, but I have not read anywhere from them that they are indeed planning an Apple Watch app as part of 1P8. Thanks for your comments.

• Bond5000
    Bond5000
    Community Member

Now this is a problem. I downloaded ver 8 deleted ver 7 and when I went to use the watch app it was gone. Tried going to the App Store to download ver 7 again and can’t find it. Not sure why the 1P team did not mention this anywhere. Not happy at all. Please bring watch support back. Any way to get ver 7 downloaded again?

• mwil
    mwil
    Community Member

@Bond5000 You can go to App Store > Account (click on your Logo), then Purchased. You will find he old App there with a cloud symbol, you can install it again from there.

I will just downgrade to the old version, I prefer functionality to a new design.

• Bond5000
    Bond5000
    Community Member

@mwil thanks!!!

• HappySpaceInvader
    HappySpaceInvader
    Community Member

@mwil thanks so much for explaining how to downgrade. It’s more than just the lack of Apple Watch compatibility for me… I don’t like the new UI at all, and the auto-fill feature in iOS Safari is significantly worse in v8.

• HappySpaceInvader
    HappySpaceInvader
    Community Member

“If the Watch app is a part of your workflow, please let us know how you're using it”

I’m dumbstruck that 1Password’s VP of Engineering apparently didn’t know how the Watch app they provided is used.

It was used to look up passwords quickly without having to reach for your phone!

• Hi folks:

We’re actively working on an Apple Watch app and we’re very excited about it. We weren’t able to get it in the initial launch but it is coming soon. 🤗 Until then you can run 1Password 7 alongside v8 to use the Watch app in that version.

Jack

• Chevalier
    Chevalier
    Community Member

I certainly hope so as this is definitely a step backwards in functionality. 1PW, with it's now cartoony interface, has slipped from 'must have' to I'm now looking at alternatives.

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

Is there a beta we could try yet?

• Hi @Stanzilla:

Nothing to share just yet. Keep an eye out here or on https://releases.1password.com/ to know when it's available!

Jack

• Hey folks,

Have you seen our new blog posting? As of today, 1Password 8 for Apple Watch is available:

Announcing 1Password 8 for Apple Watch ⌚️

More exciting things to come.

This discussion has been closed.