Is it possible to use the Firefox extension with the LibreWolf browser on Mac and Windows?

rickapel
rickapel
Community Member
edited February 16 in 1Password in the Browser

Just downloaded and starting using LibreWolf as it is being lauded as a hardened we browser. I was wondering if there are any others out there who are knowledgeable as to if the 1Password Firefox extensions would work in LibreWolf.

I do not know the internals of these browsers well enough to discern this on my own, but thought I would throw it out there in the community, hoping somebody with more experience would respond. I do know that there are the 2 types of extensions that 1password uses (local DB and the X version using remote calls), so any responses to this post can assume that I have that basic knowledge.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:librewolf

Comments

• Lewys
    Lewys
    Community Member

I use LibreWolf as a browser, which is a fork of Firefox with some tinkering under the hood to improve things like privacy, security etc.

Because it's a fork of Firefox, I can install the 1Password extension for Firefox in LibreWolf. However, the browser extension and the full blown version of 1Password do not play nicely. It's like they're independent of each other.

I can't use biometrics for example to unlock 1Password from the browser extension in LibreWolf, the option simply isn't there. Previously when I've unlocked 1Password from the main app, then the 1Password extension has also been unlocked; that isn't working either. So I'm having to enter in my password - which isn't the end of the world but it is somewhat annoying when you have biometrics available and that functionality exists on other browsers and even forks of those browsers.

When I use Firefox - the above all works. I can use my fingerprint to unlock 1Password, directly from the browser.

Brave is essentially a fork of Chrome - the 1Password extensions are exactly the same piece of software. Yet 1Password in Brave works exactly the same as it does on Chrome. Why doesn't the Firefox 1Password extension work for LibreWolf? Brave is Chrome, as LibreWolf is to Firefox.

Are there any plans to officially support LibreWolf and allow things like unlocking with biometrics?

Thanks,
    Lewys

1Password Version: 8.7.0 and 7.9.3
    Extension Version: 2.3.0
    OS Version: macOS 12.2

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2022

@Lewys

I suspect it does not work because of this.

This project is an independent fork of Firefox

I would be happy to let the team know you are interested in this browser. I can't make any promises but I can certainly share your request.

ref: IDEA-I-371

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2022

@rickapel

I have also passed on your desire for this browser.

ref: IDEA-I-371

• slick
    slick
    Community Member

@ag_tommy could you please also pass on my desire to have this browser added?

Recently switched from Firefox to Librewolf also and would really like the browser extension to work with the desktop app.

Thanks!

• PaulDoesDev
    PaulDoesDev
    Community Member

I would also like to pass on my desire to have this browser supported

• thedaneu
    thedaneu
    Community Member

As I suggested here, the best way would be to add an additional verification step to add support for unverified browsers, if a users wants to do so. Yet the 1Password team didn't even bothered to answer / react to my post :-)

• PaulDoesDev
    PaulDoesDev
    Community Member

Similarly, doesn't work with arkenfox. Would definitely be happy to see an option for unverified browsers

• bongoboink
    bongoboink
    Community Member

I would also very much like to see support for LibreWolf..

• Cromwell
    Cromwell
    Community Member

I also extend my wishes for 1Password support within LibreWolf.

• I've passed along everyone's feedback and requests to the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-32075477
    ref: PB-32075535
    ref: PB-32075559
    ref: PB- 32075579
    ref: PB-32075593

• 1pwdnoob
    1pwdnoob
    Community Member

+1 for librewolf, please.

• I've passed along your request @1pwdnoob. Thanks for letting us know you're also interested!

PB-32171652

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

LibreWolf here too, please. Or better yet, let us add browsers.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @TheDave, thanks for the request. I'm excited to let you know that it will be possible to add 1Password to the browser of your choice in the future. We have an announcement about that here: https://1password.community/discussion/140735/extending-support-for-trusted-web-browsers#latest

I don't have any dates to provide at the moment, but when the feature is ready, it will be first available in the Nightly version of the 1Password app. Here's how to get that:

1. Open the 1Password desktop app.
    2. Click your account name and select "Settings".
    3. Click the Advanced tab, for Release channel select "Nightly".

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

Nice, that looks perfect! Especially combined with passkey support it will make using a "forget everything between sessions" borderline tolerable.

Any rough ETA to when this will hit nightly? Are we talking days, weeks, months or years?

• Hey @TheDave,

It's great that you are excited for this feature! Unfortunately we can't make any promises as to a timeframe but the team are working hard to extend browser support soon.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

~3 months later, still can't use 1Password. Any news?

• Hi @TheDave thanks for reaching out!

We've recently introduced the ability to add trusted browsers to 1Password through the desktop app. The feature is available in the desktop app on Mac devices. Although I can't guarantee a timeline, we are working to get this feature available in Windows as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Hi everyone, I wanted to provide some info about adding LibreWolf as a trusted browser.

After discussing with my colleagues it looks like 1Password's trusted browser feature won't be able to add LibreWolf as a trusted browser. For security reasons, the "Trusted Browser" feature requires a valid code signature on all browsers that it is used with.

Since Librewolf doesn't have a valid code signature, it won't work with the new "Trusted Browsers" feature. With Librewolf not being signed, you can still use 1Password in the browser without app integration. I recommend reaching out to the developers of LibreWolf to request that they sign the browser using the appropriate process on each platform so that it can be added as a trusted browser.

I will also let our Product team know that our users would like to see more support for LibreWolf or other unsigned browsers.

I apologize for any confusion. Let me know if you have any questions!

• PaulDoesDev
    PaulDoesDev
    Community Member

Librewolf's stance on it is "we don't have a paid Apple Developer license and we don't want to support this signing mechanism that is put behind a paywall without providing significant gains".

I think we should be able to use 'Trusted Browser' with whatever browser we want. That seems like the whole point of the feature. Pop up a warning or two so people know what they're getting themselves into.

It's a security issue for us, not for you, right?

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023

@PaulDoesDev

Thanks for the reply. Browsers are required to be codesigned before they can be added as a trusted browser so that other applications can't pretend to be that browser to 1Password.

That being said, the team is exploring other ways that we can potentially satisfy this requirement in a safe and secure manner in the future and your feedback has been passed along internally. 🙂

-Dave

• renewableparrot
    renewableparrot
    Community Member
    edited November 2023

For those that are looking for Librewolf support specifically in a Linux context, it appears staff have split that conversation into a new thread "LibreWolf on Linux."

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023

@renewableparrot

1Password for Linux works a little differently from the other platforms when it comes to integration with desktop browsers. To reduce confusion, I've moved your comment over to the other thread which is dedicated to the situation on Linux. Please continue the conversation there.

-Dave

• LeeButler
    LeeButler
    Community Member

If 1Password MacOS can't be authorized to communicate with the 1Password Firefox extension when used in LibreWolf, can we at least get system authentication added to the extension to make it usable?

• @LeeButler

Thank you for the feedback. Can you tell me a little more about your suggestion? What exactly do you mean by "system authentication" in the context of macOS and do you have any examples of other extensions for Firefox that offer such a feature?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• renewableparrot
    renewableparrot
    Community Member

It would probably be of relevance to the group that I got the desktop integration working in Librewolf. I'm on Linux (specifically NixOS), so I'm not sure about other operating systems, but I did so using a combination of placing the appropriate custom_allowed_browsers file (general steps described here) and, specifically for Librewolf, creating a symbolic link as described here.

• @renewableparrot

Thanks for sharing! 1Password for Linux works a little differently from other platforms and that wouldn't work for 1Password for Mac (or Windows) as mentioned here.

However I'm sure that folks using Linux will appreciate the tip. 🙂

-Dave

• LeeButler
    LeeButler
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

The 1Password MacOS app allows me to unlock the app using my TouchID (MacBookAir/M1). Using a browser with a 1Password extension that can communicate with the app (e.g. Firefox, Chrome), that TouchID unlock works for both the app and the extension (not news to you...).

When the extension cannot communicate with the app (e.g. LibreWolf) then I need to enter my 1Password every time I have to unlock the extension. I use an 8 word remember-able passphrase and it is annoying under these circumstances.

I was hoping that there is a Firefox extension can request a bio-metric authentication the way that the app does. I am not an active developer any longer so I have no idea if that is possible, that would ease the non-connection issue...

• LeeButler
    LeeButler
    Community Member

Apologies, I didn't mean bio-metric authentication but rather 'system authentication'.

• @LeeButler

Thanks for the reply. As far as I'm aware, it's not possible for Firefox extensions to request and use biometric authentication by themselves. To unlock 1Password in the browser, the 1Password desktop app must be installed and the browser extension has to be trusted by the desktop app in order to facilitate communication between the desktop app and the browser extension.

The "shared locked state" between the desktop app and the browser allows you to use biometrics, or your Apple Watch, to unlock both the desktop app and the browser extension at the same time. If you're only using the browser extension, or you're using a browser that isn't trusted by the desktop app, then you'll need to unlock 1Password in the browser using your account password.

-Dave