New Master password not syncing across devices

Options
thughes26
thughes26
Community Member

Hi, in the past month or so I changed my 1Password web account however 1Password for Mac and my browser extensions (Safari and Brave) are still referencing the old password and I'm at a loss for how to get them syncing to use the new password I created for the web. Strangely, at least IMO, the iOS client uses the new password and no longer works with the old password.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.3 (70903003)
Extension Version: 2.3.0 (Brave)
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• Hello @thughes26! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry to hear that you're still being asked for your old account password to unlock 1Password on your Mac. I usually see people unable to use a new password to unlock 1Password on just one device (where the password works fine on their other devices) when they have a "Primary" standalone vault leftover from before a migration to a 1Password account. 1Password for Mac will unlock using the first account or vault that was added to the app, so if that was a Primary vault then the app will unlock using the password of that Primary vault.

You can check for a Primary vault on your Mac by doing the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on the Vaults option in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
    3. Click on Switch to Vault.
    4. Do you see a Primary vault listed?

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• thughes26
    thughes26
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply! here's what I see when I check the vault but yes, I think you're right in that this was the initial vault used.

• @thughes26

Thank you for the reply! I recommend that you migrate the items in your standalone "Primary" vault to your 1Password account and then remove the standalone "Primary" vault from your Mac. We have a great guide here: Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

Let me know if you run into any issues. 😊

• thughes26
    thughes26
    Community Member
    Options

So, I don't believe this is the issue. The 1Password app on my mac is still referencing the old password and not my 1password.com account password (which is what I use for my mobile devices). Does that make sense?

• @thughes26

Thank you for the reply. When you say that the 1Password for Mac app is "referencing the old password" do you mean that you're still being asked to unlock the app using your old password? Or do you mean something else?

The 1Password for Mac app unlocks using the password of the first vault or account added to the app. Since you have a Primary vault it's very likely that the Primary vault pre-dates your 1Password account and so your 1Password app would unlock using the Primary vault's password instead of using your 1Password account's password. While you changed your 1Password account password, the password for the Primary vault would have remained what it was previously since the Primary vault isn't part of your 1Password account.

If you don't mean the password that you use to unlock the app then please let me know. πŸ™‚

This discussion has been closed.