Success: Restoring Deleted 1Password Membership Vaults

Options
benjaminbojko
benjaminbojko
Community Member
edited March 2022 in Mac

Hi, just wanted to share a recent recovery experience I had with a 1Password membership vault that I accidentally deleted.

I only found old threads here stating that deleting cloud vaults is immediate and permanent (see this thread, for example). I also contacted 1Password support and they also said that my vault cannot be restored.

Luckily, I had Time Machine backups set up and here's how I restored my vault:

1. Turn off Wifi/disconnect from internet to prevent 1Password from syncing
  2. Quit 1Password
  3. (Just in case), make a copy of your current 1Password cache at
    ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password
    ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits
  4. Restore the two folders above from Time Machine
  5. Re-open 1Password with Wifi still off and your vaults should be restored

I simply copied the recovered items into a new vault, so I can't say what would happen if you simply turned Wifi on after step 5 and if a cloud sync would remove the restored vaults again, so your mileage may vary.

I hope this helps somebody in the future.

Thanks to @Greg in this thread for pointing me in the right direction.

Ben

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @benjaminbojko! 👋

You are correct that deleting a vault in your 1Password account is permanent and that there is no way to recover the deleted vault from the perspective of your 1Password account. When a user chooses to delete a vault the following warning appears:

However, if you had the 1Password 7 for Mac app already installed and you also have a full disk Time Machine backup of your Mac from prior to the deletion of the vault you may be able to recover data from the deleted vault by restoring a previous version of the 1Password app's local data and then copying the items to a new vault as you described doing in your post.

I'm happy that you were able to recover your data from the deleted vault, thank you for posting your findings. 😊

This discussion has been closed.