Do you still need your 2FA device if you use the emergency kit to access your account?

Options

I have a personal account/vault. I have an emergency kit filled out and placed in our safe. If something happens to me, will my spouse be able to access the accounts using the emergency kit even if the 2FA device is not available? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 7.9.2
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1
Referrer: forum-search:do you still need your 2FA device if you use the emergency kit

Comments

• mrbeign
    mrbeign
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

No, you would need to include the code that was presented when you enabled 2FA so that she could recreate the OTP in an authenticator unless she was getting back into the account on a device already authorized for your 1password account.

• Hey @drdredsnomo:

Great question! As @mrbeign mentioned (thanks for the assist! 😎) this would depend slightly on what situation this was. If your wife was using your Emergency Kit without access to any of your devices where you have added your 1Password account to the 1Password app, she would need your account password, Secret Key, and access to your two-factor authentication app or security key (if you've added a security key as a two-factor authentication option). If your wife would have access to one of your devices however, she would only need the account password to unlock the 1Password app.

Let me know if that helps clarify things!

Jack

• drdredsnomo
    drdredsnomo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Jack.P and mrbeign! Very useful to know.

• @drdredsnomo

On behalf of Jack, you are most welcome! 😊

This discussion has been closed.