How do I prevent 1Password from autofilling on specific urls?

Options

I'm trying to figure out how to disable 1Password for specific websites. I understand that the first time I visit a url have the option to "Never Ask Again," but I don't know how to manually enable that feature for a website that I visit frequently.

I do want to maintain this site's account credentials in 1Password, including the username, email address, and site url, but I do not want the 1Password browser extension actually displaying on that url. Is there a way to achieve this?

I'm using Firefox.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.2 (70902004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Firefox Extension 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @matthewmagellan! Right now, there's not a way to disable 1Password for specific websites. However, we do have an internal feature request for this, and I can add your voice to it.

In the meantime, some ways to close out of the inline menu that you'd see on your sites is to:

• Press ESC on your keyboard.
    • Click on a blank area in the page to remove focus from the field.
    • Click the little 1Password icon on the right side of the field to toggle it off.

If you'd like to take things a step further and disable the inline menu from automatically appearing (on all sites), this can be done by going into the extension's settings page. Here are the steps for that:

1. Right-click the extension's icon on the top right corner of the browser and select Settings.
    2. Go to Autofill and turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option there.

I hope that helps for now. Let us know if you have any other questions!

• iresa
    iresa
    Community Member
    Options

In my case I am using another password manager for my private data and 1password for our company. It is very helpful that 1password shows up for everything new/unknown.
    But it is equally annoying that I have to
    1. right mouseclick
    2. disable for this site
    3. chose my other password managers suggestion
    for access to sites supposed not to be managed by 1password.

It is, by the way, very surprising from a user's perspective that "disable for this site" only lasts for the duration of the browser session. I thought there was an error in the application, until I read that this is how it is supposed to work. Actually this makes "disable for this site" close to pointless.

This has been requested already a while ago: https://1password.community/discussion/116572/disable-for-certain-urls
    That discussion has been closed.

I am adding my voice too, if that helps.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iresa thanks for the feedback. I will gladly share your thoughts with my team. I do know that the ability to turn off the inline menu on specific sites is something the devs are keen to implement. While I can't make any promises, I do hope that it can happen sooner rather than later.

IDEA-I-596

• whitcook
    whitcook
    Community Member
    Options

Has there been any movement on muting 1Password for a specific website? A website we use is glitching and we can't have 1Password interfering as we're trying to navigate their workaround.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @whitcook, I don't have a specific update to share. However, our product team and developers are aware of the interest in this. I can't make any promises, but we here in Support will continue to advocate for this on your behalf. Thanks for reaching out about it.

• E29037CB
    E29037CB
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello, please add the function to allow users to disable 1Password from appearing on certain webpages.

For example, there's a saved login details for
    example (dot) com

And in the settings of this saved login details. It's not allowed to pop-out at
    example (dot) com / page / sub-page / * .html

On regular basis, I have to use a dashboard on a certain website that requires to create a lot of data fields and 1Password keep popping out on the data field generator webpage.

Very annoying as the only option for me is to lock my 1Password so that it stops popping out.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Hi @E29037CB

Thanks for writing to us.

Would you mind sharing any other information about how having this feature would be beneficial to you or how not having it is impacting your workflow so I can forward your feedback to our product team?

In the meantime, can you try the following steps and let me know if they help at all?

1. Right click on the webpage.
    2. Hover your cursor over "1Password - Password Manager" in the context menu.
    3. Click "Hide on this page".

Additionally, if you find 1Password's autofill menu too intrusive, you can use the following steps so that it only shows when clicking the 1Password icon in the website field:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and choose "Settings".
    2. In the "Autofill" section, toggle off "Show autofill menu on field focus".

I hope those steps were helpful, I look forward to hearing from you. :)

• E29037CB
    E29037CB
    Community Member
    Options

In the meantime, can you try the following steps and let me know if they help at all?
    Right click on the webpage.
    Hover your cursor over "1Password - Password Manager" in the context menu.
    Click "Hide on this page".

This help! :D

I don't see the 1Password pop-out any more on the webpage I'm having trouble to, even after logging out and logging in back again.

Additionally, if you find 1Password's autofill menu too intrusive, you can use the following steps so that it only shows when clicking the > 1Password icon in the website field:
    Right click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and choose "Settings".
    In the "Autofill" section, toggle off "Show autofill menu on field focus".

Clear, I see this option as well. I'll try it out in the event that Hide on this page doesn't work.

• E29037CB
    E29037CB
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Update #2:

The Hide on this Page feature seems to reset after you reset your computer.

So the pop-up will appear again. Though no worries as I can simply just click it again to hide the 1Password pop-up.

• Hey @E29037CB,

Thank you for getting back to us, you're right 'Hide on this page' will only work for the duration of your session.

I will pass your feedback on to our product team as I agree that it would be beneficial to have a way to make 'Hide on this page' more permanent.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

ref: PB31828993

• Tomtids
    Tomtids
    Community Member
    Options

Please add our whole dev teams voice to this feature request. We really need to be able to disable 1password on selected URLS. Thank you!

• Hey @Tomtids,

I have passed your feedback on to our product team, thank you!

ref: PB33110541

• Pumbania
    Pumbania
    Community Member
    Options

Is it not as simple as not filling in the 'website' field? I believe that is the only field 1Password uses to find matching entries. If you do need to store the website, you can use the 'url' field, as that does not seem to be used for autofilling...

• Hey @Pumbania,

Yes that's right you can remove the website URL or mark an item to never fill on a domain. However, if 1Password thinks a field could be filled it will display 'No items to show' and this also doesn't prevent Identity items from appearing.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• rob29384059
    rob29384059
    Community Member
    Options

+1 here, we use a lot of systems that include forms that confuse 1P. They're not login pages or shopping cart pages, but have form fields with name and address details, and 1P plugin really gets in the way. Kind of bonkers that the "hide on this page" field is not permanent, and not configurable except by going to the problem page.

The ability to block the plugin on specific pages with a regex match would be huge. Being able to push these settings down to 1P team users would be a game-changer.

• Hey @rob29384059,

Thank you for your feedback, I have passed it on to the team.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime!

ref: PB35642816

• dharmab
    dharmab
    Community Member
    Options

The identity item prompts on fields called "Name", which is helpful in 99.9% of websites. However, on some webpages, there are fields labeled Name which are not for my name, but rather the name of someone or something else. It would be lovely to disable all autofill prompts on a page in these rare cases- I'm currently using a webapp that has a Name field for every row I add to a form, and the prompts are very annoying there!

• JasonCo811
    JasonCo811
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there, I really hope I'm not too late on this. I'd like to echo the sentiments shared by many, many people in this thread, as well as the countless others who have requested this feature in years past. Please add my voice to this: we really need to be able to disable 1Password on certain sites. A simple blacklist would do, because surprisingly, the current option to blacklist websites is not as robust as we thought. Really, a simple site blacklist is all we need.

Thank you so much, and I'm hopeful a blacklist feature of some kind makes its way onto your platform, otherwise our org is going to have to switch to Bitwarden, because this is becoming a problem for us with no apparent solution.

• Thank you for getting back to me @dharmab, I'm sorry for my delayed reply.

Can you send over the website URL's whereby 1Password is incorrectly suggesting your name? That way we can test them out and pass the sites on to our development team to see if we can improve the behaviour in a future update.

Thank you!

• Hey @JasonCo811,

Thank you for providing your thoughts and suggestions on this.

I have filed a request on your behalf to see if we can consider adding a blacklist to prevent 1Password from appearing on specific pages in a future update.

We appreciate you taking the time to suggest ways in which we can improve 1Password, let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: PB36853995

• AdaminDC
    AdaminDC
    Community Member
    Options

I can see this issue has been around for a while - and it presented itself to me today when I was adding a user to our SonicWall VPN. There were a couple of drop down menus in the domain section and I literally could not select one of the entries because 1Password kept on popping up trying to offer the password to the site. I looked at the entry to see if there was a "disable autofill" and there was not. The only way I was able to complete my task was by locking 1Password, making my selections, and then unlocking 1Password. It's not a dealbreaker - but definitely an annoyance in certain circumstances.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 17
    Options

@AdaminDC

If you right-click on the page and click "hide on this page" does it help? I rather like turning off the show inline menu automatically and then I'll need to click to inline icon to see any suggestions. You might also try that. I apologize for the annoyance.

Disable Shows autofill suggestions when a form field is in focus.

• akranzel
    akranzel
    Community Member
    Options

I'll also add my voice to this request. I do a lot of work involving various web forms/text boxes, and the 1Password icon covering parts of them is incredibly annoying. There really needs to be a way to disable this feature somehow.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 18
    Options

Thank you for sharing your specific use. I'll get your request before the team @akranzel

ref: PB-37860673

• SvendK
    SvendK
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1Password.

I was just fiddling with this Hide on this page option, as it was keeping showing up on a certain login form, even though I had checked the Hide on this page option. And then I found this thread confirming that the option is only per-session.

Any information on the progress of this feature change request? :-)

Also, is it also working if the URL includes a changing parameter (a session key)? Will it be working if the login stored in 1Password excludes the URL parameter?

Best regards,
    SvendK

• david.m_1P
    edited February 28
    Options

Hi @SvendK,

Thanks for contacting us, and welcome to the community!

I'm sorry that you're experiencing trouble when needing to hide the 1Password inline menu on certain pages. I've let our Product team know that you'd also like to see this feature implemented.

While I don't have any updates to share on this feature request, if the feature becomes available in the future, it will be noted in our release notes: 1Password Releases

You also mentioned:

Also, is it also working if the URL includes a changing parameter (a session key)? Will it be working if the login stored in 1Password excludes the URL parameter?

Can you clarify your question a bit further? In order for 1Password to autofill on a page, the URL for website will need to be saved in the item's details. If the URL is excluded, then the item will not be suggested.

I look forward to hearing from you!

-David

ref: PB-38467275

• SvendK
    SvendK
    Community Member
    Options

Hi David, thanks for the prompt reply.

I'll look forward for any product updates on this part (no backlink to this thread? :-) )

My issue was with the 1Password login page (the one with only a password to enter) which I somehow had saved in 1Password (but with a previous password, so it was not even the right one). I have saved a long password for 1Password in my Google Password Manager, so it's easy, but (I hope) still secure, but the 1Password proposal dropdown was getting in the way. The 10-minute session timeout make me enter the (long) password each and every time I have to use a password from 1Password, which is a bit tedious, so I have to have it saved in the browser.

I guess I could just remove the login to 1Password from 1Password itself. I wonder why the 1Password login URL isn't blacklisted/hidden by default. It doesn't make much sense to have the password for the password manager inside the password manager :-)

And as noted, it was keeping getting back, even though I checked the Hide on this page, but that was the session-only-thing. I just noticed a key in the URL parameters in the 10 minute timeout relogin-form, so I first thought the hiding wasn't working because the full URL was changing. Now I have checked another page, where the stored URL incidentally includes a lot of parameters, and it still works if I go to the base URL (domain.com). And vice versa, I tried removing the long URL for the login in 1Password, so the stored URL is just a base URL, and then went to the long URL in the browser, and that also worked, so my thesis was wrong :-)

It's just the Hide on this page that is session only - which I hope you will fix as soon as possible, as it doesn't have much value as of now.

Thanks again (and sorry for the long post):-)

• Dave_1P
    edited February 29
    Options

@SvendK

Thanks for the reply. You wrote:

My issue was with the 1Password login page (the one with only a password to enter) which I somehow had saved in 1Password (but with a previous password, so it was not even the right one). I have saved a long password for 1Password in my Google Password Manager, so it's easy, but (I hope) still secure, but the 1Password proposal dropdown was getting in the way.

I don't recommend saving the account password for 1Password in another password manager. Your account password should be the "one password" that you memorize and store only in your head (hence our name). If your account password is too long to be memorized then I recommend using our guide to choose a new account that is both memorable and secure:

Remember that your 1Password account is protected using not only your account password but your Secret Key as well.

It's just the Hide on this page that is session only - which I hope you will fix as soon as possible, as it doesn't have much value as of now.

My colleague David has filed a feature request on your behalf, thanks again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

• YvesRausch
    YvesRausch
    Community Member
    Options

Hello everyone,
    I want to use 1Password for the whole company, but this missing feature prevents me from rolling this out, because we can not disable 1Password for our development URI's and user acceptance fro mour development and QA teams would be like zero.
    I found a previous post where someone mentioned to add the URI to the blacklist, but this feature does not seems to exists. It is quiet simple: Add in context menu > Don't use 1Password on this site, add to blacklist, all be happy. This is not really a big deal but community waits for 4 years now on this feature.

• EvonG1P
    Options

Hello @YvesRausch, thank you for your feedback. I’ve shared your request for this feature with the team.

-Evon

ref: PB-38957241