Chrome Extension Now Shows New Error

crablice
crablice
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Using the older 1Password 6.8.9 for Mac and legacy extension 4.7.5.90 on Mac M1 on MacOs Monterey V 12.3.

Using Google Chrome Version 99.0.4844.74 (Official Build) (arm64)

This was working until evening 3/17/2022.

Now get error message:

"1Password can't verify the identity of your web browse. For your protection, 1Password will only fill information in browsers that have been signed by identified developers."

Closed Chrome and restarted and also rebooted Mac from power off without success. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS V 12.3

Comments

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member

Same, here. Is there any way to go to an older version of Chrome? It still works in Firefox.

• ag00836
    ag00836
    Community Member

Same here. I restored a prior version from backup which works, but it would be nice to have this fixed for the current version of Chrome.

• Hi @ag00836 / @paddypdx / @crablice:

Thanks for reaching out. On March 15, Google released Chrome 99, which contained a new code signing certificate. Because of this change, 1Password 6 for Mac no longer works in Chrome 99 or later. The last major update to 1Password 6 for Mac was almost 4 years ago, and as 1Password is a security product, we strongly recommend keeping it up to date.

At this point, updating to 1Password 7 for Mac would be the best option if you want to continue using 1Password in Chrome. Please reach out to us directly at support+tradein@1password.com to discuss the options that are available now. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to connect the dots and locate your email conversations.

Jack

• brainwise
    brainwise
    Community Member

I have the same issue. Chrome needed to update, updated to Version 99.0.4844.74 (Official Build) (x86_64). And once that update was complete, I was getting the "1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser" error. Tried removing and reinstalling the extension, but Chrome acts as though I do not even have the extension.

Using 1Password 6.8.9.

• Hi @brainwise:

As I mentioned above, Google released Chrome 99, which contained a new code signing certificate. Because of this, 1Password 6 for Mac no longer works in Chrome 99 or later. As 1Password is a security product, we strongly recommend keeping it up to date, and the last update to 1Password 6 was nearly four years ago.

At this point, updating to 1Password 7 for Mac would be the best way of continuing to use 1Password in Chrome. Please reach out to our migrations team at support+tradein@1password.com. After emailing, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post it here, and I'll be able to ensure that one of my colleagues will be able to assist you.

Jack

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member

Jack,
    Thank you for the explanation. I couldn't get the link you recommend to work. (support+tradein@1password.com)
    I did try to upgrade a while back but was told 1Password no longer offered the standalone product and all users must convert to a cloud type configuration using 1Password7 servers with a complicated assortment of billing and usage plans. So I didn't pursue that. Is 1Password now offering a new product?

• Hi @crablice:

Thanks for checking in. I apologize for the confusion there, please send us an email addressed to: support+tradein@1password.com.

If you're planning on using 1Password by yourself, a 1Password individual account would be your best bet. If you'd like to share logins with your family, 1Password Families may make more sense. Our dedicated migrations team would be best equipped to go over which account type would be best for you, as well as our trade in discounts we're offering. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our helpful robot assistant, with a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to connect the dots and make sure your email made it to the right place.

Jack

• brainwise
    brainwise
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Thank you, Jack.P_1P. I must have been in the midst of posting my comment, and confirming my account, when you posted your 11:01 comment.

Do I need to purchase a new license for 1Password 7?

• Hi @brainwise:

We no longer sell standalone licenses for 1Password. Our dedicated migrations team would be happy to help you get migrated to a 1Password account, as well as go over the trade in discounts we're offering. Please reach out to them directly at support+tradein@1password.com, and they'll get the ball rolling. After emailing in, you'll receive a support ID from BitBot, our helpful robot friend, that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your email in our system and make sure it's made it to the right place.

Jack

• jmdkn
    jmdkn
    Community Member

Hi,

Here is my support ID if you can help me [#NVA-23999-551]
    I bought on the App Store 1Password.
    From yesterday, the Chrome extension doesn’t work. There is a pop up (see in attach)
    What can i do?
    Many thanks

• Hi @jmdkn:

As mentioned above, Chrome recently released a change to the code signing certificate used. As a result of this change, 1Password 6 for Mac no longer works with Chrome 99 or later. Since you've reached out to us via email as well, continuing that conversation would be the best bet. Keep an eye out for our reply, and we'll be able to get you going there.

Jack

ref: NVA-23999-551

• pjrobertson
    pjrobertson
    Community Member

This is frustrating, and makes 1Password 6 no longer usable with Chrome. Other than the option to 'upgrade to 1Password 7' already provided, for those that don't want to do this you could try:

1. Downgrading to Chrome 98 from here: https://chromium.cypress.io/mac/stable/98.0.4758.102
    2. Switching from Chrome to another browser like Firefox
    3. Switching from 1Password to another password manager (Bitwarden, Lastpass, Keepass etc.)

I went with option 1, and waiting for the flurry of comments to say that's insecure and a company that prides itself in security doesn't recommend it etc...

• Hey @pjrobertson:

Thanks for your additional input. As you noted, downgrading to Chrome 98 isn't something we'd recommend. If it's absolutely critical that you continue to use 1Password 6 for Mac, our recommendation would be to use Firefox, rather than downgrading Chrome. Additionally, we never want you to feel like you're trapped, so you're always able to export your data and move it into another password manager. If switching password managers is what you'd prefer, stay safe out there when it comes to selecting a replacement, and we'll be here for you in the future if you decide to give us another chance.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.