Can't get started on Mac. Asks me to scan code. Can't find setup code. App Store didn't send me app.

Options
EdBirnbaum
EdBirnbaum
Community Member

Registered, chose password at website. downloaded apps for iPhone and iPad. Tried to download Mac app, but just got instructions for free trial. Can't get past "scan set up code" which I can't find anywhere. "Manual" option demands key code which I can't find, either. HELP!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can't get started on Mac. Asks me to scan code. Can't find setup code. App Store didn't send me app.

Comments

• vellum
    vellum
    Community Member
    Options

tldr:
    The secret key is that long string in the emergency kit download.

If you've already set up the apps on your iphone & ipad, look for the key the logins. The 1password login will be at the end of the list.

the long version:

When the account was created, your browser generated a secret key and included it in the emergency kit.

The secret key is part of the account encryption & also recovers the account.
    (It's like the recovery key on a mac encrypted with filevault..)

The password you set will open the apps for daily use.

Here's the 1password page for clear details on where to find the key.
    https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

• Hello @EdBirnbaum! 👋

@vellum is correct (thanks for the help!), your Secret Key would have been generated when you first created your account and it consists of 34 letters and numbers, separated by dashes. You can find your Secret Key in your Emergency Kit: Download and save your Emergency Kit

If you don't have your Emergency Kit then do you have any devices that are still signed in at the moment? If you do, you can locate your sign in information there. Search for a 1Password Account item in your vault. You should see your 1Password account password and Secret Key there.

Let me know if that helps. 😊

This discussion has been closed.