Moving from mSecure to 1Password

Options
ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

Back in February 2019, @Ben said this: [ MrC Note: 1Password 8 cannot yet import 1PIF files - you will need to use 1Password 7 to use this converter suite ]
My brother uses mSecure and I've convinced him to try 1Password. He uses mSecure 4. Any updates since 2/2019 on this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.x

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @ajahn

You'll still need to install 1Password 7 to get 1PIF imports.

FYI: the comment wasn't from 2/2019 (1Password 8 isn't that old). That's the date the new version of the converter suite thread was written (there was a previous thread that with 52 pages of posts, seemed rather unruly). I added the comment only late last year.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

@mrc So how would that work for my brother? He probably wants to start with the 14-day free trial. Is there a way to choose version 7 when doing that? If so, I suppose he would import the mSecure data, then upgrade to version 8? He uses a MacBook Pro running Monterey. He also has mSecure on his iPhone. Does he need to export mSecure to a 1PIF file? How does he do that? Thanks.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@ajahn

Your brother can download 1Password version 7 here (which works fine with a 1Password.com account):

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

Note that version 8 is still in beta for macOS.

He can then do the export on his Mac, convert using the appropriate variant of the msecure converter, and finally do the 1PIF import. Once imported, if desired, he could update to 1Password 8 beta.

I'm assuming his mSecure data is synced on his Mac / iPhone. On the Mac, he'd be exporting from either version 3 or 5 of mSecure (version 4 is iOS). The converter suite's README explains how to export from each of the password managers. Here's version 3's export instructions (version 5 has a separate converter and instructions):

The converter suite will walk him through the process. Point him in my direction if he needs assistance.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Thanks for this information. I just looked on my Mac and sure enough, I'm also running 1Password 7, so that's good for him. I will let him know.

On a side note, he recently forgot his mSecure 5 password (don't ask me how that is possible - he told me he's been using his thumbprint for years and has never needed to use the password). He recently had to erase his phone and re-load from iCloud and now he can't open mSecure. He reached out to mSecure and they told him that they may be able to help him unlock it if he still has v4 on his iPhone (surprised that they can do that). He happens to still have an old copy of v4, so we'll see. I've also helped him to recover his passwords in Safari. We'll see how all that works out. It boggles the mind that he could use a thumbprint so long that he can't remember his password. LOL. Anyway, I suggested that this might be a good time to get 1Password Family and allow his SO the capability to recover his account if he forgets the password again -- but I doubt that will ever happen after this crazy mess... Thanks again for your help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@ajahn

I hope he's able to get his passwords; this is why 1Password requires periodic master password entry. It's too dangerous to allow a biometrics-forever mode.

Cheers!

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Couldn't agree more!

• Hey @ajahn:

Just following up on this, was your brother successfully able to get his data migrated into 1Password using MrC's converter? Let me know!

Jack

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P He was able to export his passwords out of Safari into a CSV file. He then imported that into 1P from the my.1password.com. He got back over 200 passwords. He is still waiting to see if he can break into his mSecure app. He is loving 1P. Thanks for following up.

• @ajahn

On behalf of Jack, I'm happy to hear that your brother was able to recover a significant number of his passwords from Safari. I hope that he's able to get access to, and then import into 1Password, the rest of his passwords currently stored in the other password manager.

We're here if there's anything else that we can do to help. 😊

This discussion has been closed.