Does deleting a custom category prevent archived entries from being restored?

Options

Our company has created some custom categories that appear to be copies of the "file drawer" category (I'm not sure of the original description - maybe Mobile SDK Credentials?). Anyway over time we have created some clutter and so are looking to delete some of these categories. However we have archived entries with these categories that we don't want to lose. A) is it possible to delete a custom category if there are archive entries using it or does it delete all entries including archived ones with that custom category? (so you just have to rename it "obsolete"?) B) If you can delete the custom category, what happens if you then restore an archived entry that was using that custom category? Does it just retain the original, non-customized description/label? Thanks for any guidance! (I'm hoping I don't have to test this empirically by actually creating a NEW custom category just to then delete it)

1Password Version: 7.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Referrer: forum-search:custom categories

Comments

• Hey @SusanShultz:

This is a great question! Deleting your custom category will prevent any new items of that type from being created, but won't make any changes to any archived items, and those archive items can be restored just as they were. Thanks for reaching out, and let me know if that helps!

Jack

• SusanShultz
    SusanShultz
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for the quick (and ideal) answer! That's great to know that we can do that cleanup without affecting our past archived entries. Thanks!

• You're very welcome @SusanShultz! Please get in touch if there's anything you need in the future.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.