How to rename a tag?

Options
winklerrr
winklerrr
Community Member
edited February 2022 in Windows

How can I rename a tag in the Windows version of 1Password without having to rename all the tags on the items manually?

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

I have two PCs, one running 7.9.828 & 8.5.0.

Only on the 7.9.828 PC, I can right-click on the Tab to change (in the Tab listing on the left side of the screen) > "Rename/F2" and "Delete".

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @winklerrr !

How can I rename a tag in the Windows version

Actually, this feature is not implemented in 1Password 8. As a workaround, you could remove 1Password 8 and install 1Password 7 again. Here you are able to rename tags. After renaming, you could switch back to 1Password 8 again. It's not a perfect solution, I know, but there is no other way at the moment... ๐Ÿ˜•

• Hi folks, @DenalB is correct here. We recognize this is not an ideal solution and it's on our list of things to improve going forward. Thanks for bearing with us on this!

ref: dev/core/core#9335

• malSaysHi
    malSaysHi
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi,

Brand new user here. I just migrated over after years of being a password safe (pwsafe) user.
    I had really looked forward to reorganizing my 600+ passwords using the tagging features.
    For example, in password safe the annotation for sub "folders" was "."

I downloaded V8 to start but

• It can't directly import pwsafe files
    • I can't import 1pif files

I downloaded V7 so I could use the mrc-converter-suite suite.

Folks - As a new user V7 for me was an upgrade from V8.

I'm working through tons of renaming the imported pwsafe tags and improving on the organization now. V7 has been a pleasure to use.

I know this may be disheartening to hear. And I know that doing a re-write of a mature product (which is what I'm guessing V8 is) is a massive undertaking.

But I figured you'd want to hear this from a new customer who's heard enough good things about your product that I paid up front for a year without testing the waters first.

Keep chugging.
    I can't wait until V8 has parity, especially around tags.
    In the meantime unless you tell me it represents a security risk, I've gone "back" to V7.

I welcome getting flamed if I'm just so new that I've missed some alternate way of doing this stuff in V8.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@malSaysHi

I canโ€™t speak to most of your items here, but will ask about the converter. Is there something that could be adjusted in the converter for you regarding your tags, to be less work overall?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @malSaysHi !

You can stay with v7 as long as itโ€™s working for you. Actually, there is no need to upgrade to v8. ๐Ÿ‘

• malSaysHi
    malSaysHi
    Community Member
    Options

@DenalB Thanks. That's good to know.

@MrC I found the converter easy to use. To me there's enough value there I would have paid for a copy. I did a small import and then another big one using the converter to get to 1pif. Honestly, I liked that the converter did one thing and did it well. As a new user I didn't have to become an expert on the file formats. I just put in my data and it spit out what 1Password wanted. As a new user knowing I could have done more to pre-manipulate the data would have been wasted on me.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

OK, @malSaysHi , thanks for the info.

I was going to offer to customize a one-off for you if that would help configure your tags the way you need them, if that was possible and useful. But is sounds like you're good now.

• Hey @malSaysHi:

On behalf of MrC and DenalB, you're very welcome! Please get in touch if you need anything in the future.

Jack

• OLCE
    OLCE
    Community Member
    Options

+1 vote to add back the "rename tag" option in 1P8

• Hello @OLCE,

Thanks for your message. Renaming tags is a feature that we're working to bring to 1Password 8 Production. We don't have a release window to share, but if you would like to try it now, it is available as of 1Password for Windows Beta 8.8.0-215:

Use 1Password beta releases

Please let us know if you have any other concerns.

• Hello again all,

Just wanted to send out a quick update - Renaming tags is now available in the latest Production version of 1Password 8:

1Password Releases

• OLCE
    OLCE
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried it, and it seems to work well.
    An unexpected effect (but not bad) : automatic merging
    Example : I had 3 tags "Printing Services" (5 items), "Printing" (2 items), and "Print" (2 items)
    To test whether 1P would give a warning when renaming a tag to a tag which already existed:

• I tried to rename "Printing" to "Printing Services"
    • there was no warning and no error... but it merged the items from "Printing" to "Printing Services" and the tag "Printing" disappeared

An interesting experience

• Hey @OLCE, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad the hear the feature is working well for you ๐Ÿ˜„

Let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

Ali

• Harpoon
    Harpoon
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. I'm busy migrating over to 1Password from LastPass and taking the chance to do some housekeeping.

Can you rename tags from the browser UI? If you can, I've not found the right place so far - do you need the full client installed?

Thanks,
    Chris.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

If you're busy migrating and housekeeping, I recommend you install the desktop app. It's made exactly for this. It's way more convenient to do all the tedious tasks of housekeeping. It's way better for editing than the website or the browser plugin. With it, renaming a tag is just right-click a tag in the tag hierarchy.

• ag_mike_d
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello @Harpoon,

Thanks for your message. When using 1Password.com, this guide discusses how to Create and manage tags, but it is not possible to edit tags there.

@Tertius3 is correct here, and thanks for the reply and mentioning how to rename tags in the app while right-clicking the tag in the left sidebar.

Here's a link if you don't already have the 1Password 8 app installed on your devices, Download 1Password 8.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

This discussion has been closed.