edited March 2022 in Mac

trouble figuring out how to setup 2fa?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to setup 2 step verification

Comments

• Hey @hmwbkk:

Great question! Are you looking to use 1Password as two-factor authentication for other services, or enable two-factor authentication for 1Password?

If you're looking to use 1Password as two-factor authentication for other sites, this guide here should help: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

If you're instead looking to enable two-factor authentication for your 1Password account itself, this guide should get you on the right track: Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

Let me know how that goes, or if you run into any trouble along the way!

Jack

• hmwbkk
    hmwbkk
    Community Member
    Options

That is the second time you helped me, Thank you very much,
    Answer is I am trying to log into a vpn and i pressed 2step verification and what a mistake,
    because I cannot get the google authenticator in my android phone to work for some reason?
    In the mac I downloaded a 2FA and that also is not helping, so I had to finally log in with my apple ID.
    now i hope to get 1password to be my authenticator if that is possible or else I have
    to turn off 2 step. sincerely thanks
    HW

• hmwbkk
    hmwbkk
    Community Member
    Options

I have read this section and watched Youtube and still cannot get this to work.
    Correct me if I am wrong please;\
    They say in the app to first find websites that I want to have 2 step verification with and search to see if
    they have 2 step verification so I can QR code them through 1password.com?
    Is that correct?
    The first company I wanted to get the codes for is Nordvpn and it showed them in the article
    but it did not show any QR codes>?
    Thanks for any feedback. I did write this to support but not hear back yet.
    HW
    So I had to turn off 2 step verifact.

• Ben
    Options

@hmwbkk

Thanks for any feedback. I did write this to support but not hear back yet.

We're happy to help either here or by email, but let's please try to keep the conversation about each subject in one place, so we can avoid duplicating efforts. 🙂

In the mac I downloaded a 2FA and that also is not helping, so I had to finally log in with my apple ID.

Could you please clarify what you mean here? What exactly did you download on your Mac? Also, is your NordVPN account now set up such that you have to log in with your Apple ID credentials instead of a username & password specific to the VPN?

The first company I wanted to get the codes for is Nordvpn and it showed them in the article
    but it did not show any QR codes>?

Have you already set up 2FA with NordVPN? If so, generally you need to disable 2FA and re-enable it in order to get a new QR code / 2FA secret.

Ben

• hmwbkk
    hmwbkk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the questions.
    1Could you please clarify what you mean here? What exactly did you download on your Mac? Also, is your NordVPN account now set up such that you have to log in with your Apple ID credentials instead of a username & password specific to the VPN?
    A. I downloaded a 2FA from the Apple App store. On the bottom of the desktop on my mac mini Google Chrome
    it says Authenticator. It says on the first page 2 FA guides, has a Search bar, and below that says Recommended
    a list of Download Authenticator App
    Authenticator App by 2 Stable.
    B I could not log in with my regular username and password, so it gave an option to use my Google account or my Apple ID since their tech support says answers are at least 24 hours.
    Then Google did not work either, so I tried my Apple ID, then i was logged in but they kept asking me in the app on the android phone and on the mac to give them my credit payment for which plan I wanted.
    They took it as a new account and no way to communicate with them. No way to get the android to work since I was locked out.
    Since the only way to get some help is on their website on the mac and chat with them.
    They wanted proof I was the owner of the account with my regular email.
    A jpg or png of my credit card statement. I told them I sent it to them after a long time searching for the statement from the bank and they should have it from last week. They refused just as the reason last week I sent it to them was because they would not let me change my email unless I proved to them with a document from the bank statement of two years ago.
    I found it and sent it to them and I figured last week they would have it and they refused.
    So They then unlocked my account and I was able to log in with my username and password.
    Also they removed two step verification because the authenticator did not seem to work.

1. Have you already set up 2FA with NordVPN? If so, generally you need to disable 2FA and re-enable it in order to get a new QR code / 2FA secret.
      A. I had setup but they do not help and I never got a QR code after signing up. I did not know how to use the authenticator if I did not have a QR code from them.
      So I decided to just not use it.
      I told them i cannot wait for the year to be over and go to another VPN company that is consumer friendly instead of
      rude.
      At 75 I seem to have a bit of difficulty figuring some of these things out.
      Microsoft now offered no password necessary. Walmart also has a no password necessary.
      I guess they send a OTP to the phone?
      I wanted to setup 1password for 2 Step verification but had trouble figuring it out?
      I see that there is a search for these apps like Nord and Dropbox, and get the QR code from them.
      My first search was to find Nord and it was listed but did not show a QR code.
      I saw Drop box listed and since signing up for the 1password.com 7 from the 6 I had,
      I deleted that vault and I really do not want to deal with them, they are pushing a password manager now.
      They made it sound like it was free, and after adding a couple in I saw that the free version was only 50 items so I deleted those.
      Nord also is now pushing constantly their password manager. I do not want to deal with them on anything.
      I hope I answered your questions?
      I still need help though on finding a good Authenticator for the Mac mini,
      and learn how to correctly use it or get the 1password aspect to work and not need an Authenticator for the Mac and the Android phone.
      Appreciate any help you can give me.
  • Ben
    Options

@hmwbkk

I see my colleague Lydia has continued to work with you on these points via email. I'm going to close this thread so we're not having the same conversation in two places, but please continue to work with Lydia until you're satisfied. Thank you!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.