Migrating local vault and standalone license

Options
laleleoni
laleleoni
Community Member

I would like to migrate my standalone license and local vault from my old laptop to my new laptop. I dont have an 1Password account and dont want to use cloud syncing. I simply want to locate the vault file and transfer it without having to export all my passwords to an unprotected format, and importing them again. Where can I find it? How do I do that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @laleleoni

What version of 1Password for Mac are you using? The data storage location will vary depending on version.

1Password 7

The vault database, backup files, license files, and Watchtower vulnerability data are contained in a single folder:

• ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/

1Password 6

Support file locations depend on where the app was installed from:

• Mac App Store version: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/

• AgileBits Store version: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

(1Password 4 is the correct folder name for 1Password 6 and earlier.)

Please note that standalone vaults will not be part of 1Password moving forward. One of our founders, Dave, has written in detail about this here. 1Password membership is something I'd strongly encourage you to consider if you'd like to move forward with us.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• laleleoni
    laleleoni
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Ben,

thanks a lot for your reply. I use 1Password 7 and found the files in the folder you indicated. I copied those to my new MacBook into a new folder in ~/ Library/ Group Containers (which I had to create, it didn't exist). There was no opvault file, which 1Password on my new MacBook was asking me for, so I added the vault from the latest backup. That worked insofar as I now have a vault called "Primär" (primary), the original name on the old computer, but it didn't insofar as it's empty. What do I need to do in order to have my full vault visible there ?

I also tried importing from location on my Mac but no file from within that Group Containers folder could be opened in the import window.

Any help would be much appreciated.

All best,
    lale

• laleleoni
    laleleoni
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, after a restart it worked - all passwords were available. Now I have another question: I would like to use the Chrome plug-in. It required logging in, but I do not want to sync my passwords withn the 1Password server and create an account there. It's precisely why I have all my passwords stored locally and have opted for a standalone vault, not a membership. How can I use the browser extension?

• laleleoni
    laleleoni
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, after a restart it worked - all passwords were available. Now I have another question: I would like to use the Chrome plug-in. It required logging in, but I do not want to sync my passwords withn the 1Password server and create an account there. It's precisely why I have all my passwords stored locally and have opted for a standalone vault, not a membership. How can I use the browser extension?

• Hey @laleleoni:

Only our classic extension supports standalone vaults. It's available for download here: Get the 1Password classic extension

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• laleleoni
    laleleoni
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Jack.P_1P , Thanks for your advice - I did not know there were two extensions. It worked (i.e. I could install it) however it does not offer any auto-complete /autofill (like it did in Safari on my old browser). So I have to manually click on the icon in the tool bar and copy paste or fill from there. This is really cumbersome – I enjoyed that autofilling worked on all websites... Can anything be done about this? Is this so to encourage people to join the cloud / account / subscription model? Note also that the icon in the toolbar is not blue like it is in Safari but greyed out , see attached

• Hey @laleleoni:

The 1Password classic extension relies on 1Password mini to fill, and won't offer inline suggestions the way 1Password in the browser does. As Ben touched on above, the future of 1Password is memberships, and 1Password in the browser would allow for the best filling experience with your 1Password membership.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.