How to set up 1password with an existing Phantom installation

danito
danito
Community Member
edited February 2022 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I am using version 6.8.9 of 1Password on macOS Sierra and am wondering how to set up the Phantom wallet integration with an existing installation of it. The blog post does not seem to address this, only new installations.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6

Comments

• Hey @danito:

Great question! While it's possible to add an existing Phantom wallet into 1Password, by manually entering the details, 1Password 6 is not able to create the Crypto Wallet item type. If you're using a 1Password account, you can create a new Crypto Wallet item by using 1Password.com.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• danito
    danito
    Community Member

Thanks! Will newer versions of the standalone app support crypto wallets? I plan on upgrading when I get my new Mac, but I prefer local app to subscriptions.

• Hey @danito:

Just so you're aware, we no longer sell standalone licenses for 1Password 7, and haven't for some time now. At this point, getting the newest version of 1Password would require a 1Password membership. We do have a few trade in offers that you may be eligible for, so getting in touch with my colleagues over email would be the best bet.

Please send an email to support+tradein@1password.com with a link to this thread, and they'll be able to go over your options. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to connect the dots and let them know!

Jack

• danito
    danito
    Community Member

Hey @Jack.P_1P,

sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I was a bit busy lately, but finally got around to writing that email.

I have not yet received the reply with the support ID, but I will post it here once I get it.

I have a few questions regarding the upgrade to the subscription model:

1) Can I upgrade now while still using macOS 10.12.6 Sierra? Or will I have to wait for my new Mac with Monterey?
    2) I am sure it will be easy to migrate my local vaults to the new subscription?
    3) Is it possible to export vaults from the subscription and create local backups or have the local version of the vaults backuped by TimeMachine? This is very important to me as some of the information I save in 1Password is absolutely critical. Should a meteor crash into 1Passwords data center or time travelling dinosaurs take over I would like to have a fallback...

Thanks!

• Hey @danito:

Thanks for following up!

1) Can I upgrade now while still using macOS 10.12.6 Sierra? Or will I have to wait for my new Mac with Monterey?

While 1Password 7 requires macOS 10.13 or later, you can still migrate to a 1Password account using 1Password 6 for Mac.

2) I am sure it will be easy to migrate my local vaults to the new subscription?

Indeed, plus our migration team will be able to help you out as well and make sure everything is sorted properly.

3) Is it possible to export vaults from the subscription and create local backups or have the local version of the vaults backuped by TimeMachine?

While it's always important to keep an eye out for time traveling dinosaurs, 1Password keeps a copy of your data on each of your devices where you've currently signed in. For example, if a meteor were to crash into our data centers, all of your data would still be available in the 1Password apps on your devices. Similarly, if you're on a plane without internet access, you can still open and unlock 1Password and view your items, without needing any connection to our servers.

Additionally, I was able to locate your ticket, and one of my colleagues will be in touch soon with next steps. Please keep an eye out!

Jack

ref: YHX-95724-298

• danito
    danito
    Community Member

Thanks! I have now received an email from support and will perform the actions mentioned within in the next couple of days, once I have some time.

Just one last question regarding point 3: I assume that local data can also be backed up, e.g. using TimeMachine? So even if some crazy corruption were to happen that syncs across all devices and servers, I'd still be good if I had a backup?

• @danito

Yes, the 1Password database would be backed up by Time Machine as it lives in your user folder. Time Machine is one of my recommendations for folks like yourself.

• danito
    danito
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

Thanks!

I assume that by "folks like yourself" you mean hyper paranoid ones. ;)

Can't deny it. I was even a bit unsure about the email 1Password support sent me about upgrading at first. I don't like clicking on links in emails.... lol

This discussion has been closed.