Bring back tag collapsing in 1Password8

Options
rollingtatoo
rollingtatoo
Community Member

In 1Password 7 we could collapse tag groups... Somehow this feature has been cancelled in 1Password8?! That's a big no-no, huuuuuuge bummer for enterprises sharing tons of password between employees, for which tag list can become insanely long.... Please bring that feature back ASAP..........

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:tag

ยซ1

Comments

• Hey @rollingtatoo:

I can definitely understand how collapsing tags would be useful, so I've shared your thoughts about being able to collapse tags internally. While I can't promise anything, we use feedback like yours to inform the future of 1Password!

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-362

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

I would like to add another +1 to this request. I am still using 1Password v7 on my old Mac and always miss the collapsing tags when switching over to my newer Mac or my Windows machine where there's v8 installed. I have a lot of data to organise ( In total more than 2.000 items) so tags and the possibility to collapse nested tags are quite crucial to a productive workflow.

• Hello @norysang,

Thanks for your feedback. As requested, I've cast a vote on your behalf for this feature request of collapsing nested tags. ๐Ÿ‘

ref: IDEA-I-362

• bonizak
    bonizak
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my +1 to vote for the return of collapsing tag groups.
    I am looking to return to V7 for no other reason.

• Hello @bonizak,

Thanks for your +1 for the return of the ability to collapse nested tags. I'm sorry to hear that you're looking to return to 1Password 7 for Windows, because this is not available in version 8. I've passed your feedback along to our Product team.

ref: 30957811

• bonizak
    bonizak
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Just an FYI, I finally had the time to go back to V7. It sucks but it is what it is.
    I really want the collapsed tag support.

• bonizak
    bonizak
    Community Member
    Options

Argg.. so it's either collapsing Tags with continually needing to relogin via web browser in V7, or no collapsing tags but no relogins in V8. oy :(

• Hello again @bonizak,

I'm sorry for any frustration reverting to 1Password 7 for Windows has caused.

While version 7 of the 1Password app is no longer supported, when the app is unlocked, 1Password in the browser should continue unlock itself once you reopen a browser window. Please ensure that the app integration setting is still enabled:
    1. Open your browser, right-click the 1Password icon in the address bar, and choose Settings.
    2. Under the General heading, enable Integrate with 1Password app as needed.

I've passed your new feedback along to the Product team about the missing support for collapsing tags. Thanks!

ref: 30957811

• bonizak
    bonizak
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike
    It was already enabled

• Thanks for letting me know, @bonizak.

I'm sorry for the troubles you've been experiencing as result of reverting to version 7. My only other though lies with the extension itself. Could you try:
    1. Removing 1Password from your browser and closing all browser windows.
    2. Open and unlock 1Password 7,
    3. Re-open your browser and install 1Password in the browser.
    4. Ensure that app integration setting is enabled.

While the 1Password 7 for Windows desktop app is opened and unlocked, do subsequent launches of your browser unlock the 1Password extension automatically?

I have no additional news to share about when collapsing tags in 1Password 8, may be available, but keep an eye out for updates on our 1Password Releases page.

• bonizak
    bonizak
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike , that seems to have stopped the continual logins.

• Excellent! Thanks for letting me know, @bonizak. I'm happy to hear these steps helped with 1Password in the browser. ๐Ÿ‘

• random1nonstop2
    random1nonstop2
    Community Member
    Options

hi
    In the previous version you could click on the arrow in front of the tag name and expand/collapse the content of the tag. This appears to be missing. Why are we going backwards in features?
    In the previous version when you use a nested tag (i.e._ bills/yearly/paid_) it shows that item in each tag individually. This functionality does not extend to the 8 version

1Password Version: 8.10.3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: ubuntu 22.04
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Hello @random1nonstop2,

Thanks for your feedback about the ability to collapse tags. I've merged your thread into this ongoing discussion to keep things tidy.

We're always interested in learning from our customers where improvements can be made, and when possible, act on those suggestions to enhance the 1Password user experience. I've sent your comments along to our Product team. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

If you have any other suggestions, just let us know!

ref: 31990429

• PRBUK2010
    PRBUK2010
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

This is one of the reasons I also reverted to V7. I have previously used 1P to store my Software Licence Keys - a hierarchy with Tags of Software Licences / Vendor / Product / Version. Most of the time "Software Licences" is a single line in the tag view, to be expanded when looking for a key. Since V8, 1P opens with this fully expanded every time....

I use 1P through the Tag structure most of the time.

To add to the frustration, V7 used to open where you last had the tree open. V8 does not, so significant scrolling through a long list is now required every time (unless this has been fixed in more recent versions).

Today I get a warning that V7 with the Classic Extension will stop working due to the end of 'Manifest V2' - the solution is an upgrade to V8 (hence why I am looking though the forum!)

There are several features which I use regularly in V7 which were removed from V8 (example CTRL + Backslash ), hence a forced upgrade is a step backwards.

Assuming that an upgrade of V7 to Manifest V3 is not going to happen, it would be good if there was some focus on restoring functionality removed in V8 (several examples are detailed in this forum).

Using 1P to store Licence Keys in this way was a secure and convenient method that was driven by exploiting the functionality of the product. This is a minor, but significant change that breaks the usability. I doubt that I would have used this feature if V8 was the first experience....

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @PRBUK2010, thanks for taking the time to write in about this! I've filed your feedback regarding tags with our Product team ๐Ÿ˜„

There are several features which I use regularly in V7 which were removed from V8 (example CTRL + Backslash ), hence a forced upgrade is a step backwards.

1Password 8 includes the Ctrl + \ Autofill shortcut, and this shortcut can be customised under โ‹ฎ > Settings > General > Keyboard Shortcuts.

However, if the tag issue remains too much of a deal breaker, I would like to note that if you have a 1Password account, our modern extension still works with 1Password 7:

I hope this helps, but if you have any further feedback or questions, let me know!

ref: 32733974

• random1nonstop2
    random1nonstop2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    Any plans to back tag collapse?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@random1nonstop2

I don't have any updates to share at the moment but I've let our Product team know that you're still hoping to see this feature be added to 1Password 8 so that they're aware. Thank you again for the feedback.

-Dave

ref: PB-31990429

• Hello @MrSecPlow,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry for any disappointment caused by the lack of ability to collapse nested tags.

We have no further information to share, but please know that your feedback has been passed along to the appropriate teams for review.

As always, I suggest keeping 1Password up-to-date and reviewing 1Password Releases for the latest news about updates and fixes coming to 1Password.

We appreciate your continued patience.

ref: dev/core/core#8161

• You're most welcome @MrSecPlow. We understand how this missing feature can cause troubles when dealing with many nested tags. I've passed your additional feedback here, along to the team. ๐Ÿ‘

• JWCasson
    JWCasson
    Community Member
    Options

I have been with LP for years and have just decided to consider another secure PM with a better UI, and for that reason I have downloaded the 1P version 8 for Mac. In using it I have immediately discovered the failure of a feature to expand/collapse the tag structure...the main feature for organization! The result is a long, unwieldily menu that reveals unnecessary information. The entire UI really falls apart without have thnat "simple", expected feature, in my opinion. That omission is causing me to question whether I'd be happy using the 1P PM. I VOTE FOR THIS TO BE A FEATURE. I would say it's actually a necessary feature. Please note my opinion for this. Thank you.

• Hello @JWCasson,

Thanks for giving 1Password a try and providing this feedback about how important this feature is to you! I'm sorry to hear that the inability to collapse tags has you questioning the use of 1Password.

These details have been noted for the Development team by way of the internal issue we currently have filed.

If you have any other suggestions, just let us know!

ref: dev/core/core#8161

• tomabg
    tomabg
    Community Member
    Options

one more +1 to implement collapsible in Windows Client UI

• tomabg
    tomabg
    Community Member
    Options

one more +1 to implement

• Dave_1P
    Options

@tomabg

I've passed along your request to the team as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• PRBUK2010
    PRBUK2010
    Community Member
    Options

If I look back at the change log, of the last 21 releases (as far back as the log goes), only 6 do not include some metion of a change for LASTPASS users. Of those 6, most contain a minimal change such as "Security Update", "Library Update" and "SSH Signing".

Whilst trying to appeal to new customers is important to maintain a viable product, this request is from 1PASSWORD users who for the last 2 years, at least, have been trying to restore functionality that existed in a version we used to use. Let's wish this ticket a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

It would be nice if you were to look after your existing customers who have been loyal to you for years and who pay you an annual fee for this great product.......