Multiple questions after switching to a membership plan

Options
pk2023
pk2023
Community Member

I'm finally getting around to asking these questions. It's mainly to make sure I'm doing things right.

• I have been using a Family plan for at least 2 years.
  • I used to have a standalone vault before getting the Family plan.

Everything is working properly as far as I can tell but I want to confirm a few things.

• The 1Password app on my Mac is from the Mac App Store. Is that the place I should be getting it from or should I be getting it from the 1Password.com site? (I don't even know if I can get it from the 1Password.com site.)

• I have files stored on Dropbox (which I just pulled down). I think this is where I stored my standalone vault. The timestamp on the files are from 2019. I'm assuming this confirms this is my standalone vault which is not being used anymore and that I can now delete these files since I'm using a Family membership plan.

• Where are my files stored now? From the support documentation, it says that my files are backed up so if something goes wrong, my files can be retrieved. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Paul

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: 7.9.3
OS Version: MacOS 11.6.5

Comments

• @paulkondo

Welcome aboard the membership express.

You can use the version from the Mac App Store or directly download it from us. Either one will work just fine. If you wish to switch to the direct download, this link will help with that.

🔀 How to install the 1Password app from 1Password.com after installing it from the Mac App Store

If all of your data is available in your membership, you can remove the file. I am a big hold onto things for a bit sort of guy. I typically go with a six-month to 1 year wait period before I totally remove the files. But again, I would highly encourage you to make sure they are available in your membership.

Your membership data is stored on 1Password.com. 1Password backups cover the most asked questions. Yes, backups are kept. They are stored on 1Password.com

• pk2023
    pk2023
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Is there a diff between the Mac App Store app vs the one from your website?

• @paulkondo

There are a few minor differences between the two versions that come to mind.

The Website version:
    1. Can make sure of the setup code scanner for on-screen scanning of 2FA codes. * See note below.
    2. Beta's are an option if desired.
    3. Faster updates as we do not need to wait for the app review process from Apple

The Mac App Store version:
    1. Can't make use of the scanner for on-screen scanning 2FA codes due to Mac App Store guidelines for screen recording/viewing. * See note below.
    2. Beta's are not allowed in the Mac App Store.
    3. Slightly longer update times due to the review process from Apple. Typically only a few days in my experience.

Note:

• You can scan a code from within 1Password for the browser. So this is an almost null component for a lot of folks nowadays.
This discussion has been closed.