To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master Password

Options
MikeV99
MikeV99
Community Member

With a subscription one has a password and key for it. I see in preferences/accounts how to chg the subscription password. However, how does one change the Master Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @MikeV99:

Your account password as configured on 1Password.com is the password you'll use to unlock your 1Password apps. Let me know if that makes sense!

Jack

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

My account password is different than the Master Password I have used for years. I use a different password with my.1password.com account than I do to unlock 1PW on the devices.

• Hey @MikeV99:

Thanks for clarifying. The 1Password apps unlock slightly differently depending on what vaults you may have:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

If you have a Primary vault, and have successfully migrated all your items to your 1Password account, then removing your Primary vault will allow you to unlock the 1Password apps with your account password. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

Keeping the primary vault allows me to maintain a local copy backup. I see no reason to remove it.

• Hey @MikeV99:

In that case, you can change your Primary vault's password from Preferences > Security. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

I changed it on one device but it does not change on the other devices.

• Blake
    Options

I changed it on one device but it does not change on the other devices.

Hmm. That doesn't seem right. You may need to disable and re-enable syncing on each device, can you give that a shot and see if that fixes things?

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

Eight devices ... uhm ...

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I think that the way a new password propagates across all devices requires one to use the old password at least once before the new one works. Have you tried that?

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

Don't remember but will give it a whirl.

• Hey @MikeV99:

Just checking up, were you able to have your password change across all devices? Let me know!

Jack

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

Primary vault password does not sync across devices. I am also surprised that the subscription uses the primary vault master password rather than the subscription password.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2022
    Options

@MikeV99

The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in.

2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Password for that membership account

3. If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Password of the second account that was added.

This discussion has been closed.