Feature request: Generic “store card” type for credit cards

Options

Hi — this is a request for a convenience feature. I have several credit instruments which are associated with something that looks like a credit card, walks like a credit card, and quacks like a credit card, but is only usable at a particular store or website. Most of these cards are administered by banks, like Citibank or Synchrony, and have all the attributes of a Visa or MasterCard (for instance) except the ability to participate in the normal payment networks of those systems. I end up using one of the available choices to identify these cards, but think that it would be more graceful if I had a type designation — like “Store Card” — to remind me that their use is restricted. I don’t know if this is as simple as adding a new entry to a pick list, or if there are additional complications, but I’m sure that I’m not the only person storing the data for store cards in 1Pw. Tanx for considering the feature request!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Tburgueso, thanks for raising this possibility. There's a lot to think about here.

I wonder if being able to create a custom item type might help with this scenario - perhaps one with some but not all of the attributes of a credit card item, or perhaps limited to filling only at certain URLs so that it doesn't pop up when you're doing everyday shopping at some unrelated website. What do you think? 🤔

• Tburgueso
    Tburgueso
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, @PeterG_1P — if I’m understanding your proposal correctly, it sounds more like Self than Smalltalk. Yours is a more general solution, I think, but when you start bringing the complexity of variant behavior into the picture, you’d be opening the door to the creation of record instances which aren’t well-documented or well-understood by the end user who defined them. That, of course, makes the T.S. problem much more complicated, because I’d bet that a lot of the records which might violate the Principle of Least Astonishment would be created by people who don’t understand what they were trying to do well enough to help you help them. I was just looking for a way to mark a card with a “none of the above” type, which is a simpler model.

I do like your idea of providing some mechanism to suppress a card’s use at fill-in time, though, whether the card is a store card, or simply some “normal” credit instrument which I need to keep active, but which I have no intention of ever using for any purpose. (I kept a Wells Fargo Visa card active for years which only continued to live because canceling it would have resulted in the loss of tens of thousands of reward points, for instance.)

• Hey @Tburgueso:

Just to confirm, while the dropdown shown contains choices, you can type your own card type into the type field in 1Password 8:

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• Tburgueso
    Tburgueso
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, good — I hadn’t realized that that functionality was present; I’ve grown used to pick lists which have an explicit “Add” entry, after which the newly added item has the same status as the original list members. That's probably because it's the way the database editor I’ve been using most recently works. However, the current widget provides a completely satisfactory solution for my original request. Tanx!

• On behalf of Jack, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.